ESPN Reporting 2 Trades

White Sox Josh

article:

Yankees: Chacon acquired from the Rockies

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com

Friday, July 29, 2005

News

The Yankees acquired pitcher Shawn Chacon from the Rockies on Thursday in exchange for minor leaguers Ramon Ramirez and Eduardo Sierra. Chacon will start Saturday's game against the Angels. "Saturday we have a starter now. It's as simple as that," general manager Brian Cashman told the Associated Press. "Our team is working hard on the field. We're working hard in the front office to be in a position to improve the club. It seems like we've been plugging holes on the run the last few weeks at an unusual pace." Chacon is 1-7 with a 4.09 ERA and 1.44 WHIP this season.

Views

The Yankees have been looking high and low to upgrade their pitching staff and they got a decent starter with Chacon. His 4.09 ERA is inflated by the fact he had to pitch his home games at Coors Field. In his six starts away from Denver, he has recorded a 3.12 ERA. His all-around numbers should improve in Yankee Stadium and with the very good lineup supporting him.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 11:31 PM)
the question is why would they want Hideo Nomo, who they picked up off waivers.

They need starting pitching really bad. Wang is still hurt, Brown is on the DL again, Leiter is a "stop the bleeding" move. Is Chacon awesome? No, but he's OK, and will probably eat some innings, and who knows, maybe he needed a trade to shoot his career back up.

I do agree with you on the Nomo thing, but I guess it's the "throw it against the wall and see what sticks theory" I mean past Mussina and RJ, their starting pitching is really bad right now. Ahhhh... reminds me of the Sox 5th starter debacle of the last few years