Is our Defense really that bad?

Hangar18

It seems our defense has been letting us down alot more than from last year. I am not sold on Mackowiak in CF long-term though I like his bat. One thing that stood out to me last nite, was a situation that allowed the Tigers to tie the game early. Magglio was on 1st, and the Tiger hitter looped one directly to LF.

Podsednik, at first froze then breezed over towards the line to get the ball. Maggs saw this and never stopped running, Pods hurried and seemed poised to make a play at 3rd, but threw towards 2nd to stop the runner from advancing. Moments later, a fly ball to Center scored Maggs.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 11:52 AM)
If Pods hadn't held the runner at 1st, and that flyball ended up being a base hit, then the Tigers score 2.

Actually, I was referring to Pods play, had he gotten to the ball sooner, Maggs doesnt go to 3rd

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 01:26 PM)
No, just leave Pods in LF, where because of his speed he's passable. CF just exposes his route running problems too much.

Okay... But cf exposes everything about Mack.

Granted, they both suck. But cf is the more important position, so you have to ask, who is worse?

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 01:31 PM)
I'd have to say Pods is worse. I just hope BA starts hitting and we can all forget about this...

Of course, I'm dreaming about millions in cash and Scarlett Johanson as well.

No, I'm with you there -- on all three. :D

But I still expect BA to get back on track. I just wonder how people would fall, in the unlikely, rare event that I'm wrong.

I've sat in right field 3 recent games Mack has played in center-his footwork is not good, arm isnt that great and he dont hit well enuf to tolerate that regularly. Dye has been great. Pods is adequate . The OF defense obviously misses Aaron, and I worry about it in larger fields.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 12:27 PM)

Granted, they both suck. But cf is the more important position, so you have to ask, who is worse?

Good Post. I agree completely, also with Klaus. This isnt the NL, and Mack is only playing passable CF.

Too many balls are getting into the gaps with the hitters here in the AL. Unfortuneately, we have to keep things just like they are, because CF would expose Pods' arm ............

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 12:27 PM)

Both will probably get to the same number of balls hit to center despite their difference in speed. The problem with Pods is his arm. Mack's isn't that good but Pod's is like Juan Pierre, which means guys will tag from first on fly balls to center like they do on Pierre.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 11:56 AM)
According to defensive efficiency rating, which is simply the % of balls in play a team turns into outs, the Sox are 2nd in the AL and 6th in MLB with a mark of .709.

The defense is still fine, it's the godawful hangers are pitchers are throwing that's the problem.

where did you find that out?