Official Soccer Thread

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I just watched the video of Beckham's introduction to the Galaxy. Confetti? Seriously? The best was when he said "For me, the most important thing is my family. The 2nd thing is the foot...is the soccer."

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 04:16 PM)
Wow, I just watched the video of Beckham's introduction to the Galaxy. Confetti? Seriously? The best was when he said "For me, the most important thing is my family. The 2nd thing is the foot...is the soccer."

Lol i loved it when he said that and then he was like, "I'm gonna have to get used to that."

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 08:46 PM)
So is Carlos Tevez going to Man U for two years on a loan? I find that loan system very odd by the way, especially in this case -- one of West Ham's best players going to a team in the same 'league'?

Everything I have read says that Man U wants to buy him outright, and not to take him on a loan. Supposedly he's already reached a verbal agreement.

As far as the loan system, most will tell you it is a very imperfect system. There can be free loans and there can be paid loans. Basically it's just a player rental. And usually when you see paid loans, it's between 2 premier league clubs. Other loans don't make much of a deal, especially id an EPL team loans a player to one of the championship leagues. Most of the time, you'll see reserve players being sent out on loan. The entire Tevez situation has been controversial since the day he signed with West Ham.

On another note, Liverpool is improving a lot. They've added Benayoun, Torres, Voronin, and now Babel.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 14, 2007 -> 02:18 AM)
As far as the loan system, most will tell you it is a very imperfect system.

On initial glance, that's what I seem to think. It just seems to me like it's a system that could cause some problems, i.e. some "under the table" type agreements.

Tevez is a striker, right? I'm still learning all the different formations, but isn't Man U pretty well-stocked up front with Saha and Rooney?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 09:28 PM)
On initial glance, that's what I seem to think. It just seems to me like it's a system that could cause some problems, i.e. some "under the table" type agreements.

Tevez is a striker, right? I'm still learning all the different formations, but isn't Man U pretty well-stocked up front with Saha and Rooney?

Yes, Tevez is a striker. And yes, Man U is pretty set up front with Saha and Rooney. They also have Solksjaer and Alan Smith. Adding Tevez would likely put Saha on the bench, or on another team.

But then again, football is much different in the way teams set their rosters. The big clubs just go out and get all the best guys they can. Look at Chelsea as a prime example. They have a ton of really good midfielders. Makalele, Essien, Lampard, Ballack, Cole, Sidwell, Malouda, Robben, and Wright-Phillips. Hell, at one point, they had Shevchenko, Drogba, Crespo, and Kalou on the same team.

Edited by SoxFan1

Anybody know anything about the English Premier League teams' online access programs like MUTV and LFCTV? Are these at all similar to MLB.TV in that I can see live games? My options are limited at school, so I'm trying to figure out a way to actually keep track of the Premiership this season.

This Fox Sports Soccer Channel definitely has been worth the investment. Let me just say two non-related things -- Kaka is f***ing amazing, and I think Fernando Torres is going to be unbelievable with LFC.

Also, any answer to my question about about that LFCTV or MUTV?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 02:55 AM)
This Fox Sports Soccer Channel definitely has been worth the investment. Let me just say two non-related things -- Kaka is f***ing amazing, and I think Fernando Torres is going to be unbelievable with LFC.

Also, any answer to my question about about that LFCTV or MUTV?

yes, arsenal has ATVO, where you can watch all of their matches live and then they have replays of other matches from the previous year.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 10:15 PM)
Holy hell. The Fire signed Paulo Wanchope. f***ing solid.

MLS and the Fire know they can't have the Chicago market as one of the worst teams in the league. Blanco and Wanchope is a damn solid MLS duo.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 05:31 PM)
MLS and the Fire know they can't have the Chicago market as one of the worst teams in the league. Blanco and Wanchope is a damn solid MLS duo.

Get me Jay Jay Okocha too, and maybe Savo Milosevic...and I'll watch every game.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 08:35 PM)
Get me Jay Jay Okocha too, and maybe Savo Milosevic...and I'll watch every game.

Okocha not only has one of the coolest names, but is really fun to watch. I would always get him on my FIFA (video game) teams.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 07:06 PM)
Okocha not only has one of the coolest names, but is really fun to watch. I would always get him on my FIFA (video game) teams.

Man, he's been one of my favorites for a while. He's the reason I became a Bolton fan.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 11:58 AM)
So the Community Shield is this Sunday. I take it it's pretty much a glorified 'friendly', yes? It'll still be fun to see it live, Man-U vs Chelsea.

Yeah pretty much, although these 2 are firm rivals now for the obvious reasons, so it's always a fairly spiteful affair.

Carlos Tevez's move to Man United has been confirmed now subject to Premier League approval, so he could take some part.

I'm most looking forward to seeing Nani and Anderson for Man United, argubly the 2 best young creative attacking midfielders in the world.

So the Community Shield was yesterday -- Chelsea clearly thinks a lot of the trophy, as none of Drogba, Shevchenko (sp?) or Terry started (Terry might be injured, although he was listed as a possible substitute). Man U won in PKs. Malouda scored a pretty neat goal for Chelsea, fighting off Rio Ferdinand in the box.

On another board that I frequent, I saw this posted about Arsenal's fortunes for this season, thought it was spot on;

The phrase “He’s not really a replacement for Thierry Henry though is he” will be uttered by media pundits and goner supporters at least 1.372 million times.

Arsenal supporters on BF will criticise the tactics of an opposition team, if only they wouldn’t use that pesky defence stuff.

Arsenal will set a premier league record by gaining 97% of possession in a league match. They’ll lose the match to a late Giles Barnes goal, in Derbys fourth touch of the match.

The EPL kicks off this weekend as well. I have the West Ham vs. Man City game on live at 11:55p.m Sat Night down here, and it'll be an interesting game just to see all of the new faces for both teams. Sunderland vs. Tottenham kicks off the season in the early fixture.