how far has hockey fallen?

Do we know you? Probably. Enjoy your one day here.

what?

do I have to have permission to post topic if so sorry

if it is for the hilljack comment I am sorry. but I still do not feel nascar on the same level as the big three

Well, on topic, I don't think Hockey has fallen nearly as far from the lockout as I wish it would have. I'm not a hockey fan, and I have nothing against Hockey...but my concern is that other leagues, ones I actually do care about, will start looking more to the NHL Lockout as an example of what happens with a long labor dispute instead of the 94 MLB strike.

The 94 MLB strike was an absolute disaster, and I think it's the reason why there was only 1 major lockout between 94 and the NHL strike (NBA, right after Jordan). But if players/owners start thinking that the bottom line might not suffer as much after a strike as MLB did in '94, then they might be more willing to go the work stoppage route.

Hockey is something that many more Americans would embrace if they understood it better. I blame the lack of understanding on a HUGE marketing problem.

If the NHL (and to some extent the minor leagues) could fix that, the tv contracts would come in (besides OLN) and the popularity would pick up.

The game last night was an awesome display of guts, action, heartbreak, and the sheer will of an athlete to be your best on the biggest stage of your sport. It had it all. The sport will continue to do well with that sort of thing as a backdrop.

Kap put it best folks, lack of understanding and non stop action.

You know why people can sit and watch baseball and football on TV? Because there are breaks every 25 seconds and that gives those watching on TV a chance to flip to a different game, check scores, etc. With hockey, sometimes you dont get a stop in play for 4 or 5 minutes. The average person doesnt wanna deal with that. IMO. Plus, 4 or 5 minutes of action without understanding of what's going on will really cause a loss of viewers.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 03:29 PM)
Kap put it best folks, lack of understanding and non stop action.

You know why people can sit and watch baseball and football on TV? Because there are breaks every 25 seconds and that gives those watching on TV a chance to flip to a different game, check scores, etc. With hockey, sometimes you dont get a stop in play for 4 or 5 minutes. The average person doesnt wanna deal with that. IMO. Plus, 4 or 5 minutes of action without understanding of what's going on will really cause a loss of viewers.

Personally, I'd probably have wound up being a hockey fan as well had I not grown up in suburban Chicago.

I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz! I hate Dollar Bill Wirtz!

They said on PTI yesterday that the first game of the Women's College Softball World Series got higher ratings than game one of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Yes, hockey has fallen off.

I just realized the question was how far has hockey fallen off, and not whether or not it has. The answer, then, is "laughably."

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 01:21 PM)
They said on PTI yesterday that the first game of the Women's College Softball World Series got higher ratings than game one of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Yes, hockey has fallen off.

I just realized the question was how far has hockey fallen off, and not whether or not it has. The answer, then, is "laughably."

Considering it was on OLN of all f***ing stations (which unless you have comcast, you don't have), I am not surprised.

To be honest, I see this as a similar comment to those who went on and on about low ratings for the last WS. I couldn't care less about ratings. I will continue supporting the Canes (who made a profit this year, mind you) and Senators as long as I can.

GO CANES!!! :cheers

Edited by Queen Prawn

QUOTE(BabyJesus69 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just because hockey's been dead in chicago for the last 10 years doesn't mean that hockey isn't still one of the 4 most popular sports in america

That's not saying much at all

NHL sets attendance records

Associated Press

NHL attendance was up 2.4 percent from the last season before the lockout, with the league setting records for average and total fans, and the Montreal Canadiens selling out all of their home games to set a team record.

The NHL played to 91.7 percent of capacity, drawing 20,854,169 fans for 1,230 regular-season games for an average of 16,955. In 2003-04, the last season before the lockout, the league drew 20,356,199 for an average of 16,550. The previous records of 16,760 a game and 20,614,613 overall were set in 2001-02.

MLS ATTENDANCE SUMMARY 1996-2005 
Year G Total Average Growth Median* 
1996 160 2,785,001 17,406  15,093 
1997 160 2,339,019 14,619 -16.0% 12,733 
1998 192 2,747,897 14,312 -2.1% 11,871 
1999 192 2,742,102 14,282 -0.2% 12,973 
2000 192 2,641,085 13,756 -3.7% 12,690 
2001 158 2,363,859 14,961 +8.8% 13,431 
2002 140 2,214,878 15,821 +5.7% 14,108 
2003 150 2,234,397 14,898 -5.8% 13,719 
2004 150 2,333,797 15,559 +4.4% 13,285 
2005 192 2,900,716 15,108  -2.9% 12,619 
TOTAL 1,686 25,303,092 15,008 -13.2% 13,188

Pretty close IMO.

According to the Washington Post, OHN posted a 0.4 rating for this year's playoffs thus far. In 2004 ESPN's coverage posted a 0.7. NBC's coverage of select playoff games this year posted a 1.1. ABC posted a 1.5 rating two years ago for the same amount of games.

Paul Swangard of the Warsaw Sports Marketing Center at the University of Oregon explained to the Washington Post the severity of the NHL's broadcast situation.

"You look at the playoff [ratings] numbers, and they have been beaten pretty soundly by poker and bowling," Swangard said. "But I don't think this year was ever about robust TV numbers. It was about the gate and about competitive balance. With an economic model that doesn't rely on television, they can make this league work long-term."

Television ratings for the Stanley Cup should get a boost in Canada. The Stanley Cup features the Edmonton Oilers this year. They are in the Cup for the first time since 1990. US ratings could take another serious plunge, however, as the only American team featured is from a small market in the Carolina Hurricanes

....and no offense to Jason or the the other Admins, but I think the blackhawks board was a waste of your time. Nobody has made a post in the "official" playoff thread since May 29th. 1 Post was made today, and it was a spammer, with the last real post made on June 7th