Sutcliffe boozing again?!?

retro1983hat

On Jonathon Brandmeier's show this morning he played a clip of Rick Sutcliffe in the booth with Len Kaspar and Bob Brenly and they cut him pretty quick because he sounded sloshed. He then played Sut singing Take Me Out to the Ballgame and he was slurring all over.

Has anyone else heard this? How come there's not the attention like when he was in the booth in San Diego last month?

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 11:58 AM)
On Jonathon Brandmeier's show this morning he played a clip of Rick Sutcliffe in the booth with Len Kaspar and Bob Brenly and they cut him pretty quick because he sounded sloshed. He then played Sut singing Take Me Out to the Ballgame and he was slurring all over.

Has anyone else heard this? How come there's not the attention like when he was in the booth in San Diego last month?

I was flipping channels and saw his "interview". He definitely sounded like he had a few beers already, but he wasnt as Loaded Drunk like before. He kept saying "look at this place", not referring to what he was talking about, and he gushed like a cheerleader about how great 1984 was. Memo to Sutcliffe: You guys didnt win anything.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude, it was a joke on Johnny B's show. They slowed down the entire tape. Didn't you notce that the organ was playing slow and the people in the background were all singing slow. Come on man.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 12:11 PM)
and he gushed like a cheerleader about how great 1984 was. Memo to Sutcliffe: You guys didnt win anything.

So were all the guys at the Sox 1983 reunion wrong for gushing over that great year? They didn't win anything either, but for the players it was a great year.

Wasn't Jack McDowell in the booth during a game gushing over 1993 and how great that was?

QUOTE(zach23 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 06:56 PM)
So were all the guys at the Sox 1983 reunion wrong for gushing over that great year? They didn't win anything either, but for the players it was a great year.

Wasn't Jack McDowell in the booth during a game gushing over 1993 and how great that was?

Hey, no problem with gushing about a great year, but Sutcliffe was slightly boozin', and never once said

"too bad we didnt go all the way" or acknowledging the shortcomings of his team. The thing I like about the SOX of 83, is how they ALL lament the fact that they didnt finish the job, and are the first to admit they didnt bring it all home. Ron Kittle at SOX fest said as much to me, saying 83 was fun, but we can all stop talking about it, because 05 won it all.

As a kid, I was always depressed about 83, because that was our year. How different things wouldve been had we won it all way back then. All I ever thought about thru the years, was if we couldve gotten past that game, and scored 1 measly run, the next day HOYT would take the mound, and let me tell you,

with all of that on the line, LaMarr Hoyt was going to throw a NO HITTER, thats how much confidence I and im sure many others had in him.

I got to meet LaMarr Hoyt, he was one of my favorite players on that team, he autographed my 83 jersey (with his 31 on it) and I told him it was an honor to meet him, and Im glad he worked out his problems.

I asked what was his biggest regret was, and like clockwork, without pause, said he wished he couldve pitched that game. He said they wouldve won it all, if he couldve gotten one more start. My friend Kevin was with me, and we were both like wow, just what we were thinking.

QUOTE(zach23 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 06:56 PM)

Sure, but lets not act like he was patting himself on the back. Ive met BlackJack several times,

and he will be the first to tell you wholeheartedly, that 93 was incomplete, he wishes they couldve gone all the way.

He will also tell you 94 was THE YEAR ........... and they never got to finish

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 05:19 PM)
Dude, it was a joke on Johnny B's show. They slowed down the entire tape. Didn't you notce that the organ was playing slow and the people in the background were all singing slow. Come on man.

So it was a joke, yet he's still being libeled...?

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 02:35 PM)
Hey, no problem with gushing about a great year, but Sutcliffe was slightly boozin', and never once said

"too bad we didnt go all the way" or acknowledging the shortcomings of his team.

How anally retentive of you. :D

Sutcliffe is cool. s*** man, he went 16-1 in 20 games started for the Cubs that year. They were up two games to none in a Best-Of-Five NLCS. That was probably the greatest year of his life. Let the man reminisce.

QUOTE(tealeafreaderii @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 06:10 PM)
verbally fellating

Heh, that's a good one. Do you mind if I use that?