JUGGERNAUT

Should Ozzie get a free pass?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Should Ozzie get a free pass?

• YES
    • NO
    • OTHER

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay15.html

The home centipede (that's what he reminds me of when it comes to his columns on the White Sox) has a point ths time. I'm assuming Ozzie is Christian. He must have been absent the day they preached about "removing the log in your own eye, before removing the speck in your neighbor's". You can't condemn someone for one thing & turn around & say something even worst.

Greeting his friend with outlandish remarks was one thing. I looked the other way because I felt it was a private circle & reporters should have treated it off the record.

But referring to Iguchi as being "queer" in front of female reporters is STEPPING WAY OVER THE LINE!

What it shows is that Ozzie is not respectful of other cultures. Yet he wants us to be respectful of his. Whatever that may be, because it sure is not from his home country.

I agree with Kotex boy. If any other manager in MLB refers to his #2 hitter as being "queer" he'd be crucified by reporters. But not Ozzie. It's like the double standard we endured as Sox fans with Sammy Sosa & Barry Bonds. Bonds is bad, Sosa is good. That's what reporters wanted us to believe. We know how that turned out.

I think more than a reprimand JR should talk to Ozzie directly & ask him to spend some time with the team psychiatrist so that he may help convince Ozzie not to call his MVP "queer". Asian people in general are very reserved people. That doesn't make them queer.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 07:21 AM)
http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay15.html

I think more than a reprimand JR should talk to Ozzie directly & ask him to spend some time with the team psychiatrist so that he may help convince Ozzie not to call his MVP "queer". Asian people in general are very reserved people.  That doesn't make them queer.

Mariotti may be correct in assuming Guillen deserves a punishment, but once again he does so by means of complete ignorance and disrespect of our organization.

Yes, Reinsdorf and Mariotti have had several fueds which extend back more than 8 years. Yes, he basically led to Mariotti's termination from ESPN 1000. But I'm tired of every downfall of this team being tied directly to Reinsdorf. It makes all his points, even those which are valid, appear less credible. s***, even last week when he wrote a rare complimentary piece on the ballclub the traditional Reinsdorf bashing was included.

Mariotti jumped upon this latest Guillen quote to further antagonize The Chairman. It was worthy of press before, no doubt, but his sentiments throughout the article illustrate a deep dislike for Reinsdorf which fails to subside.No else one besides myself thought it was ridiculous of Mariotti to suggest Reinsdorf resign if he doesn't inact punishment upon Guillen? As if this such an incident worthy of that.

Now I've said before the conditions of releasing these quotes were suspicious, and still believe so, but I'll admit it may be necessary from a public relations standpoint to suspend him for several games. Event though we're all bound to hear Mariotti clamor on how he "made the powerful Reinsdorf bow to his demands!"

It must burn him up inside to know this story failed to live beyond three days. As I expected, everyone assumed it's "ozzie being ozzie," said their grumblings, and moved on. Back to worrying about winning baseball on the South Side.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I believe it is valid to point out JR's position in baseball and the apparent contradiction. I'm surprised this wasn't coming from the other way. National media headlines, baseball's diversity chair supports homophobe.

IMHO, it would be JR's call, not Kenny's to suspend Ozzie. And while he's suspended have him coached in PR, please.

For all the fans that wish we would get more national publicity, if this is our spokesperson, do we really want it? And we all know if this was Busty Baker speaking, we'd be offering to help drive him out of town.

I felt the most self serving line was regarding Ozzie gyrating his hips behind Jay.

Sometimes your worst enemy is your best critic.