This Could Happen?

Wong & Owens

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trade Jon Rauch and another prospect for Luis Castillo.  Florida wants him gone by 07/31.  Thoughts?

I'd hate to trade Jon Rauch with many potential holes in the '04 rotation. PLus 2B has been one of our most consistant positions so far this year. If anything we need to be looking for a long term SS.

I was thinking we'd either keep Valentin, or move Jimenez to SS.  Is there a better leadoff hitter in baseball right now than Luis?

I don't think Val has too many years left in him. Don't get me wrong Castillo is incredible, I just would be leary of dealing a guy who is on the verge of being in our rotation. 2B has been one of the least of our problems. I would rather see them go after Juan Pierre or IRod. Just definately not one of their starting pitchers.

Well, I am not a Jose fan. You can yap about his offense and he has good power numbers for a shortstop, but after his hot streak his avg is down to .250. I'd let Jimenez play short and stick Castillo at 2nd. Then I'd look for the Sox to move Jose to DH part of the time, but the Sox would have to move Lee, Thomas or Konerko for this to happen as well.

Speaking of Rauch, I think we'll see him up on the big club very soon. If Garland has another bad start, I think it will be Rauch time with either Garland going to AAA. Or Garland going to the pen and White getting shipped out.

For some reason I am just not a believer in Luis Castillo, he just seems like he should not do as well as he does, so in my eyes, giving up Rauch and a prospect is too much.

I would much rather piece together a deal with the Yankees to strengthen their bullpen and in return get Almonte and stick him at ss. And then I would try to move Valentin to Baltimore (we would have to eat a lot of his contract), and in return get a minor leaguer or two, or if Matthews Jr. continues to slump, maybe we would acquire him and stick him in Center.

I would love to see the Sox get Wily Mo Pena and put him in the starting lineup everyday next year. He has tremendous power and is only 20, he can't play in the minors though, because he is out of options with cinci. He struck out 1/3 at-bats in AA, but he has so much power that Cinci. refuses to run him through waivers. I say we get him let Frank go and then play Pena at first, Konerko at DH next season. Pena could be the next Sosa. Perhaps, Rauch and Ginter for Pena and a mid level infield prospect (The reds need pitching badly)

Cabrerra could be had relatively cheap, simply because he's due a lot of money next year if I recall. It would be a great pickup though. I'd love that type of infield.

The one thing I wish would happen in baseball is if players would renegotiate their contracts, kind of like in the NFL. I guess since they can't get simply cut there is no incentive for a player to renegotiate though.

The big question thing with me is, don't acquire Orlando if it means they can't resign Colon and Buehrle.

Robby Alomar could also be available if the Mets fall out of contention. Not saying I'd trade for him.

Its really tough to find good middle infielders, thats why I'm so happy with Jimenez.

Val can NOT play CF.  But he certainly should be able to play 1B.

I think Val could play center if the Sox said hey, your gonna stay here. He would have to adjust to getting the jumps, but other then that he'd have a strong arm and plenty of range.

He wouldn't be worse then Harris.

Since the Marlins have 2 good CFs in Pierre and Encarnacion, how about Rauch, Lee and a Tier I prospect for Encarnacion and Castillo? We get our much-needed CF, bring up Borchard and platoon him with Rios in LF, Val moves to first and a Jimenez experiment at SS.

Too much?

That seems like a pretty good deal for me. In regards to left remember we have Daubach. Also out of curiosity where is Konerko or Thomas?

I'm still of the belief to make this deal, the Sox would have to move one fo them as well.

I'd love the move though. You keep Maggs and either PK or Thomas and then add Castillo and Encarnacion (hit him in the 6 hole behind Daubach) with Jose in the 8 hole and Olivo in the 9 hole. Crede in the 7 slot or Jose could be there, doesn't matter to me.

I'd really enjoy that type of lineup.

Then for whoever you trade PK or Thomas for you do it for a pitching prospect or two to replace what we gave up.

If you want an OF, try Cincinnati:

Griffey

Kearns

Dunn

Pena

Guillen (Bench)

Taylor

Branyan (DL)

Cincy would be a perfect pcik to unload some pitching, because theirs is atrocious. If there was a way to get Dunn (would have to be Garland, Rauch, and a Tier I prospect), I'd do it in a heartbeat. An outfield of Dunn, Borchard, Ordonez, would produce a ton of K's, but a ton of homers.

I think Val could play center if the Sox said hey, your gonna stay here.

didn't we go that route once?

and didn't he whine and cry?

and didn't all the worshippers of St JosE6 complain that he was being abused?

and doesn't his contract situation means we lsoe him at the end of the year because he will get way too over priced for what he does unless he suddenly raises his average by 150 points and stop making errors?

didn't we go that route once?

and didn't he whine and cry?

and didn't all the worshippers of St JosE6 complain that he was being abused?

and doesn't his contract situation means we lsoe him at the end of the year because he will get way too over priced for what he does unless he suddenly raises his average by 150 points and stop making errors?

I am counting down the days till the Sox stop paying Jose 4.5 million a year. The guy is SO OVERATED. I still can't believe the league hasn't figured out that they could throw him a curveball every at bat and he would hit .120

Only reason he'd get any hits is that a few of the curves would be hung.

That seems like a pretty good deal for me.  In regards to left remember we have Daubach.  Also out of curiosity where is Konerko or Thomas?

I'm still of the belief to make this deal, the Sox would have to move one fo them as well. 

I'd love the move though.  You keep Maggs and either PK or Thomas and then add Castillo and Encarnacion (hit him in the 6 hole behind Daubach) with Jose in the 8 hole and Olivo in the 9 hole.  Crede in the 7 slot or Jose could be there, doesn't matter to me. 

I'd really enjoy that type of lineup. 

Then for whoever you trade PK or Thomas for you do it for a pitching prospect or two to replace what we gave up.

Exactly! If Pauly's nagging hip injury is going to last all year without him having surgery soon and going on the DL before it gets too late, then he and Val platoon at first, and he and Frank platoon at DH.

Then for whoever you trade PK

I am full of questions today - does he have any value?

Somehwere I lost track of exactly who said what yesterday but I got the impression someone said somehwere out loud that PK was having hip problems, and to publicly say that would seem to me to drive his value down.

I always like PK a lot but he is really not playing to the level he should.

Since the Marlins have 2 good CFs in Pierre and Encarnacion, how about Rauch, Lee and a Tier I prospect for Encarnacion and Castillo? We get our much-needed CF, bring up Borchard and platoon him with Rios in LF, Val moves to first and a Jimenez experiment at SS.

Too much?

I like it, I'd rather not have Jimenez play short tho.

CWSOX45

Exactly! If Pauly's nagging hip injury is going to last all year without him having surgery soon and going on the DL before it gets too late, then he and Val platoon at first, and he and Frank platoon at DH.

Paul might not be able to play anymore, forget season ending. Look at Albert Belle, hip problems are nothing to be taken lightly.

I am counting down the days till the Sox stop paying Jose 4.5 million a year.  The guy is SO OVERATED.  I still can't believe the league hasn't figured out that they could throw him a curveball every at bat and he would hit .120

Only reason he'd get any hits is that a few of the curves would be hung.

I am glad to know that someone feels about him the way I do.

We are both lucky baggio's computer is out of commsision because otherwise he'd be lecturing us! :lol:

Jose is not the ss of our future and I'd just as soon play the future than the past for all the little that Jose is giving us.

not really for that trade, partly because I like Jimenez at second, but he isn't a shortstop. his range and overall ability isn't there for short, then again, can't be much worse than Valentin.

we need to fix up the holes on this team, not a position we are set in (jimenez, miles, harris)