So can we agree now that we won the Colon trade?

sox-r-us

Osuna has been struggling in New York (so much that he was not used against the cubs in game 2 and 3 at all, with Joe Torre preferrign Acevedo who is their Rick White)

Liefer got waived by Expos

Biddle is back this average self

On the other hand, Colon has been one of the few bright spots this year......he has 5 CGs and would have more wins if only we had an O

Guest hotsoxchick1
Osuna has been struggling in New York (so much that he was not used against the cubs in game 2 and 3 at all, with Joe Torre preferrign Acevedo who is their Rick White)

On the other hand, Colon  has been one of the few bright spots this year......he has 5 CGs and would have more wins if only we had an O

i dont know i would rather have burns baby back... as for oh tuna i never minded him and he did pretty well for us........liefer did good too for us when allowed to play .........as far as bart goes.. yeah we did alright with gettin him but look at what it cost us and the replacements we got taking over those roles..........id give anything to get rid of white right about now.....

On the other hand, Colon  has been one of the few bright spots this year......he has 5 CGs and would have more wins if only we had an O

i dont know i would rather have burns baby back... as for oh tuna i never minded him and he did pretty well for us........liefer did good too for us when allowed to play .........as far as bart goes.. yeah we did alright with gettin him but look at what it cost us and the replacements we got taking over those roles..........id give anything to get rid of white right about now.....

Gotta disagree with you somewhat here, HSC.

The Colon trade was a winner from the day it was finalized because the Sox traded spare parts.

Osuna was expendable because of the bullpen depth the Sox had. I am not exactly sure why Rick White was signed because I felt that the depth was there and a replacement was available in-house.

Biddle was never going to get a real look with the Sox. He was good enough to hang on, but they didn't believe in him enough to give him a specified role. He would not have been closing games for the Sox and needed a change of scenery.

Liefer was not going to help either. He wouldn't have played any more this year than last year, where he did not succeed (nor did he in a similar role w/ the Expos). If the Sox didn't have Lee/Konerko/Thomas/Daubach, then Liefer may have gotten a chance at a bigger role, but that never happened, nor was it going to.

To "win" a trade, doesn't require the players you gave up to fail. For that matter, you don't even have to have a winner and a loser in a trade for it to be successful. Bart has more than held his own to make this trade a winner for the Sox, if designating a win is important to you.

I thought it was a winner from day 1. For all the b****ing I've done about the man, I have to agree on this one, he did a great job manuevering it around. Thank you Mr. Steinbrenner. And KW did ok too.

Let's sign Colon to a long term deal/ For a pitcher that means about 3 years, but Jerry R and Kenny W need to do it to show they are really committed to a Sox winner. I don't know of a better way to put it on the board. I think they should also go back to trying to sign MB and tie up Loiaza for a few more years.

Guest hotsoxchick1

Gotta disagree with you somewhat here, HSC.

The Colon trade was a winner from the day it was finalized because the Sox traded spare parts.

Osuna was expendable because of the bullpen depth the Sox had. I am not exactly sure why Rick White was signed because I felt that the depth was there and a replacement was available in-house.

Biddle was never going to get a real look with the Sox. He was good enough to hang on, but they didn't believe in him enough to give him a specified role. He would not have been closing games for the Sox and needed a change of scenery.

Liefer was not going to help either. He wouldn't have played any more this year than last year, where he did not succeed (nor did he in a similar role w/ the Expos). If the Sox didn't have Lee/Konerko/Thomas/Daubach, then Liefer may have gotten a chance at a bigger role, but that never happened, nor was it going to.

To "win" a trade, doesn't require the players you gave up to fail. For that matter, you don't even have to have a winner and a loser in a trade for it to be successful. Bart has more than held his own to make this trade a winner for the Sox, if designating a win is important to you.

two names.. rick white and flash gordon.... need i say more on how much they both suck and i would rather have burns baby and oh tuna back in their places........also colon isnt sticking around so what do we get in return when he exits???? most likely whoever is doing good down in trip a... better hope we have a few hot arms left after this season to fill barts shoes........the only reason i didnt like this deal from the get go is because its a tease... were not gonna keep bart, just wish we would have dumped a few s***ty arms in stead for him.......oh well......*sigh*

two names.. rick white and flash gordon.... need i say more on how much they both suck and i would rather have burns baby and oh tuna back in their places........also colon isnt sticking around so what do we get in return when he exits???? most likely whoever is doing good down in trip a... better hope we have a few hot arms left after this season to fill barts shoes........the only reason i didnt like this deal from the get go is because its a tease... were not gonna keep bart, just wish we would have dumped a few s***ty arms in stead for him.......oh well......*sigh*

Well I guarantee you we wouldn't be having this thread if PK, Maggs, Jose, CLee, Frank, Crede, etc., had been hitting consistently up to this point. This was a move that was supposed to give the team a 1-2-3 combo that could pitch with the best of 'em. If Gar would have lived up to his preseason hype, the team would have the best 1-4 in baseball. It's not Colon's fault this trade "isn't working out."

Guest hotsoxchick1
Well I guarantee you we wouldn't be having this thread if PK, Maggs, Jose, CLee, Frank, Crede, etc., had been hitting consistently up to this point.  This was a move that was supposed to give the team a 1-2-3 combo that could pitch with the best of 'em.  If Gar would have lived up to his preseason hype, the team would have the best 1-4 in baseball.  It's not Colon's fault this trade "isn't working out."

i didnt say it was colons fault that its not working out now did i????? all i said is this trade sucks because its a tease and the other guys suck(white and gordon) and we could have had our guys back(biddle and osuna) and most likely doing better than what we currently have ....................dont get your panties in a bunch cause im not thrilled with the colon trade.. its mho and thats all.............

i didnt say it was colons fault that its not working out now did i????? all i said is this trade sucks because its a tease and the other guys suck(white and gordon) and we could have had our guys back(biddle and osuna) and most likely doing better than what we currently have ....................dont get your panties in a bunch cause im not thrilled with the colon trade.. its mho and thats all.............

Sorry if it sounded like I was accusing you of blaming Colon. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I'd still much rather have a stud like Colon than Biddle, Osuna, and Liefer. I know you're not saying Colon sucks, but you're implying (in saying the trade didn't work out) that his presence isn't enough to make up for those 3, which I disagree with.

I think you have to evaluate a trade based on what it is supposed to do for you as long as the guy you traded for didn't bomb.

This trade was a good one because it set up the Sox for a run at the Division Championship.

Yes, things have fallen apart, but that has nothing to do with the trade. Ginter could be up here now instead of White. Munoz could be here, but they chose to go with veterans in Gordon and White.

I think that trade was one KW had to try and make and it set everything it was supposed to. The trade cannot be faulted (as others have said) because the rest of the house has come crumbling down.

I think you have to evaluate a trade based on what it is supposed to do for you as long as the guy you traded for didn't bomb. 

This trade was a good one because it set up the Sox for a run at the Division Championship. 

Yes, things have fallen apart, but that has nothing to do with the trade.  Ginter could be up here now instead of White.  Munoz could be here, but they chose to go with veterans in Gordon and White. 

I think that trade was one KW had to try and make and it set everything it was supposed to.  The trade cannot be faulted (as others have said) because the rest of the house has come crumbling down.

Amen to that.

I agree we should sign him for three years.

I mean our hitting sucks this year; if we let pitchers go, our pitching could suck next year.

It's a vicious circle.

Keep the good players and trade prospects for veteran players.

Let's sign Colon to a long term deal/ For a pitcher that means about 3 years, but  Jerry R and Kenny W need to do it to show they are really committed to a Sox winner. I don't know of a better way to put it on the board. I think they should also go back to trying to sign MB and tie up Loiaza for a few more years.

Exactly. This deal is only a steal if we lock up Colon with a 3 or 4 year deal.

CWSOX45

Guest hotsoxchick1
Sorry if it sounded like I was accusing you of blaming Colon.  I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I'd still much rather have a stud like Colon than Biddle, Osuna, and Liefer.  I know you're not saying Colon sucks, but you're implying (in saying the trade didn't work out) that his presence isn't enough to make up for those 3, which I disagree with.

yes his presence can make up for those lost... but the ones we got to replace them surely suck.... i think i would have moved a few different guys to make that trade work out, so we didnt have to aquire white and gordon to fill spots.........ya know that new york had a big hand in that deal just to spite the bosox and im sure we could have traded away a few beer vendors and it wouldnt have made much difference.....the deal was going to happen reguardless... espically if king george couldnt aquire colon just to keep boston from gaining the upper hand out east........dont ya think? ;) it just pains me to see biddle doing so well somewhere else and thinking we could have had him do something for us instead of dying each time white gets called out to the mound.......

yes his presence can make up for those lost... but the ones we got to replace them surely suck.... i think i would have moved a few different guys to make that trade work out, so we didnt have to aquire white and gordon to fill spots.........ya know that new york had a big hand in that deal just to spite the bosox and im sure we could have traded away a few beer vendors and it wouldnt have made much difference.....the deal was going to happen reguardless... espically if king george couldnt aquire colon just to keep boston from gaining the upper hand out east........dont ya think? ;) it just pains me to see biddle doing so well somewhere else and thinking we could have had him do something for us instead of dying each time white gets called out to the mound.......

I just don't think Biddle would have been given the same role and chance as White. I really don't think you can compare the two. I think Rocky needed a change of scenery and has benefitted from it. I really don't think Rock was ever going to have great success with the Sox.

Guest hotsoxchick1

i dont know .. with some of the big changes coming down the line soon i think that burns baby would have done ok.......his conflict here will soon be gone.......but your right a change of scenery has done him good.......now if we can only change our scenery around here i think that things could get better.......(not that it matters much now but for next year we could start to look good)......... ;)