Teen critical after Edens crash

Phuck the Cubs

The worst part of this is that she wasn't drunk or wasn't high or anything like that. Most of these teen car accidents are caused from drunk driving. This was not her fault and there really wasn't a damn thing she could do about it. I knew her a little bit and I was in a class with her sister. Both were very nice and it is a damn shame this had to happen.

and he left the scene of the accident.  That f***er.  At the very least after making an illegal turn he could have checked to see if they were ok.  This who thing really makes me want to throw up.  You should also add that she was wearing her seat belt which a lot of people don't wear.

It's kind of implied that he left the scene when I said he'll get off scott-free unless he's found. She was in my english class, and a social worker came in and started talking for a while about this whole thing. It was really wierd at school today.

Update from Tribune:

Red car sought in crash that killed teen

State police were looking for leads Wednesday to help them find a red car that witnesses said triggered a collision that killed a New Trier High School softball player driving home from a post-game supper.

At 9:45 p.m. Monday, Arianne Chester of Winnetka was headed north on the Edens Expressway with a teammate when a red car darted in front of her near Golf Road, police and family members said.

Her reaction was immediate and deadly. She swerved her 2003 Jeep Liberty and clipped the rear of a semitrailer truck, her family said. The impact sent the Jeep reeling to the left. It hit a median and flipped, severely injuring the 18-year-old, whom friends called Ari.

She died a day later.

Illinois State Police said neither the red vehicle nor the truck stopped after the accident.

Because the red car didn't touch Chester's Jeep, no paint sample was left, which would have aided in tracking it down, Sgt. Al Gentile said. Witnesses did not see the license plates of the red car or the truck, he said.

The accident report gives no indication of how fast the cars were traveling, and preliminary evidence indicates that no drugs or alcohol were involved, Gentile said.

Chester was wearing a seat belt, he said.

A day after family members made the difficult decision to remove her from life support, friends, loved ones and her high school struggled to understand how the young woman who seemed to always do the right thing could be torn away so tragically.

Friends said Chester hadn't been drinking before driving home, said her twin sister, Caitlin. The friends said she wasn't racing friends in a car just ahead of her. She wasn't flipping through her CD collection or digging for her cell phone or doing any of the other things that might distract a teenager after a 15-0 win in the first game of the softball season.

Chester's passenger said the two girls weren't even talking when the accident occurred, Caitlin said.

"She was doing what she was supposed to be doing while driving," Caitlin said about her sister Wednesday afternoon. "She was paying attention."

Family members said Chester suffered a severed spinal cord and head trauma. Her passenger had only minor injuries.

Her older brother, Chris McCormick, 21, a senior at Miami University, said he learned late Monday that his sister had been hurt in an auto accident. Even though the drive from Oxford, Ohio, is one he has made dozens of times, he took a flight the next morning at his mother's urging.

"[Ari] could not have been more involved with her friends, her family and school," McCormick said of his sister, a co-captain and center fielder of New Trier's softball team and had been accepted by Vanderbilt University. "She was the most selfless and caring person. ... She always put friends first. She put us first."

Family members have scheduled visitation from 3 to 9 p.m. Thursday in Donnellan Funeral Home, 10045 Skokie Blvd., Skokie. Services will be held at 10 a.m. Friday in Winnetka Congregational Church, 725 Pine St., Winnetka.

New Trier canceled a home softball game Wednesday afternoon.

At the school's campus in Winnetka, a makeshift memorial—including a large banner with Chester's name, photographs and a book for students to write their thoughts—was set up in the cafeteria, said John Cadwell, head of the English department and coach of the softball team.

Cadwell, who had known Chester since her freshman year, said the atmosphere in the ordinarily bustling halls was somber and the school had a moment of silence for her in the morning. He said grief counselors were on campus to talk with students.

At a meeting Wednesday morning, the softball team resolved to dedicate the season to the memory of their teammate.

Part of the healing for the players, he said, would be to remember the example she set for those around her—the gusto and effort with which she played the game, the way she would pick up a struggling player and the camaraderie and love she felt for the team.

"She was the kind of player you loved to be associated with and the kind of individual you'd love to be associated with," Cadwell said. "She really was the best within all of us."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-06...chool-headlines

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 10:51 PM)
It's kind of implied that he left the scene when I said he'll get off scott-free unless he's found. She was in my english class, and a social worker came in and started talking for a while about this whole thing. It was really wierd at school today.

Who is your english teacher?

State Police are never going to track down that car unless the owner has a guilty conscience-- or possible occupants confess to police.

Advising citizens to look for a red car with no apparent signs of collision is unluckly to end successfully. Hell, even if you could miraculously locate the correct car AND note the drivers alibi places them within general vicinity of the accident, there's nothing beyond that.

It really bothers me when people try and connect to somebody whose involved in such a tragic event. Does it really matter if you were in her english class, or gym class?

The fact of the matter is that we have lost somebody that should not have been lost, somebody that offered a whole lot to this world, someone who meant alot to many people.

It's stupid to slice it and dice it and say 'its so horrible because she wasnt even drinking or doing drugs.' It's so horrible because she is gone, stripped away forever, for no reason whatsoever, period.

There is no good that will come out of this, and as a catholic whose preached to believe that everything happens for a reason, I just fail to see the reason or the good.

I suppose it can remind us all that life is too short, life isn't fair, and that you can't take life for granted and need to live it to the fullest; I am flying out to Massachusetts in a couple hours, maybe this will be the last time you hear from me. You just simply don't know. Nothing is guaranteed in life.

Rest In Peace, Ari.

'Only the good die young'

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 10:30 AM)
It really bothers me when people try and connect to somebody whose involved in such a tragic event.  Does it really matter if you were in her english class, or gym class?

The fact of the matter is that we have lost somebody that should not have been lost, somebody that offered a whole lot to this world, someone who meant alot to many people.

It's stupid to slice it and dice it and say 'its so horrible because she wasnt even drinking or doing drugs.'  It's so horrible because she is gone, stripped away forever, for no reason whatsoever, period.

There is no good that will come out of this, and as a catholic whose preached to believe that everything happens for a reason, I just fail to see the reason or the good.

I suppose it can remind us all that life is too short, life isn't fair, and that you can't take life for granted and need to live it to the fullest; I am flying out to Massachusetts in a couple hours, maybe this will be the last time you hear from me.  You just simply don't know.  Nothing is guaranteed in life.

Rest In Peace, Ari.

'Only the good die young'

R&W, I respectfully say that you are being too judgmental here. That's how people, especially young people, cope with something like this. This is a slap in the face to those young people that go through life thinking that they are indestructible and it is a stunner when they are faced with the fact that they are not. I saw the devastation that my son's friends went through when he died. They've got to do what they've got to do. Allow them to mourn and cope in whatever way they need to.