Lecroy benched, Robinson cries

Kyyle23

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5634524

The Houston Astros had stolen seven bases - the most by any team in the majors in nearly four years - against third-string catcher Matthew LeCroy. After three batters in the seventh inning, with the tying run on base and shortly after LeCroy had committed his second error by throwing a ball into center field, Robinson pulled him for emergency catcher Robert Fick.

"If my daddy was managing this team, I'm sure he would have done the same thing," LeCroy said.

Robinson took it a lot harder.

"I feel for him," Robinson said. "And I hope the fans understand. And I just appreciate him hanging in there as long as he did."

"It's not LeCroy's fault. We know his shortcoming," Robinson said. "They took advantage of them today. ... I wasn't trying to embarrass him in any way. It's just a move that at that time I felt like I had to do for the good of the ballclub. That would have been a very devastating loss for those guys, and I'm just happy they held together out there."

LeCroy, Gonzalez and Fick are the Nationals' backup-by-committee for Schneider, who is scheduled to come off the disabled list Friday after missing 14 games with a hamstring injury. Gonzalez was unavailable after getting a concussion Wednesday night when he was hit in the head by a backswing

7 stolen bases? I cant believe he wasnt pulled sooner.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 26, 2006 -> 06:24 AM)
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5634524

7 stolen bases? I cant believe he wasnt pulled sooner.

Not much he could do. Lecroy was the 3rd catcher if you make the move any earlier and then Fick gets hurt they are done. It is a bad situation to starting your 3rd string catcher.