Ted Lilly/Gustavo Chacin News

Chisoxfn

From the trib: The Sox's pitching staff has allowed one run in its first two games of the second half. At the same time, Sox special assistant Bill Scherrer was in Toronto scouting left-handers Ted Lilly and Gustavo Chacin.

My 2 cents: There is zero chance that the Jays will deal Chacin to the Sox unless its part of a larger deal that gets Burnett or another high caliber starter to Toronto. I also feel that as of now Ted Lilly is off the market. However, if the Jays slump and fall out of the race, Lilly could be had (it will cost a decent amount), but he's a solid lefty that could move into the pen during the post-season and give the Sox innings. He's also been on fire the past two months.

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 11:47 AM)
Holy s*** I would love to have Gustavo on the Sox that would be huge

I just don't see why the heck the Jays would deal a youngster that they and so many seem so fond of. It just doesn't make sense, especially if they are getting more prospects in return (which is what the Sox could offer).

Only thing I could see, like I said earlier, is some type of 3 way deal, but even than I'd have my doubts. Is Gustavo really that good? I saw him pitch yesterday and he looked alright. I mainly think he's doing good because he has a deceptive delivery, but his stuff doesn't overly impress me at least (I only saw his start against he Sox earlier in the year, part of last nights start and bits of pieces of a few other games).

I do realize he's young, but am I the only one that thinks people are over-hyping him?

It's a far Far Far stretch to go from us having a scout at the BJ game to us trading for Chacin or even Lilly. We may also be looking at Hillenbrand or Hinske who both can backup either 1st or 3rd or we could be interested in Bautista who is also rumored to be on the block.

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 03:05 PM)
It's a far Far Far stretch to go from us having a scout at the BJ game to us trading for Chacin or even Lilly. We may also be looking at Hillenbrand or Hinske who both can backup either 1st or 3rd or we could be interested in Bautista who is also rumored to be on the block.

Hillenbrand would be a great addition. That would allow us to trade or put crede on the DL and he could play 1st base for us next year when we lose Kong :ph34r:

Edited by ScottPodRulez22

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)

Batista/Lilly both make a lot of sense. Hilly could make some sense, but I think the Sox are going to hold tight on the Crede front and see what Crede does these next few weeks. If things go well, they'll stick it out with him, but if he struggles and finds himself on the DL, a deal will be made (I'm convinced the best option is Omar with Juan moving to 3rd).

So I take it I'm the lone person that thinks he's over-rated. His stuff is nothing special and he gets by with deception, imo. He gives up a good amount more hits per inning pitch and doesn't have high strikeout totals.

Consider me un-impressed and dissapointed if the Sox acquire him (cause I think it would cost an assload to get him).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 08:07 PM)
Batista/Lilly both make a lot of sense.  Hilly could make some sense, but I think the Sox are going to hold tight on the Crede front and see what Crede does these next few weeks.  If things go well, they'll stick it out with him, but if he struggles and finds himself on the DL, a deal will be made (I'm convinced the best option is Omar with Juan moving to 3rd).

They could get Hinske though for little more than picking up his contract and they'd feel no pressure at all to have him sitting on the bench behind Crede and Kong, that would not be the case with Hilly.

Btw, I also prefer Omar, but Crede stays at 3rd, Juan super sub.

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)
They could get Hinske though for little more than picking up his contract and they'd feel no pressure at all to have him sitting on the bench behind Crede and Kong, that would not be the case with Hilly.

Btw, I also prefer Omar, but Crede stays at 3rd, Juan super sub.

If Crede is healthy yes, if Crede is hurt or something than I said to me the best option would be getting Omar and moving Juan to 3rd. I think thats better than Juan at SS and Randa at 3b.

To me Juan is a very strong defensive player (wherever he is in the infield). The big reason I'm not a fan of moving for Hilly or Hinske is they both blow ass defensively at 3rd and I don't want to see the Sox hurt their defense (if Crede goes on the DL) by acquiring a guy that can't field (I have the same feelings for Huff).

If the Sox trade for a 3rd baseman or a middle infielder, they better be able to field the ball.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 03:08 PM)
So I take it I'm the lone person that thinks he's over-rated.  His stuff is nothing special and he gets by with deception, imo.  He gives up a good amount more hits per inning pitch and doesn't have high strikeout totals.

Consider me un-impressed and dissapointed if the Sox acquire him (cause I think it would cost an assload to get him).

I see him at best a three most likely a four. Most scouts ( from what i have read in the past) and even most blue jays fans don't think he is nearly as good as he is pitching. They are just riding his streak of good pitching and are ready for him to fall back down to earth.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)
I see him at best a three most likely a four. Most scouts ( from what i have read in the past) and even most blue jays fans don't think he is nearly as good as he is pitching. They are just riding his streak of good pitching and are ready for him to fall back down to earth.

Good...I just see everyone drooling about him and personally I think they are crazy.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)
Good...I just see everyone drooling about him and personally I think they are crazy.

It also makes no sense that they would trade someone they have control over for the next four years or so. They need to add talent at the major league level without subtracting it. They have a good enough sytem ( and free agent money in the next two years) that trading young major leaguers should not be needed.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 12:20 PM)
It also makes no sense that they would trade someone they have control over for the next four years or so. They need to add talent at the major league level without subtracting it. They have a good enough sytem ( and free agent money in the next two years) that trading young major leaguers should not be needed.

Exactly. I could see to a lesser extent Lilly (if they fall out of the race) but as of now I don't see why they would deal major league players when they are trying to build the club and have a system. Especially when everyone is saying they are capable of adding payroll the next couple years.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 08:08 PM)
So I take it I'm the lone person that thinks he's over-rated.  His stuff is nothing special and he gets by with deception, imo.  He gives up a good amount more hits per inning pitch and doesn't have high strikeout totals.

I haven't seen chacin pitch, but I can't see the sox going after a young guy and then count on him to help in the playoffs. They should get a guy like Lilly who is versatile and has thrown in pressure situations. Lilly gets his fair share of K's, which is what the sox need from a SP/ long reliever