AAP: Tom Collaro

easyw

Since he's not taken yey, I'll adopt Hogs axeman Tom Collaro. I've been following him for two seasons.

In 2004, with Great Falls, he posted some impressive numbers. I was told, however that offensive numbers in the league were inflated - that's just the nature of the Pioneer League. Here's what he did in 2004: in 66 games, 268 at bats, .

287 BA,

.560 slg,

77 hits,

48 runs,

150 total bases,

18 homers

67 RBIs, -

top 5 in homers, at bats, triples, RBIs, and total bases (and, ugh, strikeouts).

It was enough to get him a promotion to High A Winston-Salem. This year, here's what we got:

in 133 games, 531 at bats,

140 hits,

.299/.490/.264,

68 runs,

27 doubles,

29 homers,

100 RBIs.

He led the Carolina League in homers (tied with teammate Daigle), 2nd in RBIs (again, Daigle), and top 5 in total bases. On the negative side, he struck out 153 times, which also led the league.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allow me to assist.....

He was also second in the league in outfield assists, he had around a dozen, the leader 14 or 15. He also had the second most at bats in the league and was fourth in total bases.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah yeah yeah...

Collaro's impressive run earned him promotion to AA Birmingham this year. So far, thru 3 games, he is 3 of 14 with 2 homers, and eight strikeouts.

How you like him now?

And looking back, it looks like he did make his Spring training debut with the Sox on March 26 vs KC... and went 1 for 1...

Now that the season has really begun, I'll try to stay on top of this.

Thanks fer kickin my ass! :fight

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Easy, I'm not kicking your ass... Just assisting...

Enjoy the blog...

TC is picking up a little steam, he's always been a streaky hitter.

Let's get some dingers going now.

• 3 weeks later...

:huh Been painful at times, lots of swings and misses, confidence was lacking.

:bringit Popped a couple of homers in one game recently so let's think STREAK !!!!

:gosox1: / Barons

Edited by BB2ZZ

QUOTE(BB2ZZ @ May 29, 2006 -> 12:09 PM)
:huh Been painful at times, lots of swings and misses, confidence was lacking.

:bringit Popped a couple of homers in one game recently so let's think STREAK !!!!

:gosox1: / Barons

Thanks for hte update.

• 2 weeks later...

Thru 51 games with the AA Birmingham Barons, Collaro has 6 HRs , 27 RBIs. He has struck out a whopping 59 times against just 4 walks and is batting only .222. He's only made 2 errors and has 0 stolen bases.

• 3 weeks later...

Collaro had a game winning sac fly in the Rickwood Classic on June 22nd.

Thru June 25, in 63 games, 233 AB, he's hitting just .219 with 70 strikeouts, but has 6 homers and 28 RBIs.

:drink

Anyone else watch?

Comcast Local sports showed the Barons last Thursday playing the Bay Bears.

TC smacked two, a solo in the seventh and a MONSTER 2 run shot in the ninth that should have been the game winner.

Wass couldn't hold the lead :huh

• 2 weeks later...

Collaro has improved a little since my last update (game 51).

Thru 80 games, 297 at bats, he's hitting .229 with 9 homers, 43 RBIs and 113 TBs. On the down side, he's struck out 95 times.

I hope he likes Birmingham, cause it looks like he may be there for a while....

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In 2 games so far this spring, Collaro is 4 for 6 with 5 TB and 3 runs scored. No strikouts, one double.

I think these are mostly 'B' squad games, but at least he hasn't embarressed himself....yet.

QUOTE(easyw @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 06:40 AM)
In 2 games so far this spring, Collaro is 4 for 6 with 5 TB and 3 runs scored. No strikouts, one double.

I think these are mostly 'B' squad games, but at least he hasn't embarressed himself....yet.

So "B" squad games are against short bus guys? Embarassed himself .... yet ??

at 5 in the morning, I'm not checking my spelling.

I think collaro has played on the lower end of the split squad games. He strikes out a lot. So far that hasn't been the case this spring. Maybe he's turned the corner? Does anyone know if he's worked with Greg Walker much in the offseason?

He didn't handle the promotion to AA all that well last year. He may start the season back in Birmingham, but he might move up to Charlotte quickly.

Still, for more than 2 years now, I've been hearing from 'fans' that he is not a serious prospect in the Sox organization.