Inevitable Mariotti article

fathom

So, let's see here, Jag Moronatti in ONE season has gone from: 'the Sox will finish 3rd in the division', to 'ok, they're playing well, but they'll run out of gas', to 'ok they're still playing well but can't keep up the pace', to 'ok they'll make the playoffs but will go 3 and out', to 'they're gonna choke'.

Nice job f***ball.

I don't mind Mariotti like most Sox board posters do, sometimes he has a point.

My only problem with reading that column the morning it came out was that, to my knowledge, there were no big players on the block for KW to pick up. Some names were tossed around, but none were the kind of "impact" players that he does rightly state we need to have.

Except for Griffey; and my understanding is that it wasn't KW who was screwing that up, the one of the intransigent Cincinatti owners. If that's the case, KW's hands were tied. If it wasn't, then like I said back then (on another board): Lord oh Lord, if we lose out, we're going to be spending until Spring 2006 asking "Why did we not pick up that guy?"

But as far as I know KW went after him, and I don't believe that after this season (at least back then) and being this/close, that JR somehow handcuffed KW on budget.

As far as pitching, the move we would have made would have been for Burnett--which seems disastrous now. That was to plug the Cuban hole in the lineup. But wouldn't you know it, Contreras is the ace right now and the Big Three have been crappy. Nobody foresaw that.

I do give Mariotti credit for some things, like pointing out during the first half that we're the best team in the league and this town is still obsessed with the loser Cubs--and talk about a bad front office in town! And he certainly seemed to be on the bandwagon as we were rolling along, and is not afraid to be the dark cloud as we start to sputter.

Although, this is the same guy that said famously, after the Bulls managed to survive the Pacers in that final season, that we would never beat Utah because we were too old, beat-up and tired. Oops! So I take it all with a grain of salt.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 02:59 PM)
Boy when you add the way the Sox have been playing to a bottle of lotion and some kleenex, this is the stuff that dreams are made of for Kotex-boy.

Ewww...you should be banned for that...the visual is hurting my retnas!

I have a friend who is a magazine writer here in the Twacities. He did a piece on a local sportswriter and, in a bit that didn't make the article, my friend asked the subject about the "sportswriter show" genre, PTI, ATH etc.

The sportswriter said that he couldn't take ATH seriously because Mariotti is "the laziest writer I know. He almost never attends games. He sits in his office or at home and writes about what he sees on TV."

QUOTE(whitesoxgt @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 03:32 PM)
HE WANTED TO TRADE MCCARTHY FOR GODS SAKE

HE didn't want to trade McCarthy. Other GMs wanted him to trade Brandon to THEM. Everyone was asking for him, and judging by the fact that KW didn't trade for anyone, I would take that as KW NOT wanted to trade BMAC.