Official Soccer Thread

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Nixon @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 04:16 PM)
3-1 final. US looked tired at the end there. Don't understand some of the substitutions/starting line up.

Agreed.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 04:17 PM)
I'm so f***ing sick of getting red cards in big f***ing competitions. Last World Cup, Olympics, here. It's enough already.

I know, I don't know what it is either. The challenges that have sent us off have been marginal reds at that too. It's very disappointing, as I truly feel we are making tremendous strides but every time we are in a position challenge and prove ourselves, we do something like that to de-rail it.

Between getting lousy calls from terrible refs you guys do not help yourselves at all with the starting line ups/subs. Even down a man Italy was struggling against US until they subbed in Rossi who was basically the beneficiary of a very tired US team.

That was not a red card foul. Shouldve been a yellow.

Ref very easily couldve given a PK when Landon got drilled in the box but decided not to allow two PKs in one game I guess.

Oneywu is overrated IMO. That second goal should have been knocked away by him.

Overall I thought we played well. Hard to play an elite team with 10 guys for 60 minutes.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 03:23 PM)
Ref very easily couldve given a PK when Landon got drilled in the box but decided not to allow two PKs in one game I guess.

Oneywu is overrated IMO. That second goal should have been knocked away by him.

Overall I thought we played well. Hard to play an elite team with 10 guys for 60 minutes.

Yeah, Davies should have buried that open header late. Jozy should have put that early shot on goal (great scoring chance). They had opportunities. Howard played great. That's been the deal with US teams though. Finishing isn't all that good, but the goaltending is top tier and has been for a long time (Friedel, Keller even though I didn't like him).

Onyewu is good at certain things, but shows weaknesses in others. He is a good man marker, great in the air, but if he can't be physical with the forward he seems to struggle. Compared to the rest of the d (especially with Hejduk and Bocanegra hurt) Onyewu is the rock. If the expectations are reasonable, he's good. He is the best defender the US has currently.

I do agree the US played pretty well. I wasn't disappointed, it just sucks the way it went down.

Altidore really needed to finish that ball off in the first half.

I wish our guys would take more distance shots instead of always trying to get inside the box. Dempsey had a nice shot from distance as did Sacha late in the game.

UEFA U-21 Championships underway. Serbia v Italy in 15 minutes. Serbia made it to the finals last time but lost to the Netherlands and look to have an even stronger team this time. Can't wait to see some of our youngsters shine. Kacar, Sulejmani, and Tosic mainly. Unfortunately, Djordjevic and Obradovic are out with injuries.

Australia just beat Japan 2-1 here in Melbourne, Timmy Cahill with a double. Finished 5 points up in our qualifying group for the 2010 World Cup.

I'll say it now though, we've got no chance of making it through to the 16 unless Mark Viduka decides to play, since our manager prefers the 4-2-3-1 formation and we desperately need Dukes to hold up the ball so the likes of Kewell, Cahill and Bresciano (3 pretty damn good attacking midfielders) can link up forward.

If that happens, I think the quarters are a realistic possibly considering how rock solid we have been defensively over the past couple of years.

QUOTE (Nixon @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 10:03 AM)
Is anyone else watching Iraq v Spain this morning? Iraq has lined up with 6 defenders. hahahahha.

Well it seems to have worked if they were aiming to draw.

David Villa scored in the 55th for Spain but that was it.

Spain wins 1-0. I expected that score to be a lot more lopsided.

I guess Iraq did too. Alaa, their forward, looked pretty good. I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing in Europe sometime soon. Villa is now the #2 goal scorer for Spain behind Raul. Next up is South Africa on Saturday. Let's see how they do this afternoon against New Zealand. I'm sure both teams will be looking to bounce back.

South Africa beat New Zealand 2-0

Also, Bahrain beat Uzbekistan 1-0 and Saudi Arabia and North Korea tied at 0-0 which means North Korea qualifies for the World Cup and Bahrain and Saudi Arabia will play each other for the right to play New Zealand for the right to go to the World Cup

QUOTE (Nixon @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 05:13 PM)
Iran has also been eliminated from the WC. When do the euro matches start again? August? I don't think the dutch play again until early September, really want to get a better look at that team.

Without looking it up, the Dutch may have already qualified, so you may not get to see their full team at 100% in those matches.

But ya it is August/September and i'll say there are some potential very interesting scenarios setting up in those tables right now.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 08:42 AM)
Without looking it up, the Dutch may have already qualified, so you may not get to see their full team at 100% in those matches.

But ya it is August/September and i'll say there are some potential very interesting scenarios setting up in those tables right now.

Yeah they have. I'd still like to get a looksie at the team.

US line up looks much better for this match against Brazil. Let's go USA.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 10:33 AM)
I'm on the Fire Bob Bradley Bandwagon if Beasley starts another meaningful game after today. Beasley is absolute trash.

He's good as an attacking midfielder, but having him used as a back or defending middie is the absolute wrong way to use him (as Bradley's been doing lately) and that is why he has looked poor.

Why the f*** can't we get through a tournament game without getting a f***ing red card.

3-0 now. On the verge of becoming embarrassing.

They can't seem to finish anything. We need to develop some finishers. Hopefully Altidore can develop into one and doesnt become another Eddie Johnson.