This song reminds me of...

Middle Buffalo

Ever hear a certain song and get instantly transported back in time. (Sounds like a line written for Barry Williams to hawk a best of the '70's compilation disc).

When I hear "Heaven" by Bryan Adams, it's 1985 all over again. Every time I hear it (which isn't often) I think of the song that was playing while I danced with my grade school crush. :wub: I was in love with her for 6 years, and then finally asked her out in 8th grade. Lasted about 3 weeks. Best three weeks of my life. I would have married that girl.

Yeah, most anything from the early Cure, Adam Ant, Depeche Mode, Howard Jones, etc. will always remind me of my first major earth-moving high school love. Most of the stuff drove me nuts at the time because I was much more rock and roll oriented, but I spent a lot of time quietly suffering through it to bask in the glow of her majectic presence.

Damn, was I whipped good. :P

Excellent thread. I am definately going to throw in a couple here...

-Baby Got Back, Summer after HS graduation

-The Tootsie Roll, One of my college roommates, and broadcast partners who was killed by a lowlife DUI bastard

-Yellow Submarine, My old college radio show

-Hickory's fight song in Hoosiers, Manchester HS basketball games, as this song is their fight song

I have more, but I want to see how the thread goes first...

I did a CD a few years ago of all the songs that were played in the clubs I went to back in the 80's. Songs I was not a fan of then, but have since then caused me to go back in time. I gave a copy to my sister and it actually brought out tears.

Some songs from it:

"Halloween" - Ministry

"Dig It" - Skinny Puppy

"Cities Of Dust" - Siouxie And The Banshees

"Time Zone" - John Lydon and Afrika Bambataa

"GO!" - Tones On Tail

"Eighties" - Killing Joke

"Bizaare Love Triangle" - New Order

"Work For Love" - Ministry

"The Ghost In You" - The Psychedelic Furs

"Nemesis" - Shriekback

"Read About It" - Midnight Oil

And many more that I can't remember right now.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 08:08 AM)
I did a CD a few years ago of all the songs that were played in the clubs I went to back in the 80's. Songs I was not a fan of then, but have since then caused me to go back in time. I gave a copy to my sister and it actually brought out tears.

Some songs from it:

"Halloween" - Ministry

"Dig It" - Skinny Puppy

"GO!" - Tones On Tail

"Nemesis" - Shriekback

I thought you put "World Destruction" by Lydon/Bambataa on the disc you burned for me?

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 08:08 AM)

Some songs from it:

"Halloween" - Ministry

"Dig It" - Skinny Puppy

"GO!" - Tones On Tail

"Nemesis" - Shriekback

Those songs remind me of how f***in' horrible the 80's were. :P

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 12:14 PM)
I thought you put "World Destruction" by Lydon/Bambataa on the disc you burned for me?

Good catch. I always get the title of the song goofed. It was "World Destruction" by Time Zone, which was the name they called the band, but in the end of the song Lydon starts yelling that "time zone" bit.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 11:31 PM)
Ever hear a certain song and get instantly transported back in time. (Sounds like a line written for Barry Williams to hawk a best of the '70's compilation disc).

When I hear "Heaven" by Bryan Adams, it's 1985 all over again. Every time I hear it (which isn't often) I think of the song that was playing while I danced with my grade school crush. :wub: I was in love with her for 6 years, and then finally asked her out in 8th grade. Lasted about 3 weeks. Best three weeks of my life. I would have married that girl.

This happens on a daily basis with the "Flashback Lunch" on the local "alternative" radio station. In fact, they are playing Levolor by Veruca Salt which brings me back to my first apartment out of college.

Anything from the 80's brings me back to CO Daniel's at the U of I, cuz, well, i was at the first Time Warp Tuesday. Me and about 6 other people. That just makes me sad.

That's the great thing about music, though, it can play in any number of situations and plunk you right back into that space when you hear it again.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 12:24 PM)
Those songs remind me of how f***in' horrible the 80's were. :P

You kidding? "Eighties" is easily one of the coolest songs ever. "Read About It" was the last great thing Midnight Oil did. I'm not a fan of many of those songs, as they just remind me of some great times. Butr a few of those are great, great, great songs such as "Ghost In You" by Psychedelic Furs, who were just a cool band all around.

You want to remember how bad the 80's were, the underground isn't where that proof was. That proof is all over what was Top 40 radio.

"Because You Loved Me" - Celine Dion

It's a long story. I went to a Catholic high school and my buddy and I had a bet. He bet me $20 to go up and dance with our superintendent (a middle aged, conservative, austere doctorate holding Augustinian priest) at either our senior prom or at our senior dinner dance. Unfortunately for me, the superintendent no-showed the prom. The senior dinner dance rolls around and the superintendant is at a table with about 10 other teachers. The DJ had been playing some upbeat music, so I'm thinking "Sweet! I get a fast dance in and $20!" As I start talking to the teachers, I notice my friend is talking to the DJ. But I can't back out of this now. As I begin to ask the superintendant to dance with me, the opening to -- you guessed it -- that Celine Dion piece of crap starts playing. Unfortunately, I never got the $20 because the superintendant damn near ran away completely freaked out by the situation.

"It's Raining Men" - The Weathergirls

Another high school story. My high school was filled with some major league homophobes (who told stories of how they'd beat up gay kids, etc...just some real jackbooted assmunches) So, senior prom rolls around and they're all trying to dance + be all macho. My friend and I walk up to the DJ and I say "I want you to play a really rocking song because I want to see the impact here. I want you to play "It's Raining Men". The DJ doesn't miss a beat and says that it is next. Within 45 seconds of that song playing, my friend and I were the only guys on the dance floor with damn near every girl in the senior class. It was pretty hilarious to watch the homophobic guys start to get into it dancing to the song and then realizing what the song was -- and they ran off the damn dance floor like a scalded dog.

"Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except for Me and My Monkey" - The Beatles

The song that was playing when I got my first kiss.

Sister Hazel: Change your mind

Reminds me of riding in a car with the first boy I ever loved with the wind blowing and the sun shining. Just one of those idealic memories, that seems almost fake.

The Venga Boys: Sex on the Beach

Pretty much my entire first year of college, we played that song incessently.

The Weathergirls: It's Raining Men

Drunken karaoke at the L & M and my always sober and Designated Driver friend getting up and singing this--stone cold sober in front of all the drunks.

Liz Phair: Why Can't I?

Worst re-break up of my life, and all the radio played was that piece of s*** song.

Dar Williams: Anything (but notably The Pagans and the Christians, End of the Summer and the song about February)

Always reminds me of one of my best friends in college, I have lots of Dar's cd's and I can never listen to one without missing Allie.

Nelly: Hot In Here

My sister loved this song. I remember I was standing in the kitchen one night when she got off work and she just walks through the kitch removing her clothes (had to go through the kitchen to get to the laundry room) while singing this song.

50 Cent: In Da Club and Magic Stick

My sister again, she would sing this song under her breath in my ear during all the hymns last easter. I would crack up--and get the death ray stares from the parents.