Woman Accused of Tossing Kids Into Bay

Steff

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051020/ap_on_...HBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-

:headshake

RON HARRIS, Associated Press Writer

31 minutes ago

SAN FRANCISCO - A woman who was hearing voices tossed her three young children off a pier into San Francisco Bay, authorities said. Rescuers had found one body, and the two other children were feared dead.

Lashaun Harris, 23, of Oakland, was booked on three counts of murder, the San Francisco Chronicle reported in Thursday's editions. Her children were identified as Trayshaun Harris, 6, Travante Greely, 3, and Joshua Harris, 1.

A child's body was found about four hours after a witness reported seeing a woman drop the children into the bay Wednesday near Pier 7, said Jonathan Guerra of the U.S. Coast Guard. The identity of the body was not immediately able to be confirmed.

The San Francisco Examiner reported Thursday that the body was that of the 3-year-old.

While rescuers searched for the children, an empty stroller was visible on the pier. A small inflatable Coast Guard boat hugged the water front as rescuers used hand-held flashlights to search under the pier. Larger Coast Guard and San Francisco police boats searched the water with high-powered flashlights.

Mayor Gavin Newsom came to the scene to get briefed by authorities, telling reporters, "I'm sick to my stomach," before leaving.

Lashaun Harris told authorities that voices had told her to throw her children into the water, the Chronicle reported. It was not immediately known whether she had an attorney. Police contacted Thursday by The Associated Press declined to confirm the report. The department's spokeswoman, Maria Oropeza, did not immediately returned a message.

She had been staying with her children at a Salvation Army shelter in Oakland, the Chronicle reported.

"I just talked to her yesterday," Mary Ann Ramirez, the shelter's social services manager, told the newspaper Wednesday. "We had our usual how are you doing, how's the kids. I would never have guessed in a million years that today she would do that."

The pier is in the Embarcadero area, which draws tourists to the historic Ferry Building within view of Coit Tower and the landmark Transamerica pyramid. It's about a mile from Fishermen's Wharf.

Random Thoughts:

Men kill their children to punish them for something they or the childrens' mothers did.

Women kill their children because Voices told them to do it.

The Voices tell men to go to a mosque, temple or marketplace and kill strangers.

The Voices usually come from god.

From a yahoo report:

Harris told investigators she had taken the anti-psychotic drug Haldol to control schizophrenia but stopped when she got her symptoms under control over the summer, according to a police report. But she said the voices returned Tuesday night and were still with her when she put her children into the water, according to the report.

Family member said Harris had made threats before. An aunt told the San Francisco Chronicle the threats had prompted the woman's mother to contact authorities, but others said they didn't think Harris would actually kill her children.

"She told my mama she was going to feed them to the sharks," said Britney Fitzpatrick, Harris' 16-year-old half sister. "No one thought it was that serious."

Demarcus Harris, Lashuan Harris' cousin, said the last time he saw her was Tuesday at his sister's house in Oakland and the boys were with her.

When his cousin left, she said goodbye and "I'm going to miss y'all." He said neither he nor his sister suspected what she would do the next day. "We all thought she was just going home," he said.

Harris was hospitalized in January at the John George Psychiatric Pavilion in San Leandro and her mother was briefly granted custody of the boys, according to her older sister, Telicia Harris, 26.

Alameda County social service workers concluded after the first hospital stay that Lashuan was fit to care for her sons, Telicia Harris said.

Um, if my sister said she was going to feed my nephew to the sharks, she wouldn't be going anywhere with my nephew especially if she had already been diagnosed with schizophrenia. That lady's family should be on trial as well, then again, if people who are as lazy/stupid as that were put on trial regularly, well, this world would be mighty empty.

:pray :pray :pray :pray for the little guys and for the mom (she will need it if she ever comes to understand what she did).