Iowa City hit by F2 Tornado

Heads22

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 01:58 PM)
Yeah seeing a tornado is something I just wanna experience. Although I really hope nothing serious would happen to anything.

I saw the movie Twister. That was good enough for me.. :unsure:

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 01:49 PM)
Yeah it is a great place. Too bad I wasn't going to ISU next year, otherwise we could've met up sometime. Instead I'm going to UNI though. Who knows maybe I'll transfer there if I don't like it in Cedar Falls.

Did you ever hear about the Charles City tornadoes in the early 60's? I forgot what the date was but no one there thought a tornado could rip through a river town because they have the Cedar River there. Anyways my cousion once talked to a lady whose house got hit by one of the three tornadoes that day. And a week or so later they got a message that her coat was found up by Austin, Minnesota, about 70 miles away.

Yeah, it was the same day as the Oelwein one, May 15, 1968. I believe that was also an F5.....two of them that close together is just crazy.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
The Albion, PA one killed several people that my parents know - I wasn't old enough to remember them - but that tornado went RIGHT through where we used to live.  Had we been in Pennsylvania and not moved to Indiana, we probably would have been dead.  We went back and helped clean up after the tornado.  I was 12, but I will never forget the damage, destruction, and all out power of that storm 20 days after it had hit.

The trees were COMPLETELY dry - 100 year old trees had the sap clear sucked out of them.  And you could see the rotation of the winds in the remaining trunks.  The trees were down for 1.5 miles - just the same - and the storm was so powerful that it went up mountains and down valleys for 65 miles (most tornados in PA jump from hilltop to hilltop).

I am honestly very surprised that list doesn't include what was, as far as I know, the deadliest tornado ever recorded - the Tri-State tornado. Ripped through MO, IL and IN in the 50's I think, killed hundreds of people, wiped numerous entire towns off the map.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 03:47 PM)
I am honestly very surprised that list doesn't include what was, as far as I know, the deadliest tornado ever recorded - the Tri-State tornado.  Ripped through MO, IL and IN in the 50's I think, killed hundreds of people, wiped numerous entire towns off the map.

It was just in reference to multi-vortex storms. I dunno it the Tri-States was a multi-vortex. The one that hit my town had 2-3 tornadoes, depending on who you ask. I think the second funnel was an F1. I also think the big one might have gone clockwise, but I don't remember where I heard that.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
I am honestly very surprised that list doesn't include what was, as far as I know, the deadliest tornado ever recorded - the Tri-State tornado.  Ripped through MO, IL and IN in the 50's I think, killed hundreds of people, wiped numerous entire towns off the map.

I've heard they think that it was a string or tornadoes and not just one now. Not quite sure on that one either.

My apartment was hit, I'm across the street from where that sorority house is that they keep showing on the news channels. My car got the worst of it, with the bricks from the buildings around us smashing it up pretty good, and it was also picked up and slammed into the car next to it. I did see it form, and realized it was coming straight for our building and ran for cover on the bottom floor, since there's no basement or shelter. There was the whole freight train noise and then everyone's ears started popping so we knew it was for real. We were pretty lucky overall though, it could have been so much worse. Everyone's ok and the building's mostly intact, but it's gonna take a long time to get everything cleaned up.

QUOTE(shaneomacfan @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 06:57 PM)
My apartment was hit, I'm across the street from where that sorority house is that they keep showing on the news channels. My car got the worst of it, with the bricks from the buildings around us smashing it up pretty good, and it was also picked up and slammed into the car next to it. I did see it form, and realized it was coming straight for our building and ran for cover on the bottom floor, since there's no basement or shelter. There was the whole freight train noise and then everyone's ears started popping so we knew it was for real. We were pretty lucky overall though, it could have been so much worse. Everyone's ok and the building's mostly intact, but it's gonna take a long time to get everything cleaned up.

One of my high school classmates had something smash into their car down there. lol I was looking at someone's info on my buddy list and it said "Only Iowa can get a party going after a disaster." I thought that was kinda funny.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 07:52 PM)
One of my high school classmates had something smash into their car down there. lol I was looking at someone's info on my buddy list and it said "Only Iowa can get a party going after a disaster." I thought that was kinda funny.

Oh yeah, haha, forgot to add that part. We salvaged one item from our fridge, the beer of course. People were having a pretty good time once we realized everyone was ok, lol.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 07:25 AM)

That's AWESOME!!! Did you shoot that?

I was just there this weekend (my wife's family if from NE of Iowa City). This tornado was all they were talking about.