New Tejada News: O's reportedly make a proposal...

maggsmaggs

QUOTE(quickman @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
Look one day this lightening bolt we are on will come to an end. Then we can rebuild. Until then, we get better with proven players (superstars) build the fan base and win divisions. Prospects usually don't pan out. That simple.

True, but we dont have an endless budget, and if this team fails and we are still playing well going into locking up our pitching to make another run, and we get to Mark's contract and Tejada's is handcuffing us, does it make sense then?

Its great to amp the payroll and bring in superstars that look like they are the difference makers, but how often does THAT pan out. We DID win a title with a low payroll and some hungry players.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(heirdog @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 03:43 PM)
So no Bedard included, huh?  I really hope he gets added because I think he has elite lefty potential a la Santana.

EH, what makes you think that? He hasnt really had GREAT success, and at age 26 has already had surgery.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 03:14 PM)
Remember, Contreras is of low value to the Sox because McCarthy is waiting in the wings AND he is a short-termer contract wise. 

Something about Contreras still smells like Esteban Loaiza to me. I think his trade value has definitely peaked.

Can you imagine Tejada playing for Ozzie? Can you imagine Tejada hitting at the Cell? Can you imagine Uribe underperforming again next year? Can you imagine Contreras going back to his old self next year then becoming a FA? Can you imagine one of, if not THE top rotation in baseball coupled with a monstrous lineup including the likes of Tejada, Konerko, Thome, Dye, Pierzynski, Iguchi, and Podsednik? Can you imagine back to back championships? DO IT. I'm going to have to clean up a mess in my pants if we get Tejada.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)
True, but we dont have an endless budget, and if this team fails and we are still playing well going into locking up our pitching to make another run, and we get to Mark's contract and Tejada's is handcuffing us, does it make sense then?

Its great to amp the payroll and bring in superstars that look like they are the difference makers, but how often does THAT pan out.  We DID win a title with a low payroll and some hungry players.

Your chances of winning are with better players. We won last year despite our team. Sorry that is the truth. Everything went right, just like our playoff team in 2000. By the way its the first time in like 90 years that we won. Don't think it can be repeated without better players. As far as budget, I will let the org figure that out, I need not worry about team budget, we are not the GM's or the owners. I will say, if we get tejada I do think it will increase season ticket holders and our chances to win the division this year, don't you think?

QUOTE(Adam G @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
Something about Contreras still smells like Esteban Loaiza to me.  I think his trade value has definitely peaked.

They both are sponsored by Old Spice, so that may be why.

I think that Count, Uribe, Sweeney, and a pitching prospect for Tejada alone would be a huge win for the O's, and a loss for the Sox. The O's could let Count walk after 2006 and would have a lot of salary flexibility and still have Uribe for cheap, Sweeney, and a pitching prospect. The Sox would only have Tejada, but that is still huge just not enough.

If the O's gave up a couple of million or a reliever, it would make it very interesting.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 05:53 PM)
EH, what makes you think that?  He hasnt really had GREAT success, and at age 26 has already had surgery.

He had Tommy John surgery back in 2003 and had a decent 2004 with the big league club, still starting 26 games as a rookie. He has a nice K/IP ratio of about 1 and at 26, is still young (2 weeks older than Buehrle). His stuff is pretty solid and while he is a week older than Santana, he has not pitched as much as him yet so I think he is just tapping into his potential now. Bedard looked lights out in the beginning of last year (5-1, 2.08 ERA) before he hurt his knee. Now he will have a full off-season to come back from the knee injury and regain his form.

If we could get him as a "throw-in" now because of his injuries and "under-achievement," it would be another coup for KW. If he hadn't hurt his knee last year, he might have reached 18-20 wins and CY Young consideration. I would take my chances with him recovering from the knee injury as opposed to Tracey or Liotta panning out.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
Your chances of winning are with better players. We won last year despite our team. Sorry that is the truth. Everything went right, just like our playoff team in 2000. By the way its the first time in like 90 years that we won. Don't think it can be repeated without better players. As far as budget, I will let the org figure that out, I need not worry about team budget, we are not the GM's or the owners. I will say, if we get tejada I do think it will increase season ticket holders and our chances to win the division this year, don't you think?

I agree! Tejada comes cheap!Season tixs,and jerseys will go through the roof.

Edited by That funky motion

In reference to mlbtraderumors.com, I thought that this was funny:

The White Sox have their own motivation to wrap things up before the weekend: they'd like to have an announcement that does not conflict with a Bears playoff weekend or the Cubs Convention.

Why would the Sox care about the Cubs convention? A Tejada trade announcement would be huge, and he could do the coin toss at the Bears game with Thome, Mack, and Vazquez.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 05:10 PM)
Your chances of winning are with better players. We won last year despite our team. Sorry that is the truth. Everything went right, just like our playoff team in 2000. By the way its the first time in like 90 years that we won. Don't think it can be repeated without better players.

I'm tired of hearing this ridiculous claim. All the stat heads need to understand that all the stats in the world don't tell nearly the whole picture. Baseball has so many dynamics, there just are too many factors involved to completely analyze it with numbers. No team stays in first place an entire 162-game season and sweeps through the playoffs 11-1 "despite itself". Too many games, too many bounces will go both ways to point at luck. I'm sorry, it just makes no sense statistically or otherwise. The logical explanation is this team is better than the commonly-used stats say it was. And the results were obvious: W's.

OK, that all said, yes, i do believe the 2006 team would be better with Tejada. I think that Uribe and Contreras s/b enough, though. Giving up another picthing prospect and Sweeney as well is a bit much, I think. But if the deal is for Contreras and Uribe, hell yes. Add in Sweeney, maybe. Add in Broadway or someone like that, I say no (unless we get back a great prospect in return, or Bedard). I want a better 2006 (which we ALREADY have), but i don't want to bankrupt 2007 thru 2010.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 02:27 PM)
That's the thing.  Even though a lot of people seem to be against acquiring Tejada, I'm sure these are the same people who will be praising him when he's putting up 300-35-110 next season.

What if he puts up his career average .280-28-90 with a .338OBP? Those are good numbers but not worth a top starting pitcher, a much better defensive SS with a BA around .260 with only 10 less home runs, and two top prospects.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 03:15 PM)
How do you know it is legitimate? Do you run the site? His rumors are never ground breaking and usually make little sense. When he has a rumor that is not menioned any where on the internet before him... and it goes through. Then maybe he will be given some acknowledgement. We have threads daily with this site now for about the last three weeks... why is that? He has been around alot longer than that.

100000% agree with this.

As for his "Rock-solid" White Sox sources, take a look at his archive. He had zero inside info pertaining to them on the Thome and Vazquez deals. All he did was report that they happened. And even then he was slower in reporting them then, say, ME.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 05:21 PM)
In reference to mlbtraderumors.com, I thought that this was funny:

Why would the Sox care about the Cubs convention?  A Tejada trade announcement would be huge, and he could do the coin toss at the Bears game with Thome, Mack, and Vazquez.

No kidding, I imagine that the Sox would like nothing better than to make that announcement during the Cubs convention.

My take on this trade is this: I've sat through a lot of bad games watching prospects suck even though they were highly touted. I would rather sit through another season of watching a championship team, or at least the possibility of one. Konerko and Tejada are guys the Sox can build an offense around for a few years without sacrificing defense. I can't imagine Sweeney or Uribe will be like that.

I doubt this trade has any weight, but if it does, I wouldn't mind seeing it happen. Rebuilding years will be easier to sit through if I know the team did everything it could to contend when it had the chance.

If BAL gives up someone like Chris Ray and some cash, I say go for it.

Contreras had one great half to include post season. He can easily revert back to his old inconsistent self. However, you know exactly what you are going to get out of Tejada, and I assume he would be even better on a championship team batting around Thome, Konerko, and Dye. Adding Tejada to the mix would make this lineup even more lethal.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 04:17 PM)
They both are sponsored by Old Spice, so that may be why.

:puke

I think that Count, Uribe, Sweeney, and a pitching prospect for Tejada alone would be a huge win for the O's, and a loss for the Sox.  The O's could let Count walk after 2006 and would have a lot of salary flexibility and still have Uribe for cheap, Sweeney, and a pitching prospect.  The Sox would only have Tejada, but that is still huge just not enough. 

We'd have a huge upgrade at shortstop and we'd be moving a rent a player, because we're not going to give him a multiyear deal at $11-12 million per. I'd say that it's probably even money whether McCarthy has better numbers than Contreras next year, if given a regular spot in the rotation.

And lets not forget that the prospects we trade tend not to pan out. All you really get when you trade for a prospect is a lottery ticket.

If the O's gave up a couple of million or a reliever, it would make it very interesting.

That would definitely help.

QUOTE(heirdog @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 04:17 PM)
He had Tommy John surgery back in 2003 and had a decent 2004 with the big league club, still starting 26 games as a rookie.  He has a nice K/IP ratio of about 1 and at 26, is still young (2 weeks older than Buehrle).  His stuff is pretty solid and while he is a week older than Santana, he has not pitched as much as him yet so I think he is just tapping into his potential now.  Bedard looked lights out in the beginning of last year (5-1, 2.08 ERA) before he hurt his knee.  Now he will have a full off-season to come back from the knee injury and regain his form. 

If we could get him as a "throw-in" now because of his injuries and "under-achievement," it would be another coup for KW.  If he hadn't hurt his knee last year, he might have reached 18-20 wins and CY Young consideration.  I would take my chances with him recovering from the knee injury as opposed to Tracey or Liotta panning out.

I agree that he may turn into a good pitcher, putting him in the same sentence with those guys is a little presumtuous. Mark, Garland, Freddy, all had more successful careers than Bedard by the time Bedard made his debut. In 2004 at age 25 Bedard was pedestrian at 6-10 4.59. I think by this point in his career claiming Cy Young awards in his future is stretching it a little. Imay be wrong, and he may develop with age, but at this point I would put him in the maybe category while we have 3 other pitchers who have already been there and done that before him. (keep in mind they are all pretty much the same age).

Regardless, getting him as a throw in would be a nice move by KW.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)
If BAL gives up someone like Chris Ray and some cash, I say go for it.

Contreras had one great half to include post season.  He can easily revert back to his old inconsistent self.  However, you know exactly what you are going to get out of Tejada, and I assume he would be even better on a championship team batting around Thome, Konerko, and Dye.  Adding Tejada to the mix would make this lineup even more lethal.

Oh man, he would have some nice protection in that order thats for sure, and some GREAT table setters.

QUOTE(palehose23 @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 05:34 PM)
vs. White Sox Pitching

Good point.

It is hard to imagine a team matching what the Sox can offer, so based off how easy KW is to predict, there is a good chance this will happen in some shape or form.

BAL is not going to win next year, so keeping a disgruntled Tejada is not going to make things any better. There best bet is for 2007. So what better way to prepare for 2007 by adding a player that they do not need to re-sign in 2007 (Count) unless they want to, they drop a huge contract in Tejada and replace it with Uribe's, and they add a few prospects who could be ready to contribute by 2007 or 2008.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 04:36 PM)
I agree that he may turn into a good pitcher, putting him in the same sentence with those guys is a little presumtuous.  Mark, Garland, Freddy, all had more successful careers than Bedard by the time Bedard made his debut.  In 2004 at age 25 Bedard was pedestrian at 6-10 4.59.  I think by this point in his career claiming Cy Young awards in his future is stretching it a little.  Imay be wrong, and he may develop with age, but at this point I would put him in the maybe category while we have 3 other pitchers who have already been there and done that before him. (keep in mind they are all pretty much the same age).

Regardless, getting him as a throw in would be a nice move by KW.

The Orioles aren't going to trade Bedard. mlbrumors "rock-solid" source for this was Soxtalk and more specifically the Can Tejada be a reality thread page 4 post #54 posted Dec 30 by Andytclown1 in this section of the site.

I'll continue to insist on this site no trade scenario makes sense with ANY team, for ANY circumstance, unless a quality bullpen arm (or quality pitching prospect) is included.

I realize Tejada's talent--but if the deal proposed within this site were to occur, we'd still have two holes left to occupy in the bullpen. Is the upgrade of Tejada over Uribe worth worrying about two bullpen positions? Funny, for all the praise given to Marte and Vizcaino's departure, no one appears worried. I just won't settle with Baj/Tracy battling with some journeyman for the final two bullpen positions.

Really, I have no problem dealing Count/Uribe/Sweeney/Additional for Tejada if another quality bullpen arm is packaged. After Contrereas is traded, our bargaining chips are practically gone. Tavares/Qualls/Prospect still sounds more appeasing to me.

It comes down to this: if given the choice, which sounds more appeasing:

1. Uribe/Qualls/Baj

2. Tejada/Baj/Journeyman.