Cold, heartless thread on Aaron

Princess Dye

how replaceable is Aaron? once we're done being sad about this, the answer is very. a heartless thought this early, but i cant help it.

Aaron's hitting is definitely lighter than what you'd expect from the starting CF on a world series team. and he's definitely not one of those guys who hits for low average yet still seems to always get the big hit.

what makes him a starter is the glove, but honestly... you can get someone that good without too much trouble.

Meanwhile, Thome is one of those players, when healthy, you have a lot of trouble replacing. Thome at his best is going to do a ton more for this lineup than Aaron has. and even with its world series rings, i didnt want that lineup going into another year where it would depend so much on that pitching staff.

thanks to this, i think we have just found ourselves a lot more ways to win games.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 06:09 PM)
how replaceable is Aaron?  once we're done being sad about this, the answer is very.  a heartless thought this early, but i cant help it.

Aaron's hitting is definitely lighter than what you'd expect from the starting CF on a world series team.  and he's definitely not one of those guys who hits for low average yet still seems to always get the big hit.

what makes him a starter is the glove, but honestly... you can get someone that good without too much trouble.

Meanwhile, Thome is one of those players, when healthy, you have a lot of trouble replacing.  Thome at his best is going to do a ton more for this lineup than Aaron has.  and even with its world series rings, i didnt want that lineup going into another year where it would depend so much on that pitching staff. 

thanks to this, i think we have just found ourselves a lot more ways to win games.

What do you mean by this?

If there's two things that Aaron did well at the dish it was hit with RISP and hit for a decent average.

'05:

RISP - 4 HR, 53 RBI .290/.366/.443/.809

RISP w/ 2out - 1 HR, 27 RBI .354/.417/.508/.924

Career BAs:

'01 - .293

'02 - .258

'03 - .287

'04 - .310

'05 - .270

Career - .283

The problem was his very low OBP, inconsistency, excessive strikeouts and drop in power. Row was most definately expendable and I expected him to be traded but that statement just was not true.

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:14 PM)
What do you mean by this?

Last year, ARow hit .238 with no one on base, .313 with men on, and .290 with RISP. The numbers are fairly obvious on that one...he wasn't good at starting rallies by getting on base, but he got the big hit when a rally was set up for him fairly often.

If he shortens up his swing with 2 strikes he will raise his average and OBP by 20+ points.

Did anyone see this coming? Everyone heard the NYY rumors and the Marlins rumors, but this one came out of nowhere.

I wonder if this was expedited because of the Delgado deal?

Either way, this was a good move for both teams.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 06:38 PM)
If he shortens up his swing with 2 strikes he will raise his average and OBP by 20+ points.

Did anyone see this coming?  Everyone heard the NYY rumors and the Marlins rumors, but this one came out of nowhere. 

I wonder if this was expedited because of the Delgado deal?

Either way, this was a good move for both teams.

This had been reported for a while now, I don't see how you can say it came out of nowhere. I figured Rowand had the best chance of playing for the Marlins next year then the Phillies then the Yankees. This trade did not surprise me.

I know it was mentioned, but compared to the amount of media coverage the NYY and Marlins rumors were getting, there was not that much. Also, the other trades (Beckett, Delgado) had a few pre-trade rumors pop up, where this one just hit without any earlier warnings.

Edited by WinninUgly

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 06:51 PM)
I know it was mentioned, but compared to the amount of media coverage the NYY and Marlins rumors were getting, there was not that much.  Also, the other trades (Beckett, Delgado) had a few pre-trade rumors pop up, where this one just hit without any earlier warnings.

I heard this one the most, I heard NY liking him, but I never heard of any deal involving them

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 06:51 PM)
I know it was mentioned, but compared to the amount of media coverage the NYY and Marlins rumors were getting, there was not that much.  Also, the other trades (Beckett, Delgado) had a few pre-trade rumors pop up, where this one just hit without any earlier warnings.

Rowand to Philly in a deal for Thome was exactly what I thought was going to happen. So, yes, I can say I could see this one coming.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 09:31 PM)
Rowand to Philly in a deal for Thome was exactly what I thought was going to happen.  So, yes, I can say I could see this one coming.

They were linked with Torii Hunter earlier in the off-season, and since Lofton wasn't going to return, and they only had Jason Michaels and Endy Chavez in CF, it was a need for them. Luckily we were able to match for our needs and there's.

The rumor was reported in USATODAY on 11/16/2005. SoxTalk had a massive thread on it that was started a week ago.