Big day today

bighurt4444

To me, today is a huge day for the White Sox and the Indians. Currently the Sox have a comfortable 7 game lead in the Central. Not as comfortable as the 15-16 game lead they had a month ago, but still comfortable. With the Sox playing a double header and Cleveland playing Detroit. There is a possibility of some big momentum to be won today. The Sox can take a strong hold of that momentum if say, they win both games of their double header and then Cleveland loses. That would push the lead up to 8.5 games. Or, the Sox could lose both games and Cleveland could win, putting the lead at just 5.5 games. If that happens, the Central is offically back up for grabs. Thats why I think today is HUGE in determining if the Sox can finish the Central off or be in for a dog fight the rest of the season. Odds are the Sox split and Cleveland wins, but today has the potential to be a very big day for one team or the other. Let's hope it goes well for our White Sox!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, after not having a 4 game losing streak all year, the Sox have the chance after today to have their 2nd 4 game losing streak in a span of two weeks. I wonder how Hawk would sugar coat that? Hopefully, we sweep today, and that's not an issue. Time for Garland to step up and show he's the true ace of the staff.

For some reason, I think McCarthy is going to pitch very well today. I know common sense and past performance wouldn't suggest that, but sometimes you just have a feeling. Garland winning game one would be huge. Hopefully they can get off to a good start and carry it into the second game as well. But you're right, Hawk sometimes just needs to say what is really going on. The Sox have played terrible baseball the last couple of weeks and if they continue to play this poorly, they will NOT even win the AL Central. Sometimes the truth hurts, but they really need to kick it back in gear. In my opinion they will do just that, but time will tell.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 11:21 AM)
Good post Hurt. Alot of momentum can be won or lost today. Sox just have to go out and step it up.

They need to step it up,BIG TIME.

The worst I can hope for,is a split of the DH.But the Sox control thier destiny,and Garland can get them pointed in the right direction.And McCarthy had all that time at Charlotte to work on his stuff,I hope it's good today.

QUOTE(bighurt4444 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 11:22 AM)
For some reason, I think McCarthy is going to pitch very well today.  I know common sense and past performance wouldn't suggest that, but sometimes you just have a feeling.  Garland winning game one would be huge.  Hopefully they can get off to a good start and carry it into the second game as well.  But you're right, Hawk sometimes just needs to say what is really going on.  The Sox have played terrible baseball the last couple of weeks and if they continue to play this poorly, they will NOT even win the AL Central.  Sometimes the truth hurts, but they really need to kick it back in gear.  In my opinion they will do just that, but time will tell.

People said that every time he pitched this year. It hasn't worked so far and I'll bet it won't work again. 5 runs, easy.

Quite simply we're in the position now that if we play .333 ball the rest of the way (I think we're 5-10 in our last 15), we're not going to make the playoffs. We still control our own destiny. Basically, we have no one to blame but ourselves if we don't make it.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
People said that every time he pitched this year.  It hasn't worked so far and I'll bet it won't work again.  5 runs, easy.

I'll take that gentlemen's bet. I say McCarthy will go at least 6 innings and will not give up more than 4 runs. You say 5 runs easy, I say no way.

QUOTE(bighurt4444 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 11:38 AM)
I'll take that gentlemen's bet.  I say McCarthy will go at least 6 innings and will not give up more than 4 runs.  You say 5 runs easy, I say no way.

Yeah,that's about right.McCarthy will go 6 innings (7 if he's on fire like that no-name that pitched for Texas last night).

Our offense has become the college basketball version of a defense-oriented college basketball team. When the game is close, we hae a great chance to win. If the other team gets out to any type of substantial lead....the game is over. We severely lack the fire power to come back from a big lead (Steve Karsay as the exception).

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 10:42 AM)
Besides blind optimism, I don't understand how people could think he'll go deep into a game without giving up a ton of runs.

You are partly right. It is part blind optimism on my part, and the other part is based on the potential that he has shown me (mainly spring training). If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But its better to go into the game with the blind optimism than sheer negativity. I guess we'll see.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
Do you remember the Munoz disaster of last year?

Yeah,I remember that.

But blind optimism adside,I think McCarthy could surprise people,today.I didn't think he he be that good against the Cubs.(Ok,bad example)

QUOTE(WSNS-TV44 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 04:50 PM)
Yeah,I remember that.

But blind optimism adside,I think McCarthy could surprise people,today.I didn't think he he be that good against the Cubs.(Ok,bad example)

I think he'll do better than his last game against Rangers. However, I don't think it's realistic to expect him to give up less than 3 runs over 6 innings vs Rangers. If our offense can't score at least 5 runs, I don't expect us to win.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 11:51 AM)
I think he'll do better than his last game against Rangers.  However, I don't think it's realistic to expect him to give up less than 3 runs over 6 innings vs Rangers.  If our offense can't score at least 5 runs, I don't expect us to win.

Oh,my god.I forgot about that side of the story.

QUOTE(WSNS-TV44 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 11:40 AM)
Yeah,that's about right.McCarthy will go 6 innings (7 if he's on fire like that no-name that pitched for Texas last night).

Uhm, if he's a no-name, he's always "on fire" when he plays the white sox.

Maybe its time to realize its not the pitchers, its our hitters.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)
Uhm, if he's a no-name, he's always "on fire" when he plays the white sox.

Maybe its time to realize its not the pitchers, its our hitters.

Sad to say,but you're right.It's been like that since as long as I can remember.

They look like a CY Young winner against the Sox,but looks like crap against Cleveland,New York,Minnesota,etc.

But it's time for McCarthy to do the same today,against the Rangers.

Edited by WSNS-TV44

Today is huge for us. We need to put a bad team like the Rangers away. Our game 2 lineup will be so pathetic I'm afraid to see it.

You can guarantee Timo, Willie, Widger, Carl in the OF, Blum, Ozuna.

Rowand and Konerko might be the only ones that play both games.

So since we will be sitting all these guys tonight, does that mean we get the same s***ty Sunday lineup tomorrow afternoon?

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
Today is huge for us. We need to put a bad team like the Rangers away. Our game 2 lineup will be so pathetic I'm afraid to see it.

You can guarantee Timo, Willie, Widger, Carl in the OF, Blum, Ozuna.

Rowand and Konerko might be the only ones that play both games.

So since we will be sitting all these guys tonight, does that mean we get the same s***ty Sunday lineup tomorrow afternoon?

I'm scared to see how many times we see the sunday lineup in the next week or so. At least once today, probably tomorrow, the upcoming sunday game and of course monday 's 1 day road trip.