Ticket Master and the ALCS

ChiSox9

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 09:03 AM)
I think the real reason I get pissed is all of the bandwagon jumpers who don't know Juan Uribe from Pablo Ozuna will be at the game while guys like myself, who can recite the Bristol pitching rotation in my sleep, will be stuck at home watching Joe Buck and Tim McCarver.... Get my drift.

What's in Bristol...?? :huh

Juuusssttttt kidding. :P

Boz.. come up here anyway. :cheers

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 09:03 AM)
I think the real reason I get pissed is all of the bandwagon jumpers who don't know Juan Uribe from Pablo Ozuna will be at the game while guys like myself, who can recite the Bristol pitching rotation in my sleep, will be stuck at home watching Joe Buck and Tim McCarver.... Get my drift.

I totally understand that. Too bad Soxtalk isn't in charge of ticket sales, we could come up with an awesome purity/Sox IQ test for ticket buyers. :P

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 10:05 AM)
What's in Bristol...??  :huh

Juuusssttttt kidding.  :P

Boz.. come up here anyway.  :cheers

I would if I knew I could get lowers for a reasonable price, say under $300 bones. That's a long drive with no guaranteed ticket.

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 10:41 PM)
BULLs***.... there wasnt any problems with the system my f***en ass... I love the work Reifert has done, but he is just there to be another mouth-piece for the organization.... this has become a f***en embarrasment, this whole ticket scandal

Its not a scandal you guys. Too many people wanted tickets. You had 3 computers on line, brokers had 200. This is just the way it is. Its a numbers game, and they have more numbers. Many of these brokers get their tickets from the same source, you can tell that by look at the seat locations. There is one major computer bank that is focused on doing just what they did today. This is the reality. They will not sell all of those tickets at those prices. Your best bet is to scalp, or buy season tickets next time.

QUOTE(JimH @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)
The main reasons why they don't put tix on sale at the box office:

- Crowd control

- Security, fights, theft

- People who'd complain they can't get to the box office

That's why doing it via phone/internet "supposedly" gives everyone an equal chance to get tix.

There would be long loud complaints no matter how they did it.  It is simply supply and demand.

It is true, supply and demand play a huge role in all of this... the Supply typically goes to the Brokers the demand is from the true Sox fans. I had mentioned in many posted that looking at 7 brokers sites there was a total of around 4500 tickets being sold. It was stated that less than 40,000 tickets for the ENTIRE series were sold yesterday in less then 48 minutes. Those 4500 tickets I found were only for Game 1. Which leads me to believe that Brokers control over 18,000 tickets of the total less than 40,000 sold. So over 1/2 of tickets sold are in their hands making a profit. Again looking at rough numbers, the park holds approx 40,000 people so 160,000 people during the 4 games at home... Which in turn proves that Brokers hold over 10% of the tickets for fans attempting to attend the game.

Like I had stated many times, I am curious as to who profits along with the ticket brokers????? Again, looking at Broker Sites average ticket cost of around $1,375 gives Brokers profit of over $23 Million Dollars. I think I am in the wrong business... but I would rather be doing what I am doing then neglect the city in which I live and fans in which I adore!

QUOTE(JimH @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 09:02 AM)
It is simply supply and demand.

No, it's supply, demand, and graft during the initial sale. Then it is supply and demand from a much richer crowd during the resale from brokers.

I would really love to know what percentage of the 10K or so tickets to each of the games us ordinary people going through ordinary channels actually have a chance of getting for face value through TicketMaster.

People can say what they like about Eddie Vedder and company musically. But he hit it on the head when he came out and said TicketMaster and the unfair advantage they give the brokers keeps the average fan of modest means from getting tickets to the events they care about, while assholes with money to burn perpetuate the problem by paying 5-10x face and lining the pockets of the scalpers.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 08:12 AM)
No, it's supply, demand, and graft during the initial sale.  Then it is supply and demand from a much richer crowd during the resale from brokers.

I would really love to know what percentage of the 10K or so tickets to each of the games us ordinary people going through ordinary channels actually have a chance of getting for face value through TicketMaster.

People can say what they like about Eddie Vedder and company musically.  But he hit it on the head when he came out and said TicketMaster and the unfair advantage they give the brokers keeps the average fan of modest means from getting tickets to the events they care about, while assholes with money to burn perpetuate the problem by paying 5-10x face and lining the pockets of the scalpers.

I am a big Pearl Jam fan and followed that suit closely. They were one of the largest acts on the planet, at the time, and couldn't even stir a scare into ticketbastard. It baffles me how they are not regulated as a monopoly. :bang

Just a suggestion for a way to solve this issue:

Make tickets to special events like this the same as airline tickets. That is to say, the ticket itself is associated with the individual purchaser. You need two things to get in: ticket and ID. This keeps brokers out of the business entirely.

If you wanted to allow for transfer of the tickets, make them go to the ballpark, wait in line at the ticket window, and pay a fee to transfer. That way you can still have someone transfer a ticket at the last minute if they want to, but you prevent any markup occurring outside of the small fee. This would make life tough for brokers, but reasonable for people who really intend to use the ticket or give to someone else at face value.

Not ideal, I admit. There are flaws. But food for thought.

:huh

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 02:39 PM)

Make tickets to special events like this the same as airline tickets.  That is to say, the ticket itself is associated with the individual purchaser.  You need two things to get in: ticket and ID.  This keeps brokers out of the business entirely.

If you wanted to allow for transfer of the tickets, make them go to the ballpark, wait in line at the ticket window, and pay a fee to transfer.  That way you can still have someone transfer a ticket at the last minute if they want to, but you prevent any markup occurring outside of the small fee.  This would make life tough for brokers, but reasonable for people who really intend to use the ticket or give to someone else at face value.

Not ideal, I admit.  There are flaws.  But food for thought.

Not a bad suggestion what so ever. I am still confident in the entire Will Call system but have tickets available only hours before the game. This may cause mass fans in lines to get their tickets but I think MLB can assist teams in extra Will Call booths and staffing.

I bring this up because I noticed on the other white sox message board that there is a guy that has like over 100 tickets in the same section. What is to stop anyone from printing and copying the same email ticket over and over and selling it to fans on different sites????? Just think, selling the same ticket more than once (all it is is a piece of paper). Once the initial ticket is scanned at the front gate all others i believe are null a void. Fair??

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 09:55 AM)
I bring this up because I noticed on the other white sox message board that there is a guy that has like over 100 tickets in the same section.  What is to stop anyone from printing and copying the same email ticket over and over and selling it to fans on different sites?????  Just think, selling the same ticket more than once (all it is is a piece of paper).  Once the initial ticket is scanned at the front gate all others i believe are null a void.  Fair??

I don't think many brokers are trying to sell their QuickTicket computer printer versions for exactly those reasons. They will pick up physical tickets from the ticket office or pay somebody to do it and will either espress mail physical tickets to buyers or drop tickets earmarked for them at will call if that is allowable.

QUOTE(quade36 @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 03:05 PM)
Wait, put this in perspective, close to 40,000 sold for 4 games????  Thats 10,000 a game.  You figure 10,000 for season ticket holders.  What happened to the other 20,000 per game??????

My understanding from inside sources is MLB keeps those tickets for corporate sponsors.

QUOTE(quade36 @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 10:05 AM)
Wait, put this in perspective, close to 40,000 sold for 4 games????  Thats 10,000 a game.  You figure 10,000 for season ticket holders.  What happened to the other 20,000 per game??????

MLB, Sox, networks, and corporate sponsors all get a chunk.

QUOTE(quade36 @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 10:05 AM)

Try closer to 20K for season ticket holders, maybe even a bit more. We were all able to buy extras per seat owned. With a ST base right around 15K I think it's safe to say at least half bought their extras. Approx 5 to 7K to MLB and 3K to the Sox (office folks and players - who by they way had to PAY for their tickets... )

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 08:39 AM)

Make tickets to special events like this the same as airline tickets.  That is to say, the ticket itself is associated with the individual purchaser.  You need two things to get in: ticket and ID.  This keeps brokers out of the business entirely.

If you wanted to allow for transfer of the tickets, make them go to the ballpark, wait in line at the ticket window, and pay a fee to transfer.  That way you can still have someone transfer a ticket at the last minute if they want to, but you prevent any markup occurring outside of the small fee.  This would make life tough for brokers, but reasonable for people who really intend to use the ticket or give to someone else at face value.

Not ideal, I admit.  There are flaws.  But food for thought.

Selling tickets far above face value is legal for licensed ticket brokers. While your suggestion makes great sense, there are 2 problems. One, the licensed brokers would make a legal challenge, and would probably win. The second problem is if they were checking ID with the tickets, it would take hours to get into the park. The fact is ticketmaster is in kahoots with the brokers and most likely get some sort of kick back from them. Its no coincidence brokers have hundreds of seats to games you can't get a ticket to even if you were one of the first into ticketmaster. They could easily make their system an even playing field, but they choose not to.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 03:09 PM)
Try closer to 20K for season ticket holders, maybe even a bit more. We were all able to buy extras per seat owned. With a ST base right around 15K I think it's safe to say at least half bought their extras.

Actually, split season ticket holders were not able to buy extra tickets. We were only allowed as many tickets as seats we owned all in the lower box but not as close as our regular tickets. I have split weekend tickets and I got:

2 tickets for each game of the ALDS

2 tickets for Game 2 of the ALCS

2 tickets for Game 2 of the WS

My original message to Brooks back about 3 weeks ago was why weren't split season ticket holders offered extra tickets.

Also, my parents neighbor has a smaller package where he has 2 tickets for 13 games (the ozzie package I believe). He was offered 4 tickets to Game 2 of the ALDS only and they were in Upper Deck.

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 10:19 AM)
Actually, split season ticket holders were not able to buy extra tickets.  We were only allowed as many tickets as seats we owned all in the lower box but not as close as our regular tickets.  I have split weekend tickets and I got:

2 tickets for each game of the ALDS

2 tickets for Game 2 of the ALCS

2 tickets for Game 2 of the WS

My original message to Brooks back about 3 weeks ago was why weren't split season ticket holders offered extra tickets.

Also, my parents neighbor has a smaller package where he has 2 tickets for 13 games (the ozzie package I believe).  He was offered 4 tickets to Game 2 of the ALDS only and they were in Upper Deck.

OK.. there are 8K full season ticket holders (just under actually, IIRC). We were offered our 4 seats plus 4 extras for every game. We bought them all. So if all 8K of us did that, that's 16K right there.

No, it's supply, demand, and graft during the initial sale.  Then it is supply and demand from a much richer crowd during the resale from brokers.

People can say what they like about Eddie Vedder and company musically.  But he hit it on the head when he came out and said TicketMaster and the unfair advantage they give the brokers keeps the average fan of modest means from getting tickets to the events they care about, while assholes with money to burn perpetuate the problem by paying 5-10x face and lining the pockets of the scalpers.

Curious ...

Do you have the numbers of people who:

- Are White Sox fans

- Were able to buy tickets yesterday

- And then turned around and sold them to a broker?

You're assuming all those tickets in broker inventory were bought first hand by brokers.

QUOTE(JimH @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 10:27 AM)
Curious ...

- Are White Sox fans

You're assuming all those tickets in broker inventory were bought first hand by brokers.

I know a lot, and a lot more ST holders that did it.

I know a lot, and a lot more ST holders that did it.

Exactly. Quick was telling me a story, before Monday's game some guy offered him $500 each for his two tickets in the Club Level. So yeah, absolutely, season tix holders are selling their tix to brokers. He didn't sell, but the story is very telling.

Edited by JimH

QUOTE(JimH @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 09:27 AM)
Curious ...

- Are White Sox fans

That's the other part of this. A lot of people are pissed they didn't get tickets, not because they can't go to a game, but because they are missing out on a payday.

QUOTE(JimH @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 03:27 PM)
Curious ...

- Are White Sox fans

Everything is assumed without MLB, Ticket Master, and Brokers opening their books and showing where the tickets went.

Based on Steff's Assumptions:

Apprx 40,000 tickets for game 1 ALCS

7,000 tickets to MLB for Sponsors and all that good stuff

3,000 tickets to CWS staff

16,000 for CWS full season ticket holders

Leaving approx 14,000 tickets left in circulation. With the 7 sites I saw with over 4,500 tickets on sale at brokers... that leaves 9,500 tickets left.

QUOTE(JimH @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
Exactly.  Quick was telling me a story, before Monday's game some guy offered him $500 each for his two tickets in the Club Level.  So yeah, absolutely, season tix holders are selling their tix to brokers.

Two Boston fans offered us $700 EACH for our seats for Sunday's game.. a game that might not even be played... :huh:

That's the other part of this. A lot of people are pissed they didn't get tickets, not because they can't go to a game, but because they are missing out on a payday.

Yes sir. I know two guys who were pissed for that very reason.

Forget the payday I would have just liked to see Game 1 of the ALCS. I have used brokers before and ended up paying $800.00 total for 2 Paul McCartney tickets about 3 years ago. The broker had told me there were 4 available so I talked to the people sitting next to me (the other 2 tickets) and they had said they had gotten theirs from a friend for face value (obviously the ticket broker).