AAP: Tom Collaro

easyw

QUOTE(BB2ZZ @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 09:19 PM)
Wish more people on this site were as positive as you this year. I would prefer to recognize good play rather than poo poo somebody because they may not be a future big league All Star. JEAN !!! I mean Gene.....

Way to raise the level of discourse. First you use the highly original tactic of calling me a Cubs fan, then oh-so cleverly insinuate that I'm a female.

I'm sorry I can't get too excited about our slugging AA "MVP" who couldn't out-OPS Chris Getz in the Southern League. With an MVP like that, it's no wonder the Barons were, by far, the worst offense in the SL this season.

Which begs the question, how the heck was Collaro named MVP on a team that included one pitcher who ranked 2nd in the league in strikeouts, 2nd in wins, 2nd in K/BB ratio, 3rd in ERA, and 1st in FIP?.. and another who ranked 1st in strikeouts, 2nd in FIP, and 4th in ERA? ... and another who finished 5th in the ERA hunt? I'm all for recognizing good play. So let's recognize it! Jack Egbert had a great season, and he still has a lot to prove.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 22, 2007 -> 04:14 PM)
Way to raise the level of discourse. First you use the highly original tactic of calling me a Cubs fan, then oh-so cleverly insinuate that I'm a female.

I'm sorry I can't get too excited about our slugging AA "MVP" who couldn't out-OPS Chris Getz in the Southern League. With an MVP like that, it's no wonder the Barons were, by far, the worst offense in the SL this season.

Which begs the question, how the heck was Collaro named MVP on a team that included one pitcher who ranked 2nd in the league in strikeouts, 2nd in wins, 2nd in K/BB ratio, 3rd in ERA, and 1st in FIP?.. and another who ranked 1st in strikeouts, 2nd in FIP, and 4th in ERA? ... and another who finished 5th in the ERA hunt? I'm all for recognizing good play. So let's recognize it! Jack Egbert had a great season, and he still has a lot to prove.

You obviously are confused Gene, hence the cub and female reference.

This is ADOPT a prospect, not trash a prospect. You are strangely attracted to a portion of the site where you OBVIOUSLY are not a fan. You must have issues of some sort, just go to the Jack Egbert site and stay away. :sweep:

I've got NO PROBLEM with Egbert or Gio and went to the All Star game, I wish them both the best.

MVP must been a very difficult choice, whoever made it. Not my job or inclination to question the decision.

:bringit

QUOTE(BB2ZZ @ Sep 26, 2007 -> 07:20 PM)
You are strangely attracted to a portion of the site where you OBVIOUSLY are not a fan.

And you have shown that you have a strange attraction to Tom Collaro in many of your posts on this site. To the point where it has become obvious anyone who doesnt praise the ground he walks on is worthy of some sort of insult becuase how dare they talk about your precious tom collaro like that.

QUOTE(BB2ZZ @ Sep 26, 2007 -> 08:20 PM)
You obviously are confused Gene, hence the cub and female reference.

This is ADOPT a prospect, not trash a prospect. You are strangely attracted to a portion of the site where you OBVIOUSLY are not a fan. You must have issues of some sort, just go to the Jack Egbert site and stay away. :sweep:

I've got NO PROBLEM with Egbert or Gio and went to the All Star game, I wish them both the best.

MVP must been a very difficult choice, whoever made it. Not my job or inclination to question the decision.

:bringit

I like Collaro as a person as much as Gene does....which means I've never met him and have no idea what he is about personality wise....but really, he's not cheering against him. He's merely stating that, due to his peripherals - mainly K/BB, which is one of the most important stats among minor league hitters, along with BABIP - that he is completely unlikely to make a significant effect on the major league roster next year, even on the bench.

I sincerely doubt he's cheering against the Sox or Collaro. He's merely stating that Collaro, at this point, has absolutely no place on a major league roster and, without some improvement on contact or plate discipline, he should have no place near a major league roster.

• 5 weeks later...

I see again today on the Sox Machine blog Collaro characterized as an ill-legitimate prospect.

I would continue to disagree with that assessment. However I would agree that he needs to improve his plate discipline in order to make it to the major league level for anything beyond a cup of coffee in September.

He'll be invited to spring training in March. Let's see how he does there, and a full season at AAA in 2008, before he gets written off completely.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
QUOTE (easyw @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 05:48 PM)
So far he has not seen much playing time in Charlotte.

Is he injured?

I believe he is in AA. There was a reason, but cant remember off top of my head. I think it had something to do with their outfield efense being pretty bad, so they needed to get a better fielder up there.

• 1 month later...

In 6 games with the Knights, Collaro has 4 homers, 7 RBI, 2 walks in 21 at bats. His OPS is 1.253.

Sadly, he still has problems with discipline at the plate, and has also struck out 7 times.

I'm still unsure of what the future holds for him - I certainly don't see a spot for him on the Sox in 2009. And unless he cuts down on the strikeouts, he might not even earn a September call up.

He might be a good project for the Oakland hitting coaches.

Edited by easyw

• 2 weeks later...