New Tejada News: O's reportedly make a proposal...

maggsmaggs

QUOTE(Adam G @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 04:20 PM)
Yeah, ERA is a good one.  How different is Contreras' 2.96 in the second half from Prior's 2.43 in 2003?  What's the average run differential between the AL and NL?

I believe if Prior's #'s were translated to AL, his ERA would be about .96 runs higher so he would be in the 3.39 range.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 02:17 PM)
Seriously, you need to learn to read, before you jumped in this argument with no knowledge, it was brought up by someone other than me that Count was better this year than prior in 2003.  That was the comparison, not the players now, but these two years in comparison.

No knowledge? Learn how to read? You sure are one seriously condescending SOB. :D You're the genius who is acting like it's ridiculous to compare to the two.

Maybe I should CAPITALIZE some RANDOM words in my sentences like you do so I LOOK more RIGHT.

QUOTE(Adam G @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 02:22 PM)
No knowledge?  Learn how to read?  You sure are one seriously condescending SOB.  :D  You're the genius who is acting like it's ridiculous to compare to the two.

Maybe I should CAPITALIZE some RANDOM words in my sentences like you do so I LOOK more RIGHT.

Note to self: When losing an argument go as far off topic as possible. Ok i got it.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 04:21 PM)
Lets look at the Pros and cons to this deal.

Pros:

1. Contreras is in the last year of his deal so he would likely leave after the 2006 season anyways.

2. Tejada is one of the best players in baseball. He hits for average and power every single year. His defense is above average.

3. Would solify our starting lineup for years to come.

Cons:

1. You lose the insurance of that 6th starter in case of injury.

2. You lose arguably the best defensive SS in the game, not to mention he is very cheap.

3.You lose even more outfield depth in Sweeney.

This deal scares me too much!

Your cons can be argued against IMO. I don't know about Uribe being the best defensive SS...that has some homer-juice to it, but you did say arguably so it doesn't matter. Sweeney wasn't OF ready for 2006 anyway. And another Pro is that it doesnt raise salary much at all, if any, for 2006.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 02:23 PM)
Note to self:  When losing an argument go as far off topic as possible.  Ok i got it.

Note to self: pat self on back to ensure intellectual superiority when the ad hominems come back at you.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 02:23 PM)
Your cons can be argued against IMO. I don't know about Uribe being the best defensive SS...that has some homer-juice to it, but you did say arguably so it doesn't matter. Sweeney wasn't OF ready for 2006 anyway. And another Pro is that it doesnt raise salary much at all, if any, for 2006.

Outfield depth in the future is a concern as Dye and PODS contracts are up about the time we are looking for minor league help IMO.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 04:25 PM)
Outfield depth in the future is a concern as Dye and PODS contracts are up about the time we are looking for minor league help IMO.

True, but in the more immediate future, we still have Owens and Nanita.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 02:26 PM)
True, but in the more immediate future, we still have Owens and Nanita.

Considering all the aspects of both players, I would think that Sweeney may have the most offensive potential that we will need in the future, especially if he ever develops his power.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 02:28 PM)
I believe they are arguing who has more value to the O's.

I was saying that Prior has more value, when someone said that Contreras's year was better than Prior's best year (2003). Which is not the case anyway. Even so, I would rather have prior who is not a one year rental and is younger.

QUOTE(Adam G @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)
Please, everyone knows that internet debate is about how many laughs your witty posts get.  you = teh lose

This is one of the funnier argument-resolutions I've seen lately. IMO, you're both wrong. :huh :lol:

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 04:00 PM)
Seriously, you need to research your claims before you type them.

Why should I? If everyone did their research as well as you, we could have an "Ask RockRaines" website instead of Soxtalk. Contreras at Prior's age was dominating Cuba so you can put the "potential" BS back into your crack pipe. I'm not talking age and potential (I conceded that in my reply as I know Baltimore wants to win later not now). Contreras was dominant during the second half and post season and you can put up whatever stats you want to state who was better. I observed Contreras second half last year as I did Prior's '03 season and to me, Contreras was the better pitcher. I again point you to my "arguably" claim because I understand and want to convey that it is "my" opinion and NOT fact. You, on the other hand, can find another source to vent your pent up frustrations upon.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 02:30 PM)
This is one of the funnier argument-resolutions I've seen lately. IMO, you're both wrong.  :huh  :lol:

It's also amusing to see people begging and pleading to not turn a thread into pages of useless debate and argument. That's the whole freakin point of message boards. :headbang

QUOTE(heirdog @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 02:32 PM)
Why should I?  If everyone did their research as well as you, we could have an "Ask RockRaines" website instead of Soxtalk.  Contreras at Prior's age was dominating Cuba so you can put the "potential" BS back into your crack pipe.  I'm not talking age and potential (I conceded that in my reply as I know Baltimore wants to win later not now).  Contreras was dominant during the second half and post season and you can put up whatever stats you want to state who was better.  I observed Contreras second half last year as I did Prior's '03 season and to me, Contreras was the better pitcher.  I again point you to my "arguably" claim because I understand and want to convey that it is "my" opinion and NOT fact.  You, on the other hand, can find another source to vent your pent up frustrations upon.

I figured that the stats would show you that Prior was more dominant, during the whole season and the 2nd half. If we are throwing out stats and just cpmparing our "feelings" on players, then I have no answer for you. But that website does sound like a pretty good idea.