Official Soccer Thread

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 04:02 PM)
USA vs. Costa Rica tonight in San Jose, CR. Then USA vs. Honduras here in Chicago, I'm trying my hardest to get to that game

I just wish the game didn't start at 10.

US hasn't won in Costa Rica in a while IIRC. The stands are pretty much on the field and there is a fence between them. Very, very hostile environment. I'll be happy if they can get a draw.

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 05:08 PM)
I just wish the game didn't start at 10.

US hasn't won in Costa Rica in a while IIRC. The stands are pretty much on the field and there is a fence between them. Very, very hostile environment. I'll be happy if they can get a draw.

And the field at Saprissa is freaking field turf.

A draw would be like a win. Four points in the next two will be golden and basically assure a trip to South Africa.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 10:16 PM)
I can't believe no one mentioned how Kaka is being transferred to Real Madrid for I think 92 mil.

I wasn't aware that anything was official. I heard Chelsea was also in the mix. They're preparing an insane spending spree this summer. http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...a-14324529.html

Well that wasnt pretty.

1. Wynne sucks. That couldnt mark the dead guy from Weekend at Bernie's.

2. That first goal shouldnt have happened. Couldnt even clear the ball from the back line which seems to happen a lot. And as usual, Beasley was in the mix.

3. We've been hearing how Onewyu wants out of Belgium since WC06. I know he's big but damn he is slow. Especially looked slow on the turf tonight during the second goal.

4. A win Saturday and we can forget about this game. A win is huge now since the following game will be at Azteca.

I expect we'll be seeing a lot more of Adu this Saturday now that Bradley and Sacha is out.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 02:37 AM)

2. That first goal shouldnt have happened. Couldnt even clear the ball from the back line which seems to happen a lot. And as usual, Beasley was in the mix.

I agree about Wynne. I have no idea how he got near the MNT.

I don't understand at all how Bradley thinks Beasley can play D. He's fast and works hard, but he is not experienced with or comfortable marking international caliber forwards. It's such a waste because they really need Beasley when they attack.

The 3rd goal shouldn't have happened either. Bocanegra simply didn't move. I was yelling at him to move when it got sent on the wing and he didn't even step up to guard the goal scorer. I couldn't watch anymore after that. That was absolutely disheartening.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 03:37 AM)
Well that wasnt pretty.

3. We've been hearing how Onewyu wants out of Belgium since WC06. I know he's big but damn he is slow. Especially looked slow on the turf tonight during the second goal.

4. A win Saturday and we can forget about this game. A win is huge now since the following game will be at Azteca.

I expect we'll be seeing a lot more of Adu this Saturday now that Bradley and Sacha is out.

Whats wrong with Kljestan?

I agree about Wynne. I only watched the first half, but the only one who looked good to me was Torres. I loved Jozy getting the start but where was he? It wasn't all his fault that they couldn't get the ball to him but he was invisible. Agreed on Beasley. He needs to be kept at midfield, he is not a defender.

Disappointing but not completely unexpected. A win saturday and they are fine.

Serbia wins 1:0 on a 7th minute PK by Milijas. We had TONS of great chances in the 2nd half to pile on, but couldn't capitalize. Milos Krasic will be a big name VERY soon. He looked like Cristiano Ronaldo out there tonight sprinting by the defense and creating endless opportunities. We're at the Faroe Islands on Wednesday.

Huge win today. Dempsey gets too cute when its not needed that leads to the opening goal. After that though it was just a matter of time before the US scored a couple of goals. Really pushed the action from about the 20 minute mark until the second goal was scored.

Mexico lost once again. Going to be real tough next match for the US with Mexico basically playing for their lives. As if playing in Azteca isnt hard enough.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 08:12 PM)
Connor Casey, seriously. Starting. Come on now.

He is clearly limited talent wise, but I didn't think he did all the poorly. With Ching out the US really doesn't have much in the way of options up front though. Charlie Davies was on the roster and I love him, but he didn't get in the action.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 09:59 PM)
Huge win today. Dempsey gets too cute when its not needed that leads to the opening goal. After that though it was just a matter of time before the US scored a couple of goals. Really pushed the action from about the 20 minute mark until the second goal was scored.

Mexico lost once again. Going to be real tough next match for the US with Mexico basically playing for their lives. As if playing in Azteca isnt hard enough.

Dempsey does get too fancy sometimes, but you can tell he is a lot better than most of what the US has to work with.

I watched the Mexico game on Telemundo after the US game was over and it's amazing how poor that team looks. They don't look anything like any Mexico team I can remember. They are in some serious trouble if they lose in Azteca in August.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Jun 7, 2009 -> 12:16 AM)
Being at that game was one of the greatest experiences of my life, great win!

Who ever decided to hold that game in Chicago needs to be fired. That game needs to be in a city where it will be a pro American crowd. Whats next, hosting Mexico in Houston?

I watched from the point when Mexico tied the score til the end. Mexico looks horrible and they look so lost out there its not even funny. If there is ever a time to win a game in Mexico, its in August.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 7, 2009 -> 01:24 AM)
Who ever decided to hold that game in Chicago needs to be fired. That game needs to be in a city where it will be a pro American crowd. Whats next, hosting Mexico in Houston?

I watched from the point when Mexico tied the score til the end. Mexico looks horrible and they look so lost out there its not even funny. If there is ever a time to win a game in Mexico, its in August.

I agree, but I'm glad that I was able to be there

Living in Tijuana,I was able to see first hand the dissapointment and anger from fans and the press against the Mexican National Team.

I didn't watch the game because I really don't care for soccer but I hear they played horribly.For the sake of the players,they can't lose to Team USA in Mexico City because Mexican players could get lynched,I s*** you not...

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Jun 7, 2009 -> 03:06 PM)

I bet it was a blast.

I went to 2 Olympic Qualifiers last March and it was awesome. The stadium was 95% empty but I sat in a fun section. The first game was Panama vs Honduras and Honduras scored in the 90th minute and the fans went nuts. I was in that section and the fans were just throwing beer in the air. The second was the US vs Cuba and it was fun too. Funny thing was the Cuban goalie was having conversations with some of the Cuban fans while the ball was on the other side of the field. That night, he and a few others defected to Miami.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Jun 7, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)

Being there was definitely awesome. I gotta say that when Honduras scored that first goal, the stadium was shaking and I think it was louder than I have ever heard at a Bears game before.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 12:13 PM)
Being there was definitely awesome. I gotta say that when Honduras scored that first goal, the stadium was shaking and I think it was louder than I have ever heard at a Bears game before.

Agreed, and I was at the Bears vs. Saints NFC champ game

Im not sure where you could hold games and get 50k+. Maybe Seattle, I know they really support the Sounders, but other than that most large markets are going to have a substantial population that supports the other team.

I personally would rather the US played in front of 50k fans than played in front of 10k, there were still seats for Saturday's game on Thursday night, so it wasnt that the Honduras fans bought tickets US fans wanted, it was that the US fans just didnt buy that many tickets.

Although supposedly the US has bought the most tickets for the South Africa World Cup.

I was able to go to an England versus US friendly at Solider field a few years back. Walking on the first level towards my seats, I felt like I was at a premiership stadium in Europe. They had england banners hanging on every square inch of space they could get it on. They had flags and it was a sea of white and red. The chants were pretty good as well. It was an amazing event to see.

Saturday's game wasn't sold out, there were open areas in the corners of the upper deck, announced attendance was 55k, which is about 6k less than capacity, so tickets were available to anyone who wanted to go. With the crowd being at least 75% pro-Honduras, that means there were less than 15,000 USA fans, which is pretty low for a city the size of Chicago.