Good news

Cerbaho-WG

4th round selection Robert Valido, who was said to be the best defensive shortstop in the draft, has made it pretty clear that he will sign with the Sox. His close friend, Guillermo Martinez who was his teammate at 2nd, might not.

“It’s a very good organization, with a good player development system,” Valido added of the White Sox. “I’m hoping to move up quickly and make it to the big leagues soon.”

Valido is expected to sign soon with the White Sox, but Martinez’s status is a little bit uncertain. He expected to go in the top 15 rounds, and the draft sleight might send him to South Alabama -- where he has a full scholarship. Martinez could also opt for one season at a junior college, with the White Sox retaining his draft rights.

Linkage!!! http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cha

Sign Valido, and then get King and Sweeney inked!

f*** college.  You only got 1 shot at the pros.  You can always go to school.

i REALLY like this yr draft. this is by far a better potential draft than last yr. well i mean in the 1 rounder at least.

now if we sign some of these really good hs prospect.

i REALLY like this yr draft. this is by far a better potential draft than last yr. well i mean in the 1 rounder at least.

now if we sign some of these really good hs prospect.

I want to sign them as well. These guys could be our future. What I really want to do is get rid of 1 or 2 very large salaries to sign these guys. Get rid of Konerko and get whatever we can get for him, and get rid of Koch, though I'd get a little more for him....a pretty good prospect.

f*** college.  You only got 1 shot at the pros.  You can always go to school.

I agree! Even if you blow, hang around the minors for a while, save some money and just go to college later. ATTENTION ALL WHITE SOX DRAFT PICKS... SIGN ON THE DOTTED LINE...

As for all Cub draft picks... Get out of the organization ASAP! :cheers

I agree!  Even if you blow, hang around the minors for a while, save some money and just go to college later.  ATTENTION ALL WHITE SOX DRAFT PICKS... SIGN ON THE DOTTED LINE...

My dad told me a kind of a cool story about that. He always had memories when he was little (8 or 9 or so) of watching his grandfather on TV right behind home plate of every single Cub game. He never knew how his grandfather got the tickets, but just knew they were his.

Well a few (25) years went by, and his grandfather died. Then, at the funeral, who shows up other than Bob Kennedy, the former player for the Sox and Indians (among other teams) and later manager for the Cubs and A's. My dad, of course, being the baseball buff that he was at the time (still is, but doesn't follow nearly as closely) went up to him and asked him how Kennedy knew his grandfather. Lo and behold, it was Kennedy who had given his grandfather the tickets behind home plate every game for those summers he was the manager. His reason? He was approached by the Sox staff toward the end of the depression and was offered a pro contract, right as he had been accepted to college (can't remember where, but he would have been the first in his family to go to college, from what I understand). Everyone he asked said, "oh, you have to go to college. Get your education and get a job. That's what you need to do."

Then he asked a family friend, grandpa Flannigan (my dad's grandfather). His exact words, "go for the pros! Are you kiddin' me? You can always go to college; you only get one shot at the pros!" He was the only person who ever told him that, and he was the only one Kennedy listened to. So, as I said again, f*** college. Sign with the Sox.

I agree!  Even if you blow, hang around the minors for a while, save some money and just go to college later.  ATTENTION ALL WHITE SOX DRAFT PICKS... SIGN ON THE DOTTED LINE...

My dad told me a kind of a cool story about that. He always had memories when he was little (8 or 9 or so) of watching his grandfather on TV right behind home plate of every single Cub game. He never knew how his grandfather got the tickets, but just knew they were his.

Well a few (25) years went by, and his grandfather died. Then, at the funeral, who shows up other than Bob Kennedy, the former player for the Sox and Indians (among other teams) and later manager for the Cubs and A's. My dad, of course, being the baseball buff that he was at the time (still is, but doesn't follow nearly as closely) went up to him and asked him how Kennedy knew his grandfather. Lo and behold, it was Kennedy who had given his grandfather the tickets behind home plate every game for those summers he was the manager. His reason? He was approached by the Sox staff toward the end of the depression and was offered a pro contract, right as he had been accepted to college (can't remember where, but he would have been the first in his family to go to college, from what I understand). Everyone he asked said, "oh, you have to go to college. Get your education and get a job. That's what you need to do."

Then he asked a family friend, grandpa Flannigan (my dad's grandfather). His exact words, "go for the pros! Are you kiddin' me? You can always go to college; you only get one shot at the pros!" He was the only person who ever told him that, and he was the only one Kennedy listened to. So, as I said again, f*** college. Sign with the Sox.

I have to disagree with going pro over college. I am using a double standard because I hope all of the high school kids that the Sox drafted sign, but passing up turning pro to go to college is a very smart move. You pretend that if these guys don't sign they will never have a chance to turn pro again, but that is incorrect. Just like you can go to college later in life you can also reenter the draft from college, so going pro is certainly not a once in a life time opportunity. Playing D1 college ball is no different then playing in the lower levels of the minors(talent and development wise), so why not get an education in the process. These kids have been given a golden opportunity. What are they going to fall back on if they never make it to the big show? Save money while playing college ball? Do you understand how little most of those guys make in the minors? They barely have enough money to survive let alone save money for college. Most of these kids have been given full rides to play college ball, but if they turn pro they will have to end up paying for college and some of these kids don't have the money to do so. Not to mention the fact that it is much harder to go back to college after a couple of years layoff. The smart move is to go to college, because the cold hard facts say that very few of these kids will make the majors and they need something to fall back on. With that said lets hope the Sox sign their high school draft picks.

I agree and disagree with both of you. LOL

The college vs. sign out of HS decision really depends on the individual.

Most contracts include provisions to pay for college or a certain portion of it if the player does not make the Majors within a specified time. But the reality of many of these kids going back to start college after playing Minor League ball for 3-5 years is not likely. At that point, most of these guys feel they need to go get a job and make money, especially if they have gotten married.

A lot depends on the physical and mental maturity of the kid. In my mind, if a guy is a 1st-3rd round pick, the decision is pretty easy. The money is such that it would be really difficult to turn down the money and opportnity. As a general rule, kids drafted that high are obviously the most ready for professional baseball physically, but there are exceptions.

Kids drafted in the 4th thru the 10th round are in that gray area and the decision really should reflect on the individual. After that, it is pretty much a crapshoot. The less money an organization has invested in you, the less chances you will get. A guy drafted in the 12th round will have to far outperform guys drafted earlier just to get the same opportunities. Remember, some kids just aren't great students or school is just not for them. Obviously those kids are more likely to sign out of HS.

Lastly, something to be considered. I read recently that almost 80% of pitchers drafted out of HS end up having arm surgery before they ever make the Majors (if they do). I don't recall the % of college players, but it was considerably lower.

Well one guy thats going to college is our 50th round pick. He's a catcher named Gaston and has a 4.0 and is going to Notre Dame, I think on a full ride, to play baseball.

The kid threw out like 78% of would be base stealers and is really pretty damn good. But there is no way he's turning down an education from Notre Dame and the chance to move up a ton in the draft.

Me, if I was in the situation I'd look at it if I could get enough money where I could get by without college I'd go for it, otherwise I want an education and to me thats a safer bet then being a 35th round pick.

Basically if they paid me enough to the point that it was worth taking the risk.

Guest wsc425

Do the draftees get the money guaranteed?

Do the players in the minors get payed? (If so...)

What is the minimum pay for the minors?

The money is all in the form of a signing bonus, and then they get paid a very minimal salary by the team each month or something like that.

The only real money that get though is the signing bonus in all honesty.

The signing bonus has to be paid (I believe) by the end of the calendar year in which they sign, with an exception for a player that is a two-sport athlete (ala Borchard) where the bonus can be spread out over threee years.

Player's salaries in the Minors are minimal until they are placed on the 40-man roster (for the 2nd year) or become a 6-year free agent. For example, a first year player may make approx. $1,000/month (for the 5-month season - April-August). A guy in AA starts out around $1,500 or $1,600/month.