59 World Series

steiny48

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 06:25 AM)
I saw that happen three times, from our seats in 1st Balcony, Sect. P, Row A.  1992, 1973, and 1971.  Without question the most painful was 1971.

The seventh game of the 1971 Stanley Cup Finals is the one time I wanted to butt my head through a brick wall over a sporting event. They had a 2-0 lead and Bobby Hull hits the crossbar. Montreal gets that fluke goal in the second period by Jacque LeMaire and then tack on 2 more. Dryden makes a great save on Pappin in the last minute of play. The Hawks also lost to the Canadiens in the finals in 1965 and 1973. They lost to Toronto in 1962. Edited by Yossarian

My dad also saw the Cup being presented on Stadium ice to the Maple Leafs in 1962 (Game 6), and watched Game 7 of the 1965 Finals from the Montreal Forum on tv, Montreal won that game 4-0 to win the series in 7 games.

The 1961 Blackhawk Stanley Cup clinching game was Game 6 at The Olympia in Detroit, he watched it on tv. So, he watched the Stanley Cup being presented on Stadium ice 4 times ('62, '71, '73, '92), ... all to the opposing team.

That is the biggest reason I want the White Sox to go for it all this year, none of us are getting younger.

The seventh game of the 1971 Stanley Cup Finals is the one time I wanted to but my head through a brick wall over a sporting event. They had a  2-0 lead and Bobby Hull hits the crossbar. Montreal gets that fluke goal  in the second period by Jacque LeMaire and then tack on 2 more. Dryden makes a great save on Pappin in the last minute of play. The Hawks also lost to the Canadiens in the finals in 1965 and 1973. They lost to Toronto in 1962.

My dad and I were in Montreal on business about 1990 or so, and we go into this sports bar on St. Laurent Ave., 3800 block, called Champs. We're drinking some cheap pitchers of Carling's Black Label (yes, really, Carling's Black Label) and we're watching all the hockey games on tv.

In walks former NHL official Ron Fournier and Jacques Lemaire. At that time, i believe Lemaire was a Montreal Canadiens asst. coach or was employed in some capacity by the team.

I went over and introduced myself to Lemaire and ask him to come over and talk to my dad ... said we're from Chicago, Blackhawk season ticket holders, etc. Lemaire is very gracious and comes over, we get to talking about his career, different players, etc.

And my dad says, "You were a great player but I must admit, there was one time in particular when I cursed your ass". Right then, the owner comes over and Lemaire says to him, "get these two guys from Chicago anything they want", we order another pitcher of Carling's. Knowing full well my dad is referring to 5/18/71, I bring the topic of that series up to him.

Lemaire says to my dad, "We got lucky, I got especially lucky. When I took that shot, I was just trying to dump it in and get off the ice. Tony (Esposito, Hawk goaltender) never saw it."

He was very gracious with us, spent about 15 minutes talking hockey with my dad and me ... very humble and admitted the goal was a total fluke.

That encounter ... I believe it was a divine intervention, designed to help my dad and me feel a little better about the disaster that was May 18 1971, and let us get past it.

I will admit ... it is still a bad, bad day when it rolls around every year.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)
My dad and I were in Montreal on business about 1990 or so, and we go into this sports bar on St. Laurent Ave., 3800 block, called Champs.  We're drinking some cheap pitchers of Carling's Black Label (yes, really, Carling's Black Label) and we're watching all the hockey games on tv.

In walks former NHL official Ron Fournier and Jacques Lemaire.  At that time, i believe Lemaire was a Montreal Canadiens asst. coach or was employed in some capacity by the team.

I went over and introduced myself to Lemaire and ask him to come over and talk to my dad ... said we're from Chicago, Blackhawk season ticket holders, etc.  Lemaire is very gracious and comes over, we get to talking about his career, different players, etc.

And my dad says, "You were a great player but I must admit, there was one time in particular when I cursed your ass".  Right then, the owner comes over and Lemaire says to him, "get these two guys from Chicago anything they want", we order another pitcher of Carling's.  Knowing full well my dad is referring to 5/18/71, I bring the topic of that series up to him.

Lemaire says to my dad, "We got lucky, I got especially lucky.  When I took that shot, I was just trying to dump it in and get off the ice.  Tony (Esposito, Hawk goaltender) never saw it."

He was very gracious with us, spent about 15 minutes talking hockey with my dad and me ... very humble and admitted the goal was a total fluke.

That encounter ... I believe it was a divine intervention, designed to help my dad and me feel a little better about the disaster that was May 18 1971, and let us get past it. 

I will admit ... it is still a bad, bad day when it rolls around every year.

Great story. Thanks very much. :cheers

how could  going to a hockey game be fun

Forrest, thanks for your stellar contribution to this thread, and let me leave you with this bit of wisdom:

Life is like a box of chocolates, Forrest. When you go to a hockey game, you never know what you're gonna get.

QUOTE(forrestg @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 03:52 AM)
how could  going to a hockey game be fun

thats not right.....obviously this guy hasnt been to a hockey game....my advice is take a chance on one of those 10 dollar tickets this year...you might even like it.....

I'll take a hawks game over a bulls game anyday (after mj) and probably even a hawks over a Sox/DevilRays or Sox/KC game.....thank god they have different seasons though that would just be too tough to decide