Jenks

LosMediasBlancas

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 06:25 PM)
I had it in undergrad, now taking it in grad school.  Fun times.  Not.  That's probably why "kapkomet" appears in about 10 threads in a row on the front page.  :lol:

I've had plenty of days like that this summer. How do you think I got to nearly 6000 posts when I just started when the season opened?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 08:46 AM)
It isn't one bad outing. He is 6/8 in save opportunities and 1-1 W-L record. .750 save percentage isn't exactly lights out. I think there are good reasons to be wary of a kid who was just called up from AA a few months ago, and is now closing in the World Series. Especially one with checkered history of not always having his head screwed on straight.  I'd be very surprised if this isn't the biggest discussion in Ozzie's office today and tomorrow,

Do you even remember which games he got the blown saves in?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 08:40 PM)
I remember he choked in Boston.

Well, choked may be too strong, but he got his ass rocked.

He gave up a 3-run homer after Gooch f***ed up a routine play. None of those 3 runs were earned, and he still finished the game.

His two blown saves came in back-to-back games against the Indians. He gave up an 0-2, 2out single to Bret Boone to knock in 2 guys that Damaso let on.

The next night featured a flyball that should have been caught by Rowand but ended up as a double.

Only one of those games that Bobby blew the Sox ended up losing, and that game was more Marte's fault.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 07:55 PM)
He gave up a 3-run homer after Gooch f***ed up a routine play.  None of those 3 runs were earned, and he still finished the game.

His two blown saves came in back-to-back games against the Indians.  He gave up an 0-2, 2out single to Bret Boone to knock in 2 guys that Damaso let on.

The next night featured a flyball that should have been caught by Rowand but ended up as a double. 

Only one of those games that Bobby blew the Sox ended up losing, and that game was more Marte's fault.

Very true, had that ball to Rowand been caught he would have probably been out of it but I don't remember how many outs there were when that happened.

I feel the same about the Marte game. Marte f***ing set Jenks up for failure, he allowed a damn single and a blown save was charged to him.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 07:13 PM)
Very true, had that ball to Rowand been caught he would have probably been out of it but I don't remember how many outs there were when that happened.

I don't remember how many outs there were either, but I do remember Rowand's drop led directly to the tying run scoring.

Big Bad Bobby will be fine, but I don't want to see him in game 3 at all. You keep messing with the bull and eventually you will get the horns. If Houston keeps seeing his fastball, someone will rock it, especially in that small park. I don't want to see what that would do his confidence.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 05:27 AM)
Did he even throw one hammer tonight?  He only threw one in Game 1 but it struck the guy out.  Is he too nervous to throw it for fear of hanging it?

I think he did throw a curve or two, but the thing that stuck in my mind was the fact he was down in velocity and also poor location. The two out two run single wasn't a bad pitch all in all, but that's what the dude was looking for. The Astro's put up a contact hitter and I think if Jens would have been firing it upstairs and not placing it low and outside to get flicked to left the story would have been different. Jenks is still learning and that's where Cooper and Pierzynski come in to the picture.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 07:19 PM)
Big Bad Bobby will be fine, but I don't want to see him in game 3 at all.    You keep messing with the bull and eventually you will get the horns.  If Houston keeps seeing his fastball, someone will rock it, especially in that small park.    I don't want to see what that would do his confidence.

I want to see him in game 3 if it's close. After an off day, definately. Just not in the 8th inning. Give it to Clifford to get to the 9th...he was basically the best right handed setup man in the league this year.

And I don't care how many times you see a 99 mile per hour fastball. That doesn't turn it into anything other than a 99 mile per hour fastball. Especially if he tosses in the occasional hook.

You know, it's kind of funny...like in September, people were here were writing that Bobby was throwing the hook too much, now they're saying he's not throwing it enough. There's just never a balance with this kid.

If theres a save situation I believe ozzie when he said he will be back in there. He just needs to throw that curve more. That curve vs the Angels where he struck out Vlad was completely untouchable. I think he went 2 innings that game and struck out like 4 or 5. Even if his curve isn't at it's best just by locating it as a strike and showing it to the batters he will unhittable.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 08:22 PM)
I want to see him in game 3 if it's close.  After an off day, definately.  Just not in the 8th inning.  Give it to Clifford to get to the 9th...he was basically the best right handed setup man in the league this year.

And I don't care how many times you see a 99 mile per hour fastball.  That doesn't turn it into anything other than a 99 mile per hour fastball.  Especially if he tosses in the occasional hook.

You know, it's kind of funny...like in September, people were here were writing that Bobby was throwing the hook too much, now they're saying he's not throwing it enough.  There's just never a balance with this kid.

As good as Cliffs numbers are I don't trust him like I do Cotts. Theres been many times where Cliffy has gotten his ass saved by our defense. Uribe, Rowand hell didn't Pods or Everett rob someone of a hr when he was pitching?? I am not sure about that one but he has got his ass saved a number of times.

Jenks is a talent and for some reason, he's so easy to like: 100 MPH fastball, has the haunted past storyline, looks like a gentle giant out there.

That said, we have the wonderful problem we had at the beginning of the year: we have 4 guys that can come into the game as closers (we traded Shingo for Jenks) and 5 if you count the Duke.

Gosh, I don't even think anybody remembers the great job Politte did last night!

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 07:24 PM)
If theres a save situation I believe ozzie when he said he will be back in there. He just needs to throw that curve more. That curve vs the Angels where he struck out Vlad was completely untouchable. I think he went 2 innings that game and struck out like 4 or 5. Even if his curve isn't at it's best just by locating it as a strike and showing it to the batters he will unhittable.

When I first read this, I thought "What the Hell is he talking about...Bobby pitching against the Angels?"

Man, seems like that must have happened a long time ago.

Anywho...I think one thing worth remembering right now is that we still have a major weapon in Clifford who has been totally unused. Bobby can get the 9th tomorrow. But if we need a weapon in the 8th...well, that's why we have both Neal and Cliffy.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 08:27 PM)
When I first read this, I thought "What the Hell is he talking about...Bobby pitching against the Angels?"

Man, seems like that must have happened a long time ago.

Anywho...I think one thing worth remembering right now is that we still have a major weapon in Clifford who has been totally unused.  Bobby can get the 9th tomorrow.  But if we need a weapon in the 8th...well, that's why we have both Neal and Cliffy.

Haha, sorry I should have noted that happened in the regular season.

Although two consecutive save situations shouldn't be too much for a closer, there are extenuating circumstances:

1) Jenks' youth and inexperience in these situations;

2) cold weather;

3) his inconsistency (see #1 above).

That said, I would prefer to see someone else get the nod tomorrow night. Yeah, what the hell has happened to Hermanson? I think we all know he's unavailable, but one would think that someone on the Sox staff would be asked about his condition/availability. Is his condition so bad that he can't withstand one inning of relief??? :huh

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 09:22 PM)
I want to see him in game 3 if it's close.  After an off day, definately.  Just not in the 8th inning.  Give it to Clifford to get to the 9th...he was basically the best right handed setup man in the league this year.

And I don't care how many times you see a 99 mile per hour fastball.  That doesn't turn it into anything other than a 99 mile per hour fastball.  Especially if he tosses in the occasional hook.

You know, it's kind of funny...like in September, people were here were writing that Bobby was throwing the hook too much, now they're saying he's not throwing it enough.  There's just never a balance with this kid.

I was never one of those people. I wanted him to throw more than just the fastball then and i still want him to now. If you consistently throw one pitch you will end up getting burned unless you are mariano rivera.

One thing jenks has to work on is getting right handers out at a better clip. They hit nearly .300 off him with nearly an .800 ops.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 09:24 PM)

If he does not have good command of his curve, I don't want it ever being thrown for strikes. That is a pitch that can get hit a long ass ways if you miss. The only, only time you ever throw it for a strike is when they are looking dead red fastball, no exceptions.

I love that pitch when he starts it at about the belt/chest/wherever and drops it into the dirt. That is a pitch that looks like the size of a beachball, but is about as hittable as a pebble.