Official Soccer Thread

Man the US played like garbage for 70+ minutes in San Salvador tonight, but pulled off a 2 goal comeback and had some awesome chances for a 3-2 winner. I wanted fan shots after Hejduk tied it. Those fans were insane all game, I wanted to see their reactions to blowing what they thought was a sure fire win.

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 28, 2009 -> 11:12 PM)
I hate the way the US plays offensively.

The last 20 minutes is how they should be playing the entire game.

Altidore needs to play more.

Sucks that Altidore isnt playing more for his club team. Him not playing is probably costing him minutes with the national team.

Couldnt believe there wasnt a corner after Ching's chance in the final moments of injury time.

El Salvador really tried to sit on that lead, especially when it was 2-1. They let us just walk to ball up every time, it was really only a matter of time before that second goal came.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 28, 2009 -> 10:09 PM)
Man the US played like garbage for 70+ minutes in San Salvador tonight, but pulled off a 2 goal comeback and had some awesome chances for a 3-2 winner. I wanted fan shots after Hejduk tied it. Those fans were insane all game, I wanted to see their reactions to blowing what they thought was a sure fire win.

Totally, when El Salvador went up 2-0, all they were showing was how crazy the fans were and ridiculous the atomsphere at the game was. I would have loved to see the looks just ten minutes later, when their dream victory went up in smoke.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 28, 2009 -> 10:45 PM)
Sucks that Altidore isnt playing more for his club team. Him not playing is probably costing him minutes with the national team.

Yeah, I love watching him play but he was pretty sloppy on the ball tonight. The goal was nice, but an easy finish. He did set up Ching for a great chance after it was tied as well, but overall he didn't thrill me. Part of that was probably because he was adjusting to the game as a sub, but he didn't get to show off his one-on-one skills at all.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 28, 2009 -> 04:50 PM)
I'm getting pretty excited for this Costa Rica/Mexico match on Telemundo. Hopefully CR can pull the big upset and we can watch the Mexican team start their demise.

The US and Mexico will move on to the World Cup where they both will underperform as usual...

There is something about the US defense that always keeps me on edge. Even when they are far more talented they still seem to give up a few great opportunities.

US should be up more with the missed chances, I really like Altidore, I feel he completely changes the complexion of the US team.

US really needs a facilitator for their offense, I know Donovan is supposed to play that role but he just has way to many bad touches.

Serbia beat Sweden today 2:0 in a friendly in Beograd. Dominated the game for the most part while resting a few regulars. Very happy with 2 wins in 1 week against quality teams in Romania and Sweden.

A few names people will be seeing in major European leagues soon: Milos Krasic (CSKA Moscow) and Milan Jovanovic (Standard Liege).

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 08:43 AM)
Bolivia beat Argentina 6-1 yesterday in a qualifying match! Wtf?

I was watching the Fox Soccer Report last night and they said that Argentina arrived in Bolivia just 2 hours before the game started. With the altitude in Bolivia, thats just insane/dumb to arrived that soon before kickoff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Impressive lack of composure by Chelsea after conceding an incredible goal for Barcelona. Barca was down 1-0 and a man down (on a terrible red card call) and scored in the 3rd minute of injury time to qualify for the final. Chelsea damn near assaulted the ref on nothing questionable, embarrassing.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 6, 2009 -> 11:34 AM)
Impressive lack of composure by Chelsea after conceding an incredible goal for Barcelona. Barca was down 1-0 and a man down (on a terrible red card call) and scored in the 3rd minute of injury time to qualify for the final. Chelsea damn near assaulted the ref on nothing questionable, embarrassing.

Michael Ballack is a piece of s***. Go ManU in the final!

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ May 6, 2009 -> 11:50 AM)
Cristiano is an even bigger douche, though I respect his talent. With that said, I hope AC Milan or Roma handles any one of these guys.

Ya, he's a douche, but he's probably a top 3 player in the world right now. His 2 goals yesterday were absolutely amazing.