Iguchi physically/mentally exhausted

JUGGERNAUT

I hope Ozzie understands we are now in that part of the season that is longer than anything Iguchi faced in Japan (including playoffs).

I hope he will rest Iguchi more often this month. It's not so much the physical exhaustion of playing such a long schedule as it is the mental side. No doubt Iguchi has been doing his homework studying up on pitchers & that's taken a toll on him as well.

I'm not making excuses for his recent errors but when it comes to the debate of whether Japanese vets should be considered Rookies they definitely are when it comes to the length of the season.

I've not seen an effective sub for Iguchi than Harris so I hope he's called up.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
I hope Ozzie understands we are now in that part of the season that is longer than anything Iguchi faced in Japan (including playoffs).

I hope he will rest Iguchi more often this month.  It's not so much the physical exhaustion of playing such a long schedule as it is the mental side.  No doubt Iguchi has been doing his homework studying up on pitchers & that's taken a toll on him as well.

I'm not making excuses for his recent errors but when it comes to the debate of whether Japanese vets should be considered Rookies they definitely are when it comes to the length of the season. 

I've not seen an effective sub for Iguchi than Harris so I hope he's called up.

umm actually he played much more games that this in some of his seasons in Japan. And he hasnt really played in that many games so far.

In Japan he played 140, 135, 124, 135 games. This year he has only played in 107 games. That means he has 33 more to match his career high of games played. It doesnt seem to me that he is overworked.

Regardless of games played in Japan in past years, Iguchi LOOKS tired. He's had the stress of playing in a completely foreign environment. The only thing similar is the distance and placement of the bases. Most of the Japanese games are played on turf.

New country. New cities. New opponents. New teammates. New customs. All that can wear a man down.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 05:26 PM)

Thanks!!

I don't buy being tired from playing somewhere new. Especially when he averaged 30 more games in previous years. I don't really know what "tired" looks like.. but he looks fine to me.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 08:19 AM)
Thanks!!

I don't buy being tired from playing somewhere new. Especially when he averaged 30 more games in previous years. I don't really know what "tired" looks like.. but he looks fine to me.

Agreed, I think it is a cop out. Saying that the body might have more wear and tear on grass, in america etc etc, I dont buy it, especially with the low number of games he has played compared to his career avg.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 08:19 AM)
Thanks!!

It's a thought that has crossed my mind as I watched him. I'm not saying it's fact. Call it a theory.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 10:11 AM)
It's a thought that has crossed my mind as I watched him.  I'm not saying it's fact.  Call it a theory.

I know. I just think that as professionals they condition themselves to play. Combined with him playing more over the past 4 years I just think it's a stretch. Plausable, but a stretch. Hopefully they all get their second wind.. soon.