Anyone ever visited all 30 MLB parks?

WilliamTell

My buddy has a crazy idea and wants to go to all 30 MLB ballparks in one summer. The earliest this would probably happen is 2008, right after we're done with college. We'd also probably have a third person going. I added up the mileage and it'd be anywhere from 12,000 to 13,000 miles. We'd be camping out instead of using hotels to save money. So I'm asking if anyone has done this before and if you have, if you don't mind saying what the price was I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

QUOTE(Bighurt52235 @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 01:20 AM)
$1500?  To be on the road all summer, with the price of gas and food?    I could be wrong, but that seems extremely low.

yeah I think 1500 for the tickets is what was meant. I'd think that I'd have to save about 4000 for it just for extra money to make sure.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 01:32 AM)
You guys could do pretty cheap seats, and get some good deals. Figure an average $15 per ticket, thats only $450. Its not like your going to be sitting behind homeplate or anything.

Gas is what is going to kill you however.

I say you could get away with the trip if you all brought 1500.

Yeah I'd want to sit close at the Chicago game and he'd want to sit close at the Atlanta game otherwise sitting far away would be fine. And we're splitting this trip up basically east of the Mississippi and west of it, except Minnesota and St. Louis would be on the eastern trip. But anyways we'd come home for whatever amount of time and then get ready to go out on the western trip. This is just all talk now, I guess I'd almost want to do it all at once but that's just me.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 12:39 AM)
Yeah I'd want to sit close at the Chicago game and he'd want to sit close at the Atlanta game otherwise sitting far away would be fine. And we're splitting this trip up basically east of the Mississippi and west of it, except Minnesota and St. Louis would be on the eastern trip. But anyways we'd come home for whatever amount of time and then get ready to go out on the western trip. This is just all talk now, I guess I'd almost want to do it all at once but that's just me.

Maybe you could hold a bake sale or like a Summer dream tour charity fund or call up ESPN tell them your story and they will film it if they slide you some dough to do it :huh

QUOTE(Spod=Ratings @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 01:46 AM)
Maybe you could hold a bake sale or like a Summer dream tour charity fund or call up ESPN tell them your story and they will film it if they slide you some dough to do it :huh

lol yeah that'd be cool. We could do a lemonade stand and hire the little girls down the street, they'd make like 10 times as much as I would.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 01:18 AM)
are you saying that just for the tickets? Because I was thinking 1200-1500 for the tickets also. Then another 2000 for food, gas, and camping.

Yes I think that is what the ticket cost will be. This is because you might have trouble paying just face value at some stadiums like Wrigley, Fenway, San Fran, Anaheim, NY. I thought those might go for closer to $100 but i'm not sure. Always better to plan for the worst.

I went to 7 parks on the east coast in may of 2003 with 2 friends. We were on the road 9 days total and stayed at a hotel only 5 nights.

We didn't have premium tickets, but we didn't have the cheapest ticket at every park either. We didn't stay at real expensive hotels. With gas prices obviously not as high as they are now, we each spent roughly $500.

I'd say it will cost you more than $1500, easy

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 12:42 PM)
I went to 7 parks on the east coast in may of 2003 with 2 friends. We were on the road 9 days total and stayed at a hotel only 5 nights.

We didn't have premium tickets, but we didn't have the cheapest ticket at every park either. We didn't stay at real expensive hotels. With gas prices obviously not as high as they are now, we each spent roughly $500.

I'd say it will cost you more than $1500, easy

Yep, I guess I'd better start saving even though it's nearly 3 years away. Who knows how much gas and tickets will be by 2008. Saving 4000 I'm sure will do it.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 01:13 PM)
Yep, I guess I'd better start saving even though it's nearly 3 years away. Who knows how much gas and tickets will be by 2008. Saving 4000 I'm sure will do it.

You'll have to put away about $100 a month until then. It would be a really memorable experience though.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 02:47 PM)
Strangely enough I was actually thinking about this the other day.  In like 3-4 years I was gonna shoot for.  Thankfully I've been storing money my whole life. :)

Yeah I've been storing money my whole life too. haha not enough though because as of now I could probably get to 8 or so ball parks with the money I have.

I thought really hard about trying to do this. My biggest advice to you would be to try to get sponsors. Write a ton of letters, see if you can get national restaurants like subway or something as well as maybe gas stations to sponsor you. It sounds like a long shot, but I'm almost positive I've heard of it being done before. Also, get in touch with your local paper, their sports section may be willing to give you money if you agree to write some sort of travel diary or something along those lines that they can publish in their paper. All of this seems like small possibilities, but it doesn't hurt to ask, and who knows, could save you a TON of money. maybe even contact MLB.

I think since this thing has been done so many times, i doubt people would want to sponsor anyone. It's just not that original anymore.

However, it is worth a shot. All you can be told is "no."

But if you're going to do this trip, start writing out your entire budget...think of everything you'll spend money on (and tack on some money because you might get an oil leak that cost 30 or so bucks to repair while in maryland like i did), then start saving accordingly. I never went on spring break during high school or college (followed the illini around), so it was easy to afford. There's some tricks, too, like using public transportation to get to the actual stadium...park somewhere outside the city, etc. Or bring your own scorebook with you instead of buying one for five bucks at every park (if it only comes inside the program). Just think it through, it's not that hard to do.

The hardest part will be laying out the schedule. And if you get rainouts...yikes.