About our Warthog pitching prospect

SpringfieldFan

Does anyone have any insight on Ryan Meaux, who we got in the Lofton trade? Do you think the Sox will have any serious plans for him. I wonder because he is only in A ball and is, I believe, already 25 years old.

The reason I have taken an interest in him is that so far he has a microscopic ERA (0.29) but more than that is the control he is showing. In 31 innings pitched so far, he has given up just ONE walk. Granted, 31 innings is not a large sample size, but if he continues to display this kind of control, do you think he will get a closer look? I hear a lot about Neal Cotts, and being and ISU alum, I am really pulling for him and am impressed by his ERA and K/IP. However, being a Sox fan lately has shown me the light on just how important it is to throw strikes and be able to control a count (i.e. Loiaza and pre-2003 Buehrle).

What do you all think?

Can't say too much about him other then he needs to move up a level. At 25 he's way too old for that level. He is a lefty though and he appears to have good control so I guess there is a chance, but I don't think he would be able to make it with this organization, it would have to be via a trade. There are just so many good left handed relief arms in this system.

Name one besides Marte and Ring and Cotts.  There is no excuse for not moving him up.

Definitely Munoz (He has been dominant since his first 4 outings)...... Bullard is not on the fast track, but won't be pushed aside just because someone else below him seems ready.

Wouldn't discount Sanders either. He is more than holding his own in an albeit limited role, in Chicago.

Definitely Munoz (He has been dominant since his first 4 outings)...... Bullard is not on the fast track, but won't be pushed aside just because someone else below him seems ready.

Wouldn't discount Sanders either.  He is more than holding his own in an albeit limited role, in Chicago.

I like Sanders future. If the Sox fall out of conention they will move Wunsch who should have excellent value. Lefty relievers tend to have great value down the stretch, especially ones with minimal salaries.

If the Sox fall out of contention they should be able to get some good players for Wunsch and Flash (If healthy) and if Loaiza keeps pitching it may give the Sox an interesting dillema of whether to accept the option and hope he's not a one year wonder of to deal him for a ransom of prospects (assuming he keeps it up and the Sox keep stinking).

Sanders throws strikes, has a good slider and mixes his fastball and change in with it. He'll have his ups and downs in his first year, but I like him in the pen. Him, Ring, Munoz and Marte are gonna all be good relievers for the Sox.

Well theres Ryan Wing, Bullard, Arnie Munoz and I know I'm missing a few others.

I agree we have other prospects that show a lot of promise in the organization and are on a faster track. The thing so far that separates Meaux, though, is his control. We have seen our share of hot prospects promoted to the majors, only to end up walking batters or continually falling behind on counts. I just think that the organization might do itself a favor by putting more of a premium on control, rather than just on hot arms or great curveballs, etc. I just worry the real value in such control pitchers might be getting overlooked as our management looks more at raw "potential". Does that make any sense?

Yes, it makes sense. Meaux must be a paradox. We trade for him, he does well at A ball, for which he is too old, we like him because of his great control (a rarity), we don't move him up, can't justify putting him on the 40 man roster, and he will be drafted by some other team next winter where he will be given a chance above A ball.

I'll even go one farther. If the Sox could get a quality lefthanded bat that they obviously need, I'd be willing to talk about Marte. He's one of the better lefty relievers in the AL to be sure, but that saves what, a run a week over a replacement caliber reliever? Does anyone think Ring wouldn't be within a run or two a week of Marte? And does anyone doubt that replacing Konerko's or the CF's bat with a quality lefthanded bat wouldn't be worth more than that same run or two a week?

The Yankees need relief pitching. Think they'd do Garland, Konerko, and Marte for Nick Johnson?

I'll even go one farther.  If the Sox could get a quality lefthanded bat that they obviously need, I'd be willing to talk about Marte.  He's one of the better lefty relievers in the AL to be sure, but that saves what, a run a week over a replacement caliber reliever?  Does anyone think Ring wouldn't be within a run or two a week of Marte?  And does anyone doubt that replacing Konerko's or the CF's bat with a quality lefthanded bat wouldn't be worth more than that same run or two a week?

The Yankees need relief pitching.  Think they'd do Garland, Konerko, and Marte for Nick Johnson?

IMO, Marte stays put!

IMO, Marte stays put!

I understand how most people will feel that way. But it is becoming painfully obvious that the Sox need another bat, and it needs to be lefthanded. To get the quality player they need, Garland and Konerko probably won't do it. I'd hate to give up Damaso, but like I said, I think the extra runs generated by a good hitter will make up for the runs costed by replacing Marte with Porzio or Ring or Cotts.