The real curse

BainesRules

I am a frequent visitor to the boards, but rarely post. As a long time White Sox fan, I have been conditioned to fear the worst. However, I believe we have absolutely no chance of making the playoffs. In fact, I will be shocked at this point if we even match last seasons win total. Am I alone; am I crazy; does anyone else have any optimism left. I always try to change loyalties; I wish I could give up Sox fandom and become a Yankees fan, so I can cheer for a winner, but no matter how hard I try, I always find myself going straight to stories on the Sox. Forgive my unfocused rant, but I am just trying to make sense of why I keep wasting my time rooting for a team that will never, ever amount to anything better than second place.

QUOTE(BainesRules @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 12:26 AM)
I am a frequent visitor to the boards, but rarely post.  As a long time White Sox fan, I have been conditioned to fear the worst.  However, I believe we have absolutely no chance of making the playoffs.  In fact, I will be shocked at this point if we even match last seasons win total.  Am I alone; am I crazy; does anyone else have any optimism left.  I always try to change loyalties; I wish I could give up Sox fandom and become a Yankees fan, so I can cheer for a winner, but no matter how hard I try, I always find myself going straight to stories on the Sox.  Forgive my unfocused rant, but I am just trying to make sense of why I keep wasting my time rooting for a team that will never, ever amount to anything better than second place.

Do everyone a favor and go root for the Yankees. The Sox don't need fans like you

I disagree, the Sox need fans exactly like him. Fans that demand success, rather than living with mediocrity. The Cub fans live with mediocrity, and show up regardless, what incentive do the owners have to improve the team?

For years Reinsdorf said he would do something if the fans showed up...well, we've shown up, and they responded by getting us Geoff Blum rather than the bat we needed, which everyone could see we needed, especially after the loss of Thomas.

This team still has a great chance to win the division (they SHOULD NOT be able to lose it), but out chances of winning in the post season...I just don't see it.

QUOTE(the People's Champ @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 04:16 AM)
Do everyone a favor and go root for the Yankees.  The Sox don't need fans like you

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 06:50 AM)
For years Reinsdorf said he would do something if the fans showed up...well, we've shown up, and they responded by getting us Geoff Blum rather than the bat we needed, which everyone could see we needed, especially after the loss of Thomas.

Bingo. Reinsdorf tried convincing us that if fans showed up and we had a chance to win it all he would spend the money. Well, spend the money dammit! Pay all of Griffey's contract for all I care. Do something! For crying out loud we did absolutely nothing to replace Frank's bat and we were actually hitting when he was in the lineup.

If we wind up making no moves before Sept 1st (which is likely) and we wind up missing the playoffs then I will start the petition to get Jerry to sell the team. I'm sick of hearing how he'd trade all the Bulls Championships for 1 World Series. He needs to prove that is the case cuz he's all talk right now.

I have gone to so many games this year...and spent so much time and effort on this team, and now they are absolutely falling apart. I have decided that I'm not going to get too wrapped up in this s***. I still have tickets to 3 games...I will go to those and no more. But I am not going to stress over every pitch and every inning, because its causing me major stress. Its just a game, and I need to remember that.

I feel really let down. I hope they turn this around, but I'm prepared for the worst.

And we have a 7 game lead...unreal how I feel.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 07:29 AM)
I have gone to so many games this year...and spent so much time and effort on this team, and now they are absolutely falling apart.  I have decided that I'm not going to get too wrapped up in this s***.  I still have tickets to 3 games...I will go to those and no more.  But I am not going to stress over every pitch and every inning, because its causing me major stress.  Its just a game, and I need to remember that.

I feel really let down.  I hope they turn this around, but I'm prepared for the worst.

I feel your pain.

Last night when we made the last out, I felt physically ill. It was like I could feel the lead slipping to 3 games by the end of the week.

I don't want to hear any more of the "if we go .500 the rest of the year" crap.

We should be thrilled to go .500 the rest of the year the way we are playing.

Rowand, Dye, Iguchi, Crede, Everett, and Uribe are all automatic outs right now.

Iguchi has had a man on second and no one out numerous times in the last week and failed to move the runner over every time.

I am sick and scared right now. Freddy did not deserve what happened last night. Ozuna was the only player who any plan of attack against Santana. What the hell happened to Ozzie Ball, Smart Ball, Little Ball?

I have already been to 10 games this year and I am fearing the absolute worst. Maybe the experts were right. Maybe we are a 3rd or 4th place team that just played over our heads. I hope not and I will still be watching and cheering, but I am absolutely frightened.

It's called a SLUMP!

With 40 to go we are 7 games up. (Cle only has 36 left)

If we go 20-20, cle needs to go 26-10 (.722) just to beat us by 1 game.

The question is: Can the Sox go .500 the rest of the way?

Sox Sch

----

Bos-1

Sea-3

LA-3

Tex-4

KC-6

Cle-6

Det-8

Min-9

EDIT:

For the "we wont go .500 cause Im a pussy can have not trust in the sox" Fans...

WE ARE THE BEST TEAM IN THE AL, plus the are playing at 75%. Just wait till pods gets back, then it'll be apparent who the real MVP is.

Edited by scotty22hotty

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 06:29 AM)

I feel really let down.  I hope they turn this around, but I'm prepared for the worst.

On another message board mods are savagely bashing posters who express concern about the slumping Sox. Over and over it's repeated about that seven game lead. Well wasn't it 15 just a short time ago? I'd rather be 7 behind and streaking. The standings are just a snapshot. Baseball, especially the modern game is all about momentum. The White Sox are tanking as bad as any team I've ever seen. Isn't it galling the way the Twins hand us our head every August and September? Especially this weakened version of the Twins. Look at all that good young talent on the Indians too. I'll bet they can't wait to get some revenge in the last couple weeks of the season. Make no mistake about this, the Sox are in a tailspin and their opponents smell blood. Winning the next two games in that hideous dome is mandatory. The season is about to be won or lost and time is very short.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
I disagree, the Sox need fans exactly like him.  Fans that demand success, rather than living with mediocrity.  The Cub fans live with mediocrity, and show up regardless, what incentive do the owners have to improve the team?

This team still has a great chance to win the division (they SHOULD NOT be able to lose it), but out chances of winning in the post season...I just don't see it.

Bs, just look at the thread title. This is the same kind of pity-party Cubs fans have been having for decades. Woe is me, it's a curse. No, it's the f'n players, they're not good enough to win. (At least, until this year.) That's why losing just flat out sucks. It's not a badge of honor, there's nothing supernatural about it, you're just not good.

And everyone's got a right to be negative after this swoon, but saying the team has "absolutely no chance of making the playoffs" is such a tremendous crock of s*** when we still have (as you point out) a decent lead in the division. That screams 'Getting in on the ground floor,' not demanding success.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 09:10 AM)
And everyone's got a right to be negative after this swoon, but saying the team has "absolutely no chance of making the playoffs" is such a tremendous crock of s*** when we still have (as you point out) a decent lead in the division. 

Definately. We still should make the playoffs...but I am realizing that 'not making it' is becoming a possibility. I just hate when i look in the Sun Times and I see this team being compared with the '69 Cubs....yuck.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 09:13 AM)
Definately.  We still should make the playoffs...but I am realizing that 'not making it' is becoming a possibility.  I just hate when i look in the Sun Times and I see this team being compared with the '69 Cubs....yuck.

I'm fine with it. As a matter of fact.. I hope we lose the lead, only to regain it back.. barely make it into the playoffs... then kick the s*** out of everyone sweeping all the way to the series.

"White Sox make greatest comeback of the century"

BTW.. I'm only half serious.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 09:16 AM)
I'm fine with it. As a matter of fact.. I hope we lose the lead, only to regain it back.. barely make it into the playoffs... then kick the s*** out of everyone sweeping all the way to the series.

"White Sox make greatest comeback of the century" 

BTW.. I'm only half serious.

I don't care how we win it all...but these signs of lifeless hitting are scary.

if what you said happens, it would be exciting as hell.

But I'll take winning the division by double-digits :D

QUOTE(scotty22hotty @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 07:30 AM)
It's called a SLUMP!

With 40 to go we are 7 games up. (Cle only has 36 left)

If we go 20-20, cle needs to go 26-10 (.722) just to beat us by 1 game.

The question is: Can the Sox go .500 the rest of the way?

Sox Sch

----

Bos-1

Sea-3

LA-3

Tex-4

KC-6

Cle-6

Det-8

Min-9

EDIT:

For the "we wont go .500 cause Im a pussy can have not trust in the sox" Fans...

WE ARE THE BEST TEAM IN THE AL, plus the are playing at 75%. Just wait till pods gets back, then it'll be apparent who the real MVP is.

I wouldn't say we are the best team in the AL. I would say we have the best record in the AL, but we definitely aren't the best team.