Source of the problems

VAfan

This may sound silly, but I think this team plays with the weather. In the heat of the summer, and from what I've heard, it's pretty hot in Chicago this year, the ball flies out of Comiskey. In years past, our hitters were trying to crush the ball in the cool weather and it wasn't working, hence the poor start.

This year, the team was manufacturing runs in the early part of the season, before the ball started carrying. So what does this mean? I think it means that the club will get back to their normal style of play as the weather gets cooler.

Panicking is best done if we were fewer than 5 games up now and free-falling. The sox aren't free falling, they are in a slump.

And as for rumors hurting the team...if the players can't deal with that, then they shouldn't be playing. And if you don't think that your employer doesn't always have your replacement in the back of his/her head, you're crazy. The Sox can't control the rumors, so play the game and play your hardest. Ozzie will get his team motivated again.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 01:52 PM)
This may sound silly, but I think this team plays with the weather.  In the heat of the summer, and from what I've heard, it's pretty hot in Chicago this year, the ball flies out of Comiskey.  In years past, our hitters were trying to crush the ball in the cool weather and it wasn't working, hence the poor start.

This year, the team was manufacturing runs in the early part of the season, before the ball started carrying.  So what does this mean?  I think it means that the club will get back to their normal style of play as the weather gets cooler.

Panicking is best done if we were fewer than 5 games up now and free-falling.  The sox aren't free falling, they are in a slump. 

And as for rumors hurting the team...if the players can't deal with that, then they shouldn't be playing.  And if you don't think that your employer doesn't always have your replacement in the back of his/her head, you're crazy.  The Sox can't control the rumors, so play the game and play your hardest.  Ozzie will get his team motivated again.

Interesting I must say. We were dominating in April. Probably not much of an argument or anything cause its only one month but we were very hard to beat in the cold. This pitching has always been consistent this year even through the hot weather but the cold weather definately seemed to play in our favor.

Edited by Ozzie Montana

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
Interesting I must say.  We were dominating in April.  Probably not much of an argument or anything cause its only one month but we were very hard to beat in the cold.  This pitching has always been consistent this year even through the hot weather but the cold weather definately seemed to play in our favor.

Our offense has been a joke all year long. We have had a few periods of hotness. And I think Frank Thomas did have a huge effect on that. They started getting hot in June and dumped off after Frank got hurt. He is someone that by himself cant carry the team anymore. But he is still an imposing force and makes people around him better. This is why they need Ken Griffey Jr. He would provide the same thing and I believe this one guy would make the team a hell of a lot better.

We dominated April because our pitching was out of their minds. We have this record because of our pitching and our pitching only. To put any laurels on this offense is a joke.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 02:01 PM)
Our offense has been a joke all year long.  We have had a few periods of hotness.  And I think Frank Thomas did have a huge effect on that.  They started getting hot in June and dumped off after Frank got hurt.  He is someone that by himself cant carry the team anymore.  But he is still an imposing force and makes people around him better.  This is why they need Ken Griffey Jr. He would provide the same thing and I believe this one guy would make the team a hell of a lot better. 

We dominated April because our pitching was out of their minds.  We have this record because of our pitching and our pitching only.  To put any laurels on this offense is a joke.

We cant count on Junior to be the savior of this offense. At this point, the deal looks dead. What if we dont get him? Are people going to just give up on them because we didnt get a superstar?

according to Reds chief operating officer John Allen. "There's nothing to it!" Allen said. "There's no trade talk going on! There's no trade! I'm not commenting on it. Where do you guys get this stuff? Who promulgates this story is beyond me."

We have to count on this offense coming through for themselves.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
We cant count on Junior to be the savior of this offense.  At this point, the deal looks dead.  What if we dont get him?  Are people going to just give up on them because we didnt get a superstar? 

We have to count on this offense coming through for themselves.

If we dont get any help our pitching will have to pitch their brains out and our offense will have to click in the offense to give us a chance.

Our pitching can do it. But ask the twins about pitching and no offense in the playoffs.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 01:19 PM)
I only hope the sparkplug will be 100% when he returns.

I hope that people start to try and get basehits instead of hitting the ball to mars with RISP and less than 2 outs. That of all things should solve a lot of problems.

Does no one else think the Sox should bring up another hitter in Adkins' space to try to spark the offense?

Is Chris Young or Jerry Owens a lefty? If so, why not platoon them with Anderson or give Rowand or Dye a day off? I'd love to see a couple of our young outfielders try to spark our offense. Both Young and Owens have speed too, and all are very good fielders from what I understand.

And I agree with the poster who pointed out Crede's horrible slump. I'd use Blum over there a couple days a week. Uribe, on the other hand, seems to be hitting better now. There's no way I'd give Iguchi a day off.

I have no doubt we will break out of it, but management should make some moves to facilitate that.

Edited by VAfan

I blame it all on OZ. I don't think KW wanted Adkins up. OZ liked him in ST & wanted 7 guys in the pen so he could keep the starters down to 6IP. So far the strategy has been a disaster. Adkins is bad & I don't mean good.

Meanwhile he's consumed a spot that should have gone to Owens.

The guy has 45BB, a .398OBP, & 32SB. What does that spell? Leadoff hitter. Anderson is not known as a base stealer & Timo sucks as one.

When Pods injury kept him from being an effective base stealer the pressure was turned off opposing pitchers. Our offense was suspect with that pressure turned on. Now it's downright sleep-inducing. You have to have a guy at the top who can put that pressure on. If not Owens then Young or even Iguchi. But hell no not Timo!

Send Adkins down & bring up Owens. If Owens & Anderson get the job done then say goodbye to Timo when Pods returns.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
I blame it all on OZ.  I don't think KW wanted Adkins up.  OZ liked him in ST & wanted 7 guys in the pen so he could keep the starters down to 6IP.  So far the strategy has been a disaster.  Adkins is bad & I don't mean good.

Meanwhile he's consumed a spot that should have gone to Owens.

The guy has 45BB, a .398OBP, & 32SB.  What does that spell?  Leadoff hitter.  Anderson is not known as a base stealer & Timo sucks as one.

When Pods injury kept him from being an effective base stealer the pressure was turned off opposing pitchers.  Our offense was suspect with that pressure turned on.  Now it's downright sleep-inducing.  You have to have a guy at the top who can put that pressure on.  If not Owens then Young or even Iguchi.  But hell no not Timo!

Send Adkins down & bring up Owens.  If Owens & Anderson get the job done then say goodbye to Timo when Pods returns.

Everything you say makes perfect sense.

However Ozzie has some sort of unnatural manlove for Timo. When asked about his MVP, I was surprised he didnt say Timo. Timo has occupied some critical ABs this year and has played a myriad of positions he is not meant to. Timo is a pinch hitter. He is not a leadoff hitter or a starter. We had Konerko playing a tired first base because Ozzie would of had to have parted with Timo to bring up Gload at the time. Gload sat down and Timo stayed up. The only reason Timo is not in tonights lineup is because a lefty is on the mound. But I promise you the minute a righty trots to the mound, Timo will be back running slow, and one handing the fly.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 09:55 PM)
Everything you say makes perfect sense. 

However Ozzie has some sort of unnatural manlove for Timo.  When asked about his MVP, I was surprised he didnt say Timo.  Timo has occupied some critical ABs this year and has played a myriad of positions he is not meant to.  Timo is a pinch hitter.  He is not a leadoff hitter or a starter.  We had Konerko playing a tired first base because Ozzie would of had to have parted with Timo to bring up Gload at the time.  Gload sat down and Timo stayed up.  The only reason Timo is not in tonights lineup is because a lefty is on the mound.  But I promise you the minute a righty trots to the mound, Timo will be back running slow, and one handing the fly.

I totally agree with you and Juggs.

I checked out the Barons' website finally to get a little more on Owens, who is the lefty and 24, and Young, who is a righty and 21. Because of age and speed and the fact he hits from the left side, I agree with Juggs that Owens should be brought up to hit lead off with Adkins sent down.

The Barons are tearing it up, having won 8 in a row, and have a lot of pretty good players leading them, including Young, Owens, Sweeney, Tracey, a revitalized Honel, etc. There is no reason these AA players can't jump up here when they are hot and stay reasonably hot.

C'mon KW. Get it done. You've got an off day tomorrow to make these moves! Otherwise, our 10-game road trip after the Yankees could get brutal. If this team ever starts doubting itself, all the close games could turn against us a lot like happened for the Nats. We're better than the Nats, but our margin for error is razor thin.