T.O. to be released, suspension cut in half

Newsweek: T.O. to be released

What do you guys think?

I personally think it is ridiculous. This goes to show that any player that wants to be released or traded just has to do what T.O. did. It sets a bad standard for a lot of other disgruntled players that don't like their current contract situation.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 05:08 PM)
What would you suggest the Eagles do?

I suggest that the arbitrator agree with what the Eagles did in the first place. Send him home with pay.

If not, then let the Eagles do with him what they wish. Make him run special teams drills in practice. Make him be the "wedgebreaker" on special teams. Make him show up on time at 5AM for weight training. If he won't do any of these things then suspend him again for conduct detrimental to the team. Don't force the Eagles to play him or make him practice like he was before his attitude went all bad.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 11:20 AM)
Touche.  Heck, the Bears have caproom, although I can't see them doing it.  I think he would kill Orton or Grossman for the lack of agressiveness and of course the missed passes.

Ya I don't want TO f***ing with the chemistry this team has.

But I could see the Falcons making a play after Price didn't work out as their big target for Mike TO could be the guy.

I got to be honest, I got zero problem with TO the player. In fact, I'd sign him to a 1 year deal and take my chances.

I'd tell him if he played well and kept his mouth shut (don't talk to anyone) that we'd think about offering him a long term deal. But I don't hate TO.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
NOTHING has been decided yet by the arbitrator though.

right but noon wednesday was the supposed timetable so this makes sense. Will he clear waivers first so nobody absorbs his contract? I hope my Broncos don't sign him. I don't want to mess with a good thing

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 11:22 AM)
I got to be honest, I got zero problem with TO the player.  In fact, I'd sign him to a 1 year deal and take my chances. 

I'd tell him if he played well and kept his mouth shut (don't talk to anyone) that we'd think about offering him a long term deal.  But I don't hate TO.

^^^^^

I'm a closet TO fan. :ph34r:

Obviously the guy is a jackass but IMO he's the best WR in the league.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 05:19 PM)
NOTHING has been decided yet by the arbitrator though.

Did you read the article? That is what the article is about. It is getting inside information on the report.

According to a report in Newsday, arbitrator Richard Bloch is expected to reduce Owens’ four-game suspension from four games to one or two games later Wednesday.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 05:23 PM)
right but noon wednesday was the supposed timetable so this makes sense. Will he clear waivers first so nobody absorbs his contract? I hope my Broncos don't sign him. I don't want to mess with a good thing

I bet the Broncos will try to sign him next year if he is available. This year I can't see it.

I don't understand the Seahawks either. They are loaded at WR with Darrell Jackson coming back this week or next. Jurevicious, Engram, Darrell Jackson. That is very nice and I don't think T.O. fits.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 09:34 AM)
I bet the Broncos will try to sign him next year if he is available. This year I can't see it.

I don't understand the Seahawks either. They are loaded at WR with Darrell Jackson coming back this week or next. Jurevicious, Engram, Darrell Jackson. That is very nice and I don't think T.O. fits.

Umm...Seahawks weakness has long been WR. They always have drops. This year they have been better, but they don't have a receiver even close to TO. TO would make them a legit super bowl contender. Thats if TO shuts up and plays.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 05:40 PM)
Umm...Seahawks weakness has long been WR.  They always have drops.  This year they have been better, but they don't have a receiver even close to TO.  TO would make them a legit super bowl contender.  Thats if TO shuts up and plays.

You are correct. It was a weakness. This year has been different. They rid themselves of the bad apples who didn't give a crap. They have the 5th best passing offense in the NFC behind Philly, St. Louis, Arizona, and Green Bay. I really don't think they need T.O. I really don't think they need to take that chance/risk. They also have the 3rd best rushing offense and the best offense overall in the entire NFL. I don't think they are hurting on offense.

If this was a defensive player with some baggage then maybe you can see where the risk would be worth the reward. They really don't need another WR this year. They have a really good offense. What they need is defense.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 10:50 AM)
Either way one of the screwed up.

I didn't read the article just saw 'Newsweek: T.O. to be released'

Presumably, the original Newsweek piece that this post linked to has been replaced now that there is a firm report on the ruling of the arbitrator and their original article has been proven wrong.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
Its going to be really interesting to see who goes after him.  My guess is either the Bronco's or Seahawks and I'm leaning towards the Seahawks.

Both of those teams need more firepower to compete with Indy. Wouldnt surprise me at all.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 05:22 PM)
I got to be honest, I got zero problem with TO the player.  In fact, I'd sign him to a 1 year deal and take my chances. 

I'd tell him if he played well and kept his mouth shut (don't talk to anyone) that we'd think about offering him a long term deal.  But I don't hate TO.

Jason, Jason, Jason, what am I going to do with you? Will you never learn?

We have discussed "attitude" players many times and you haven't seen the light yet. I figured after this season for the Sox, the light bulb would have come on. Think about it. Do you really think a player like TO would have fit in on the White Sox this year? Do you think Ozzie would put up with all his crap. Simple answer, HELL NO.

Team chemistry, while not the only thing that matters, DOES matter. Guys like TO can bring a team down. Yes he is a great player on the field, but trouble follows him. There is a reason for that.

Run while you can Jason. Learn from the 2005 White Sox. Learn from the New England Patriots the past few years. Just learn it, my friend!!!