Official Soccer Thread

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 23, 2007 -> 04:14 PM)
F*** ESPN for not having the Liverpool/Milan match in high-def.

1 x 0 Milan! YAY! Inzaghi.

Let's go Milan. English soccer sucks...it is so boring andthey are always crossing the ball waiting for somebody to head it into the net. I still don't know why Crouch is a superstar. I believe that Yao Ming would be a striker in the English league.

QUOTE(rafacosta @ May 23, 2007 -> 02:36 PM)

Let's go Milan. English soccer sucks...it is so boring andthey are always crossing the ball waiting for somebody to head it into the net. I still don't know why Crouch is a superstar. I believe that Yao Ming would be a striker in the English league.

way too generalize all english teams, go watch arsenal and tell me if they cross all the time.

QUOTE(rafacosta @ May 23, 2007 -> 02:36 PM)

So having 3 out of the last 4 teams in Europe = sucking. Ronaldo is so boring, so is Chelsea, Manu and the rest.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ May 23, 2007 -> 04:05 PM)
Well, I'm glad AC Milan won. That means my team, Red Star Belgrade, was knocked out by the eventual champs. That makes me feel much better.

Yeah, sadly the U.S. being the only team not to lose to Italy in the WC didn't make me feel better. I Hate Italian teams!

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 23, 2007 -> 07:27 PM)
So having 3 out of the last 4 teams in Europe = sucking. Ronaldo is so boring, so is Chelsea, Manu and the rest.

Well, the team with the best player won. Kaka is the best player (arguably the best in the world) and he made the difference. He suffered the foul for the first goal and give the pass to the second one. Also, he tortured Man United in the quarterfinals. My point is english style of play is boring and does not win championships. How many world cup England has it? One and it was played in their home town. Teams with Brazilian (or South American) style of play wins champtionships. See Barcelona (last year) and AC Milan (this year). Liverpool won in 2005 in the penalty kicks after being losing 3x0 to Milan, which I can say that Milan lost it t Liverpool.

I hpe you know what Brazilian style of play means...if you don't maybe you should watch some tournments besides EPL.

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 10:04 AM)
Looks like Tevez might actually stay at West Ham, and it also seems that Sam Allardyce is going to completely reconstruct that Newcastle squad.

I certainly hope so. He showed what he's capable of over the final 10 games. We've already signed Scott Parker from Newcastle while Reo - Coker is on the outs to Aston Villa.

The arbitration panel is deciding today whether to open up the Tevez punishment as well. Sheffield United want re-instatement to the Premier League and for West Ham to be relegated.

I'd say there's under a 10% chance of that happening though, and the Premier League agree.

And what's been your take on the whole England vs. Serbia fiasco at the U21 Champs Soxfan1? Certainly an interesting situation (not a good one though).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 08:58 AM)
I certainly hope so. He showed what he's capable of over the final 10 games. We've already signed Scott Parker from Newcastle while Reo - Coker is on the outs to Aston Villa.

The arbitration panel is deciding today whether to open up the Tevez punishment as well. Sheffield United want re-instatement to the Premier League and for West Ham to be relegated.

I'd say there's under a 10% chance of that happening though, and the Premier League agree.

And what's been your take on the whole England vs. Serbia fiasco at the U21 Champs Soxfan1? Certainly an interesting situation (not a good one though).

It's all BS. BBC is making such a big deal out of this that it's sickening.

England's 2nd goal came on a play where one of Serbia's defenders was on the ground and the English side took advantage and scored, instead of kicking the ball out. From the commentary I saw, Rajkovic had been laying on the ground at least 2 minutes. Then, there was a skirmish between the teams following the goal. Then the Serbian fans started chanting racist remarks.

First off, shame on the referee and shame on England. For the country that preaches fair play, they sure know when to take advantage of a team when a man is down. That is complete BS. Derbyshire's celebration after the goal was just classless as well and his goal should have been pulled back and he should have been carded. This is unacceptable in international play.

2nd, if Serbia would have scored the same way, with an English player down, BBC, England, Queen Elizabeth, and the rest of the fans in the stadium would have thrown a huge fit, especially considering the fact(s) that A.) Serbia had it's entire 2nd team in, B.) The celebration deserved a swift kick in the face, and C.) it would have possibly cost England a shot at the Semi-Finals.

This whole incident pisses me off so much. Anything England could do to make Serbia the bad guys is what's happening. No mention of the "fair play" that England loves. No mention of the celebration. Nope, just Serbia's racist fans. GMAB.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 03:39 PM)
It's all BS. BBC is making such a big deal out of this that it's sickening.

England's 2nd goal came on a play where one of Serbia's defenders was on the ground and the English side took advantage and scored, instead of kicking the ball out. From the commentary I saw, Rajkovic had been laying on the ground at least 2 minutes. Then, there was a skirmish between the teams following the goal. Then the Serbian fans started chanting racist remarks.

First off, shame on the referee and shame on England. For the country that preaches fair play, they sure know when to take advantage of a team when a man is down. That is complete BS. Derbyshire's celebration after the goal was just classless as well and his goal should have been pulled back and he should have been carded. This is unacceptable in international play.

2nd, if Serbia would have scored the same way, with an English player down, BBC, England, Queen Elizabeth, and the rest of the fans in the stadium would have thrown a huge fit, especially considering the fact(s) that A.) Serbia had it's entire 2nd team in, B.) The celebration deserved a swift kick in the face, and C.) it would have possibly cost England a shot at the Semi-Finals.

This whole incident pisses me off so much. Anything England could do to make Serbia the bad guys is what's happening. No mention of the "fair play" that England loves. No mention of the celebration. Nope, just Serbia's racist fans. GMAB.

Really I think the new rule they introduced where the referee decides whether a player is really injured or not, and therefore decides whether for play to continue, is really going to cause a lot of controversy, like it has here and into the future.

I mean sure players fake it, but then situations such as this occur and it really blows up.

Justice is served. England loses 13-12 on PK's to the Netherlands and Serbia advances with the 2-0 win against Belgium. Should be a phenomenal final. And I'd love nothing more than for England to miss out on the Olympics by losing to Portugal.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 06:47 PM)
Justice is served. England loses 13-12 on PK's to the Netherlands and Serbia advances with the 2-0 win against Belgium. Should be a phenomenal final. And I'd love nothing more than for England to miss out on the Olympics by losing to Portugal.

Whoops, it turned out to be Italy/Portugal for the Olympiuc match-up, and Italy prevailed on PK's. Serbia looks to have its tean at full strength, except for Rajkovic, who was hurt in the England game, against the Netherlands for the final on Saturday. NED's captain Ron Vlaar will be out due to injury as well.

• 3 weeks later...

So I just ordered the Fox Sports package on Comcast, mainly to see the Premiership games. I'm a total soccer newb, but how does this work -- are they 'in season' right now? Are the games that Fox shows live? Any and all information would be appreciated. I'd love to be able to follow the Premiership and eventually be able to latch onto one team, but if the games aren't live, I figure that's going to be tough. Any good blogs/message boards I can follow?

As I said -- any and all information would be appreciated.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 07:04 PM)
So I just ordered the Fox Sports package on Comcast, mainly to see the Premiership games. I'm a total soccer newb, but how does this work -- are they 'in season' right now? Are the games that Fox shows live? Any and all information would be appreciated. I'd love to be able to follow the Premiership and eventually be able to latch onto one team, but if the games aren't live, I figure that's going to be tough. Any good blogs/message boards I can follow?

As I said -- any and all information would be appreciated.

Premiership is in the offseason for about another month -- until August 11, to be exact. Pretty soon, Premiership sides will play some friendlies (exhibitions to us on this side of the pond) to get ready for their long season ahead.

Have you chosen your side yet? DBAHO swears by West Ham, while I swear at Tottenham.

There are a lot of Big Four followers -- and of course, Sox Fan 1 will cheer for any side with a couple of Serbs!

Following the matches is a lot more fun than a lot of folks would have you believe as well. It's an exciting game once you learn some of the nuances.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Jul 12, 2007 -> 12:37 AM)
Premiership is in the offseason for about another month -- until August 11, to be exact. Pretty soon, Premiership sides will play some friendlies (exhibitions to us on this side of the pond) to get ready for their long season ahead.

Have you chosen your side yet? DBAHO swears by West Ham, while I swear at Tottenham.

There are a lot of Big Four followers -- and of course, Sox Fan 1 will cheer for any side with a couple of Serbs!

Following the matches is a lot more fun than a lot of folks would have you believe as well. It's an exciting game once you learn some of the nuances.

Is there any way to follow the Premiership online? Like, does English soccer have their own version of MLB.tv or NHL Radio?

If you were to put to a gun to my head right now to choose a side, I'd say Liverpool just because I go gaga over Gerrard. But I feel like that would be like an Englishman picking a team to follow in MLB and choosing the Yankees. As of right now I'm in the 'watching' stage and I'm enjoying that. I love watching Christiano Ronaldo with the ball, although I also understand he's kind of a puss and goes down a little to easy.

My thoughts are if you are going to pick a team, don't pick one of the big 4. It's more satisfying if you pick a team just outside of it, and if they do well, it's better (if you get that train of thought).

However if you were going to pick a big 4 team, Liverpool would probably be one of the better choices. And they should contend this season after signing Fernando Torres for $20M.

I don't think you can watch games on-line. In America I know you can watch 4 games a week live on Setanta Sports (if you are able to access that).

If you were going to support a team with an American Connection, maybe Fulham? They have Carlos Bocanegra and Clint Dempsey on the books.

When you say a "Big 4" team, I assume you're talking about Arsenal, Chelsea, Manny U and Liverpool?

I'm also taking it that this is a tough sport to follow from America because, for the most part, you can't see the games live (well, most of them)? That's sort of a bummer...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 12, 2007 -> 11:45 AM)
When you say a "Big 4" team, I assume you're talking about Arsenal, Chelsea, Manny U and Liverpool?

I'm also taking it that this is a tough sport to follow from America because, for the most part, you can't see the games live (well, most of them)? That's sort of a bummer...

Yeah. Then you have the next tier of teams in Tottenham, Newcastle, Everton, West Ham, Man City and Aston Villa.

I'd probably pick one of those, if you were going to choose a team outside the big 4. All have sizeable transfer budgets and European Aspirations (especially Tottenham, who want to crack into the top 4 places and get a Champions League spot).

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 07:37 PM)

Uuum, Bolton??? I like ManU because of Vidic though, so you're partially right. :lol:

And if you have DirecTV or any sort of satellite network and you want to watch a lot of EPL, make sure to get Setanta Sports. They have tons of games on, and you get a lot of international matches, UEFA tournaments, etc. all live. It costs about $12 a month for me, but well worth it.

Also, if you get the Sports Package, you will get GolTV (great for Spanish and Italian football) and Fox Soccer Network which has mostly EPL games.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 07:58 PM)
Is there any way to follow the Premiership online? Like, does English soccer have their own version of MLB.tv or NHL Radio?

If you were to put to a gun to my head right now to choose a side, I'd say Liverpool just because I go gaga over Gerrard. But I feel like that would be like an Englishman picking a team to follow in MLB and choosing the Yankees. As of right now I'm in the 'watching' stage and I'm enjoying that. I love watching Christiano Ronaldo with the ball, although I also understand he's kind of a puss and goes down a little to easy.

I think that if I were to have chosen of my own accord, I probably would have chosen City. But the guy who turned me on to the game many years ago was a Lilywhite supporter, and the rest is misery.. er, history.

Edited to say that I have no idea why I quoted CWSGuy and not DBAHO -- other than sheer ineptitude. Also, the English consider the South American diving to be cheating. IIRC, the English and the Yanks are the nations least likely to dive and dissent, along with the Eastern Europeans.

Edited by Mplssoxfan

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 10:11 PM)
IIRC, the English and the Yanks are the nations least likely to dive and dissent, along with the Eastern Europeans.

I agree about the diving, but England and the US unlikely to dissent? I'll humbly disagree with that one. And as far as diving, Italy is right up there in that category, although they are kind of Midwest Europe, if you will. :lol: