Guillen points his finger @ defense, not Contreras

greasywheels121

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Guillen points his finger at defense, not Contreras

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune staff reporter

Jose Contreras hasn't pitched more than six innings in any of his last four starts, but White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen excused him from any blame Thursday.

"This game was different because we didn't make the plays for him on the field," Guillen said after the Sox's 5-4 victory against Toronto. "It wasn't his fault. If we make the plays, he would have had a better outing. That is why we moved another arm (Jon Adkins) to the bullpen."

Contreras needed 51 pitches to get through the first three innings, but his pitch count doubled in the next two innings and he had to be lifted.

Third baseman Joe Crede's throwing error led to three unearned runs in the fourth. Contreras allowed a double to Vernon Wells in the fifth and a walk and wild pitch raised his pitch count to the point where Guillen had to pull him in the humid conditions.

Contreras is scheduled to start Tuesday at Yankee Stadium, where he will face his former New York Yankees team for the first time.

Sugar daddy

Guillen said he would pay any fine imposed on left-handed ace Mark Buehrle, who was thrown out of Monday's game for hitting Baltimore's B.J. Surhoff with a pitch.

"I don't expect him to be suspended," Guillen said. "He will be fined, but I'll take care of that."

Bob Watson, Major League Baseball's vice president of on-field operations, has received the umpires' report and is expected to receive a videotape of the developments on Friday.

Guillen contended Buehrle shouldn't be suspended because Buehrle was trying to protect a one-run lead with the tying run on base in the sixth when Surhoff was hit.

Extra innings

The Sox have sold more than 107,000 tickets for their three-game series with the Yankees on Aug. 19-21. … Willie Harris went 1-for-3 with a double and walk in his first game for Triple-A Charlotte on Wednesday. … General manager Ken Williams plans to scout some of the Sox's minor-league teams next week. It will be the first time Williams will see Charlotte outfielder and former No. 1 pick Joe Borchard since late April. Borchard has raised his batting average from .163 on May 6 to .252 with 20 home runs and 50 RBIs. "He wants to be here and has the ability," Williams said.

Edited by greasywheels121

Whomever said it before is correct: Crede makes the most untimely errors on this ballclub. Someone with the means needs to find out of all his errors, how many led to a run. I'm estimating it has to be fairly high.

I'm not overly critical of Crede, because his defense is stellar; but he sure bobbles/ overthrow baseballs at the worst moments.

Good pitchers pitch through errors. They happen. That doesn't mean you throw meatballs that get smoked the rest of the inning.

I'll never forget a kid on my high school team a few years back...guy got on on an error with 2 outs. So everything will now be "unearned." He walks the next 2 guys, then gives up a grand slam.

Comes to the bench after he gets out of the inning and says "unearned grand slam".

Terrible mentality.

Also, Crede just needs to learn how to set his damn feet and/or throw off the correct foot when he has the time. He's too much of a show off at 3rd sometimes.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 10:22 PM)
Whomever said it before is correct: Crede makes the most untimely errors on this ballclub. Someone with the means needs to find out of all his errors, how many led to a run. I'm estimating it has to be fairly high.

I'm not overly critical of Crede, because his defense is stellar; but he sure bobbles/ overthrow baseballs at the worst moments.

I agree with you that it seems like he makes untimely errors. But he also seems to get homeruns and RBIs when the Sox need it the most.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 10:22 PM)

He's made 7 errors all season, I don't that his errors have added up to that many runs.

In all seriousness...our defense has really been hurting us lately...it's to the point that it seems like our defense is almost the only thing costing us games.

We lost 1 in Boston on an error. We lost 2 in KC because of defense. We lost a couple of those Oakland games before the break because of errors. I can't remember if errors cost us any games in Detroit.

If we can stop some of these stupid errors, we'll find ourselves on another 8 game winning streak. Our pitchers haven't been pitching poorly for the last month, but we've lost quite a few games on balls thrown away or mishandled.