Prior sticks it to the Cubs

kdhargo

The Cubs' Messiah exercises a voiding option for his contract, so instead of a $2.75M base salary, Prior will now be eligible for arbitration.

Now we know the reason the Cubs didn't turn the other cheek when Baltimore asked for Prior. It appears as if the days of the Messiah on the northside are quickly coming to an end.

EDIT

Apologies if this was mentioned deep inside a 50+ page thread and I missed it. The ESPN article makes mention that Prior's agent told the Cubs of this decision in late November, but it appeared that the media has just now gotten ahold of the information.

Edited by kdhargo

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 09:18 AM)
I don't see why you say his days with the Cubs are nearing an end. He can't be a free agent for a couple more years, the Cubs rarely lose their own players to free agency....As long as Prior stays healthier than Kerry Woods, I think the Cubs will be very reluctant to let him go.

I just personally see it as the beginning of the souring of the relationship between the Cubbie religion and their Messiah. Injuries, time and money withstanding, I just wonder outloud where Prior will be in 2+ years.

Any other off-season prior (no pun intended) this one you would not even hear Prior's named whispered in any kind of rumor whatsoever.

Edited by kdhargo

QUOTE(kdhargo @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 07:29 AM)
Indeed. $2.75M vs ? in arbitration.

? = a HELL of a lot more than 2.75M.

I don't blame the guy at all for doing it. It's a smart business move, and perfectly acceptable in the terms of his deal.

I don't think there are any ulterior motives to this at all.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 09:34 AM)
? = a HELL of a lot more than 2.75M.

I don't blame the guy at all for doing it. It's a smart business move, and perfectly acceptable in the terms of his deal.

I don't think there are any ulterior motives to this at all.

Nor due I -- it is strictly about the money -- and I don't blame him at all either. I was saying that in combination of these business move of his plus hearing him mentioned in the Tejada sweepstakes (and taking into account injuries sustained in his career his far, freakish or not), I begin to feel that the Cubs do not hold him as highly as they once used. Now, two solid years w/o major injuries and arbitration talks later, I feel differently.

I started the thread to make note that Prior made a screwd business move and in the process, the Cubs will now have to reinventory their salary and adjust for extra $$ for Prior. I have no idea or bearing of this move, his career thus far and what not, with the new intent of including Prior in trade talks. It was just unheard of, even scoffed at, to think Prior was attainable at all 12+ months ago.

Edited by kdhargo

This seems to be a normal move. Prior never had the opportunity to do this based off certain requirements in his first contract. In 2005 he met the requirements to void the next year of his contract (2006). That is why they write those things into contracts. Otherwise what is the point of putting voidable years into contracts. Normally the team asks for some performance requirement like innings pitched, etc, and if the player meets that team requirement, he can void a portion of his contract. He would have done it last year but he came up short on the requirement.

I don't see this as too big of a deal. The only thing I would question is the timing of the announcement.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 08:27 AM)
The only reason Prior voided that year is to become arbitration-eligible.

He stands to make a LOT more money that way.

That's why he did it.

He would have done it last year (and rightfully so) but he was just short of the time in the majors needed to do so.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 09:10 AM)
He would have done it last year (and rightfully so) but he was just short of the time in the majors needed to do so.

Yeah, I saw that too.

He should go to arb - with the ridiculous salaries being paid out, 2.75 is far below his market value.

Injury history or not - and I think the jury's out on that, given the fluky nature of the stuff he's suffered - he's a hell of a pitcher.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 08:07 AM)
imo, prior will walk when his contract with the cubs is up.

no information there. just my opinion.

Why shouldn’t he? He is young and has some very good years ahead of him if he can stay away from the DL bug. If he chooses to sign with an organization that is serious about winning, then he’ll have a couple of rings in his fingers. I mean, look at Garland. He has a WS ring already!

An escape route out of Wrigley is the stairway to success for Mark Prior.