AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

greasywheels121

The count was simply masterful last night, his pitches were dancing all over the plate. I love this quote:

Contreras took care of the Angels in what he described as one of his best games during his winning streak. Contreras credited the development of a change-up that kept the Angels' hitters off-balance.

What isnt in Contreras' arsenal? With the different angles and speeds he throws at, its no wonder he is on such a streak. He is truly fun to watch, unbelieveably dominant right now. Last year I used to get butterflies everytime he came up to pitch, because I didnt know which Count we would get and I couldnt believe that he had actually solved his problems, but not anymore. Now I know he is going to compete every time.

There has to be some fun quotes on Yankee messageboards complaining about Contreras' success, lol.

Loaiza was one of the best things to ever happen to KW.

He signs ELo to a very cheap contract, and he ends up finishing 2nd in the Cy-Young race. He comes back and struggles a bit. We're able to push him off for Jose Contreras. I remember how all the baseball critics were praising Cashman for getting rid of Contreras, to get a starter such as Loaiza.

And the rest is history.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 08:17 AM)
Loaiza was one of the best things to ever happen to KW.

He signs ELo to a very cheap contract, and he ends up finishing 2nd in the Cy-Young race.  He comes back and struggles a bit.  We're able to push him off for Jose Contreras.  I remember how all the baseball critics were praising Cashman for getting rid of Contreras, to get a starter such as Loaiza.

And the rest is history.

I was ecstatic to see Elo go, even at the time. He was dogging it the entire year, and it was pissing me off. Now the Sox have the pleasure of watching Contreras for at least 3 more years after 2006. It puts a smile on my face. :)

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 09:23 AM)
I was ecstatic to see Elo go, even at the time.  He was dogging it the entire year, and it was pissing me off.  Now the Sox have the pleasure of watching Contreras for at least 3 more years after 2006.  It puts a smile on my face.  :)

Same. Not many of us we're fond of Loaiza that year. I remember he was giving up a lot of runs, but the Sox were scoring plenty for him. Yet, when he left, he said he was glad to be pitching behind a real lineup in NY that would give him support.

Oh well. KW couldn't have bought low and sold high any better.

Jose pitched a great game. I questioned taking him out in the 9th when he was pitching to well but it was probably the right thing to do. The only thing I would have done differently, I would have put in Bobby Jenks in the 9th in the first place. It all worked out for a White Sox win! :D :gosoxretro: :gosox1: :gosox2: :gosox4:

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 08:25 AM)
Same.  Not many of us we're fond of Loaiza that year.  I remember he was giving up a lot of runs, but the Sox were scoring plenty for him.  Yet, when he left, he said he was glad to be pitching behind a real lineup in NY that would give him support. 

Oh well.  KW couldn't have bought low and sold high any better.

I will have to say this about KW, he took his lumps early and often as a GM, and there were some bad deals mixed in there, but he has tremendous focus and guile now. I bet you if he calls a GM on a player, most GMs take drastic pause to figure out exactly why he wants that player now. I really dont think he overpays anyone, and he squeezes as much value out as he can.

After last night's performance, I came her expecting to write AMEN to some post about another masterful pitching job by the ACE of our staff. Anyway, when I didn't find such a post, I decided to start one.

Let me put my love for Jose this way. With him on our staff, I give us a pretty fair shot at winning another World Series. Without him, I'd say our chances would be negligible. That's how much of a difference having a true #1 ACE can make.

Keep up the great work Jose. You are da MAN!