Official Soccer Thread

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 03:02 PM)
I'm so juiced for this one.

Also, will Tevez be dressed for Man-U on Sunday?

I don't think so. IIRC the EPL lawyers are still to sign off on the deal (although they may have done that recently).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 07:32 AM)
Well him and David Villa will certainly make an interesting strike duo.

I hope people will finally see he's better than Peter Crouch. But you're absolutely right, that is quite the duo. Zigic is huge, great with the head, has amazing tough for a big man, and Villa is the fast little assassin. Can't wait to see them together. They could end up being a better duo than Torres/Crouch. :ph34r:

Unbelievable set piece by Gerrard in the 87th minute to seal a 2-1 victory for Liverpool. Torres is really fun to watch when he gets the ball -- he had some great touches. Ryan Babel also looked very good as a late sub.

EDIT: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2qkqy_ge...ton-villa_sport

Edited by CWSGuy406

Yeah, that's perfect.

Anybody know anything about the Championship this year? I'm sort of a Cardiff City fan and after leading about 1/3 of the way through they finished just outside the top half. Anybody know if they are favored/who is favored to earn promotion this year?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 01:55 PM)
Unbelievable set piece by Gerrard in the 87th minute to seal a 2-1 victory for Liverpool. Torres is really fun to watch when he gets the ball -- he had some great touches. Ryan Babel also looked very good as a late sub.

EDIT: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2qkqy_ge...ton-villa_sport

GO REDS!

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 11:50 AM)
West Ham looked like piss in there game so I'm sure somewhere Dbaho is crying :lol:

Yeah I was all pumped up and everything, and we came out with a lethargic performance like that. :crying

Still it's only 1 game though, and it's good to see Dean Ashton finally back. We badly need Scott Parker to get fit, we got overrun big time in the center of midfield last night.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 08:06 AM)
Yeah, that's perfect.

Anybody know anything about the Championship this year? I'm sort of a Cardiff City fan and after leading about 1/3 of the way through they finished just outside the top half. Anybody know if they are favored/who is favored to earn promotion this year?

Well they sold Michael Chopra to Sunderland for $5M (and he scored the winner in the 93th minner against Tottenham), so I don't know if they'll get promoted.

Charlton will go straight back up for mine. Pardew has bought well mainly from the Darren Bent transfer fee. Sheffield United would like their chances of bouncing back straght up, while teams such as Coventry, Wolves, West Bromwich Albion and Watford will be there around the mark.

Can someone explain to me how the promotion stuff works. If you finish out of the top half that means you get demoted, yet you still play the same teams (but are you like unable to compete for the championship or something)?

On a sidenote, Man U is f***ing dominating yet its still 0-0. Redding seems like they've had the ball for maybe 5 minutes (and the game is in the 82nd minute).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 11:51 AM)
Can someone explain to me how the promotion stuff works. If you finish out of the top half that means you get demoted, yet you still play the same teams (but are you like unable to compete for the championship or something)?

The bottom 3-4 teams get moved down to the lower league. In the Premier League it's 3 teams that move down, but it's more in others.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 02:47 PM)
The bottom 3-4 teams get moved down to the lower league. In the Premier League it's 3 teams that move down, but it's more in others.

As far as I know, all the major leagues have 3 up and 3 down. EPL has 3, Ligue 1 ha 3, La Liga has 3, Bundesliga has 3, and Serie A has 3. Some have a playoff between the 3/4 teams and some have an automatic relegation/promotion if they are within/above a certain amount of points. It's 10 in most leagues.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 05:03 PM)
Redding gets the tie. Don't ask me how, but they did.

The possession percentage must've been 70-30 in favor of Man-U. Man-U even played a man up because a Reading player got a red card, and they still couldn't dent the back of the net.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 13, 2007 -> 09:34 AM)
Holy crap, didn't watch the ManU/Reading game but I just saw that Rooney broke his foot. http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=afp-...p&type=lgns

Very lucky they have an able replacement in Tevez.

Apparently Man U dominated, but just couldn't score. Sounds like Arsenal of last season really.

Chelsea beat B-Ham 3-2. Kapo for B-Ham scored the hardest shot I've ever seen. Peter Cech didn't even move. Check it out if you can (it'll be on youtube somewhere).

Well over the weekend I was able to catch 3 out of the top 4 (only Chelsea did not appear on US television) and this year should be really interesting. Man U dominated the entire match but just could not find the back of the net, Reading just played a defensive shell while Man U just took opportunity after opportunity. Reading had a few opportunities, Shorey looks good (they said some crazy stat like he was the first English national player for Reading in 100 years), but most times when you play that way you are not going to pull off a draw. Tevez sat, and Nani did not play until replacing Rooney, so it should be interesting how those to mesh with Ronaldo. Man U will suffer with Rooney gone (who is like a grinder but extremely talented as well) but Nani and Tevez will make them stay strong.

Arsenal looked good, outside of a terrible play by their goalie. It was within the first 2 minutes and just a bad touch gave the other side an easy goal. Arsenal played like Man U for most of the match, clearly having control, but unable to find the back of the net. They scored 2 goals in the final 8 minutes of regulation ( I think like the 83rd and 91st) minute to take the victory, which was important because they were playing one of the lower tiered EPL teams. Cesc Fabregas is awesome, my favorite Arsenal player, and he clearly seems to be clicking with Van Persie who looked to be in good form after his injury last year.

Liverpool I believe will finish in the top 3 this year, maybe even taking the EPL cup. They have one of the top defensive teams (if not the best) and have added some impact scorers. Torres looks good, he was involved in a lot of the action and should provide an interesting striking force. Its really hard to talk about the match without mentioning the shot by Gerrard. It was an impeccable set piece in which he went over the wall and the ball broke back into the upper right corner (looked like a slider whiping over the heads of the defenders and then catching the top part of the goal). Gerrard is like the vice captain of the English National team and he looked really good, could take the scoring title.

Anyways thats my recap, I guess when I talk about soccer I start writing like the English announcers talk.

Good to hear about Shorey Badger. West Ham have been interested in him for a while, and if Reading can sign a replacement, they'll sell him to us because he won't sign a new contract with Reading.

I too like Liverpool's chances of breaking into the top 2. I was very impressed with Babel when he came on. It all depends on Torres' impact in terms of how many goals he can score, because that's always been Liverpool's problem, a pure goalscorer.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 13, 2007 -> 10:36 PM)
I too like Liverpool's chances of breaking into the top 2. I was very impressed with Babel when he came on. It all depends on Torres' impact in terms of how many goals he can score, because that's always been Liverpool's problem, a pure goalscorer.

Babel had an absolute rocket of a shot that was saved by the Villa keeper. I agree that he looked good in his short stint.

Torres also looked really good. He's very confident with the ball and had some great touches. He made an awesome move in the first half getting around two defenders and almost sneaking one in by the far-side post. It also appears that he's not afraid to play a more physical game (isn't the EPL considered a more 'physical' league than the LFP Primera?).