Tonight was a good thing............

Tadahito Iguchi

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 12:41 AM)
You guys seriously don't get it.  This is for if we make it to the playoffs, Ozzie will have the flexibility/confidence to go to any one of his guys to get whatever job done.  If you guys seriously think Ozzie would plug all these guys in at once in a playoff game, you're simply f***tarded.  Ozzie's just trying to keep his guys fresh, if they're going to be on this roster.

The question needs to be asked, do you want your guys to be tired now or in October when it counts? IIRC we don't have many rest days in September either.

Folks, this is an honest question about an honest concern; I am not trying to stir things up or simply disagree to disagree. So...If Ozzie implements a "rest the regulars" policy so they are not banged up in the playoffs, could it cause them to get rusty by not playing together as often? The infielders (especially the SS and second baseman) need to always be on the same wavelength and always know and anticipate where eachother is. That comes with playing together continuously. I agree, so far it has not been a problem, but what if he decides to rest the regs even more as we go through the hot August stretch run? So my concern: will breaking that up frequently on the stretch drive cause them to lose their "gel" when playing together?

Really, this may not be an intelligent concern, but it is an honest one, so set me straight.

Edited by SpringfieldFan

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 10:22 AM)
Folks, this is an honest question about an honest concern; I am not trying to stir things up or simply disagree to disagree.  So...If Ozzie implements a "rest the regulars" policy so they are not banged up in the playoffs, could it cause them to get rusty by not playing together as often?  The  infielders (especially the SS and second baseman) need to always be on the same wavelength and always know and anticipate where eachother is.  That comes with playing together continuously.  I agree, so far it has not been a problem, but what if he decides to rest the regs even more as we go through the hot August stretch run?  So my concern: will breaking that up frequently on the stretch drive cause them to lose their "gel" when playing together?

Really, this may not be an intelligent concern, but it is an honest one, so set me straight.

If it has worked for the first 99 games of the season, why wouldn't it continue working for the final 63?

Well, the regulars have played a s***load of games together, so if they haven't "gelled" yet, they aren't going to. As far as getting rusty, I'd be more concerned of them getting tired. The regulars will still end the season playing a ton of games. A day off here and there can only do them good. Its not like they don't do anything on games they have off anyways. For the most part, they have the same pregame regimine as they do on games they start.

I understand you're being concerned. I just find it hard to believe that giving your starters a game off once or twice a week would do much damage.

Folks, this is an honest question about an honest concern; I am not trying to stir things up or simply disagree to disagree.  So...If Ozzie implements a "rest the regulars" policy so they are not banged up in the playoffs, could it cause them to get rusty by not playing together as often?  The  infielders (especially the SS and second baseman) need to always be on the same wavelength and always know and anticipate where eachother is.  That comes with playing together continuously.  I agree, so far it has not been a problem, but what if he decides to rest the regs even more as we go through the hot August stretch run?  So my concern: will breaking that up frequently on the stretch drive cause them to lose their "gel" when playing together?

Oh Heaven for bid someone ask a question to rock the boat a little...

:headshake

Agree to disagree... it's such a nice thought.

Not concerned, Springfield.

I agree with YASNY and greasywheels. :gosox1:

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 10:37 AM)
Well, the regulars have played a s***load of games together, so if they haven't "gelled" yet, they aren't going to.  As far as getting rusty, I'd be more concerned of them getting tired.  The regulars will still end the season playing a ton of games.  A day off here and there can only do them good.  Its not like they don't do anything on games they have off anyways.  For the most part, they have the same pregame regimine as they do on games they start.

I understand you're being concerned.  I just find it hard to believe that giving your starters a game off once or twice a week would do much damage.

Well, I do tend to agree with you and Yas. My (probably irrational) concern is that Oz might give the starters even more rest now that the division isn't in doubt. I may be wrong, but if he did that, I would wonder a bit because it would seem unconventional to me.

Ah crap, I need to get off this paranoia. I am worrying about a consequence that may not happen from a decision that may not happen.

Thanks, guys.

You guys seriously don't get it.  This is for if we make it to the playoffs, Ozzie will have the flexibility/confidence to go to any one of his guys to get whatever job done.  If you guys seriously think Ozzie would plug all these guys in at once in a playoff game, you're simply f***tarded.  Ozzie's just trying to keep his guys fresh, if they're going to be on this roster.

There would be nothing here to b**** about then would there? Look people who would you rather lose to Baltimore or KC? I thought about this on my way to work.. I would rather lose a meanless game to KC, beat Baltimore Helping MIN get into the playoffs.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 10:39 AM)
Oh Heaven for bid someone ask a question to rock the boat a little...

:headshake

Agree to disagree... it's such a nice thought.

Its cool, if folks think I am mistaken on something, I want to know about it, cause I just may be :). Now the term "f***tard"... well, at least I have another term to add to my vocabulary, lol.

Edited by SpringfieldFan