Official Soccer Thread

Canada got a screw job against Honduras today. Honduras got a first half PK because the ref called a hand ball on a Canadian defender, but the replays show it hit his head. The defender should know better than to have his hands in the air. They tell you that in youth soccer for the same reason. From there on out Canada had the run of play, but couldn't finish. On the upside, Honduras at Soldier Field for the semis will make for a much better overall atmosphere.

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 07:06 PM)
Canada got a screw job against Honduras today. Honduras got a first half PK because the ref called a hand ball on a Canadian defender, but the replays show it hit his head. The defender should know better than to have his hands in the air. They tell you that in youth soccer for the same reason. From there on out Canada had the run of play, but couldn't finish. On the upside, Honduras at Soldier Field for the semis will make for a much better overall atmosphere.

I didnt see the first half but Canada was in the Honduras third for what seemed like the final 30 minutes. Not surprised they couldnt tie it because they have no offense whatsoever but they had some nice looks. I was hoping for a US-Canada semi final though.

The US and Mexico advance to the Gold Cup final on Sunday. Hopefully the game is actually televised. I'd like to see some of our young players as well as Mexico's Gio dos Santos play.

I was gonna go down to the game but I dont feel like driving and paying to see our 'B' team. I'll watch it for sure it ESPN picks it up though.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 09:29 AM)
The US and Mexico advance to the Gold Cup final on Sunday. Hopefully the game is actually televised. I'd like to see some of our young players as well as Mexico's Gio dos Santos play.

I was gonna go down to the game but I dont feel like driving and paying to see our 'B' team. I'll watch it for sure it ESPN picks it up though.

I've just been watching every USA game of the GC in Spanish. I don't understand anything but at least the game is on.

QUOTE (Nokona @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 12:30 PM)
Guys, there's a program called Veetle out there which streams GOL and FSC on your computer in High Quality. It's done by Stanford and is totally free (obviously).

FSC has the final on Sunday.

Hey thanks for that! i was totally in the dark about that site. Now i can catch all my Chelsea games woohoo! You made my day :notworthy

IMO i think the LA fans have a right to be a little upset about the situation, i mean Beckham just keeps going on the news saying that he believes hell be back at Milan in the future and that playing for Milan gives him a better chance at making the England squad, basically totally crapping on the L.A. Galaxy. Then you have a class guy like Landon Donovan complaining about Beckhams dedication to the team. But a situation similair to this has been seen before with Christiano Ronaldo last offseason when Real Madrid tried to scoop him up and he would go out and say that it would be a dream move and blahblahblah, the Man Utd. fans hated it but for the most part seemed to forget about it once he scored his first goal. If beckham does amazing things for LA and takes them all the way this year then thatll be the only way that things may possibly be forgiven.... IMO...

Edited by flippedoutpunk

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 12:55 AM)
IMO i think the LA fans have a right to be a little upset about the situation, i mean Beckham just keeps going on the news saying that he believes hell be back at Milan in the future and that playing for Milan gives him a better chance at making the England squad, basically totally crapping on the L.A. Galaxy. Then you have a class guy like Landon Donovan complaining about Beckhams dedication to the team. But a situation similair to this has been seen before with Christiano Ronaldo last offseason when Real Madrid tried to scoop him up and he would go out and say that it would be a dream move and blahblahblah, the Man Utd. fans hated it but for the most part seemed to forget about it once he scored his first goal. If beckham does amazing things for LA and takes them all the way this year then thatll be the only way that things may possibly be forgiven.... IMO...

I mean what LA and the MLS needs to realise though, is that playing for Milan is obviously so much of a higher standard than playing in America with a bunch of players either past their prime or not good enough to play in Europe.

The World Cup is less than a year away and if Beckham's got a chance to make the squad (which certainly seems the case), then of course he is going to want to play with Milan. And Milan's still a pretty prestigous team, so it's not like many people round Beckham's age get to play still with a team like that.

Bit rich of Donovan to say that, when he has deserted the MLS before also.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)
I mean what LA and the MLS needs to realise though, is that playing for Milan is obviously so much of a higher standard than playing in America with a bunch of players either past their prime or not good enough to play in Europe.

The World Cup is less than a year away and if Beckham's got a chance to make the squad (which certainly seems the case), then of course he is going to want to play with Milan. And Milan's still a pretty prestigous team, so it's not like many people round Beckham's age get to play still with a team like that.

Bit rich of Donovan to say that, when he has deserted the MLS before also.

I dont think MLS or the fans would really fault Beckham if he hadnt said how much he wants to play in America and how he wants to make soccer more popular here. He said all the things fans wanted to hear and at the first chance, he tries to strong arm the MLS/LA into letting him go to Milan.

It is so obvious Beckham would rather play a full season in Europe instead of being in the MLS. Maybe he shouldve thought things through a little more.

i have no problem with Becks wanting to play in Europe to impress Fabio Capello into getting him on the world cup squad (Honestly i believe this England squad they have going is really really impressive), but its like what zen said, the problem is that he talked up the move to LA as a huge step for American soccer and it was supposed to bring a lot more attention to the MLS, but to me it seems hes spent the most of his MLS career either injured, or in italy, and its not like the Galaxy are paying him pennies to be there.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 09:08 AM)
So any thoughts on the whole Beckham situation?

Is he in the right or the fans in LA on this one?

The United States should just be banned from talking about or being involved in anything that has to do with soccer. I'm so tired of this s***. That's what they deserve for paying him 250 million thinking he can make it popular in the US. If the Galaxy went out and signed Messi right now, I wouldn't give 2 s***s because the MLS is a joke.

And anyone who is blaming Beckham for "taking up soccer" is ridiculous. What was he supposed to say? That he didn't want to be there and that the United States is retarded for not liking soccer? Give me a break. It was a stupid move by the MLS and by Beckham. But at least Beckham got paid.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)
The United States should just be banned from talking about or being involved in anything that has to do with soccer.

Classy, very classy. Don't be a snob because you have some European heritage, c'mon dude.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 04:00 PM)
Classy, very classy. Don't be a snob because you have some European heritage, c'mon dude.

Has nothing to do with European heritage, this country is soccer challenged.

For being soccer challenged the US national team has done pretty well lately.

I believe that I watched them beat Spain and that their B/C team is in the Concacaf final.

You can say the US is "retarded for not liking soccer", but I dont really think that statement has any basis in fact. Its that the MLS is not the best league in the world, and US fans are not going to shell out money to see the equivalent of minor league soccer. As the teams get better as the US national team gets better, things will change, but right now the US is barely a top 10 team in soccer, whereas in most other major US sports they are easily top 5 in the world (Baseball, Basketball, Football, Hockey) with the US leagues generally being considered the top league.

So my question is should every team that doesnt do as well as the US, also be banned from talking about soccer?

Since 1990 the US has made every World Cup, reaching the quarterfinals in 2002. They have won CONCACAF tournaments, they finished 2nd in the Confederations Cup.

So maybe they arent one of the 7 teams to win a World Cup, but if only those 7 countries can talk about soccer, then why are you in this thread?

Your not Brazilian, Italian, German, Argentinian, Uruguian, French or English.

US soccer is growing whether you want to admit it or not. They may not be the best team yet, but they have a good chance of becoming one of the better teams over time.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 05:03 PM)
For being soccer challenged the US national team has done pretty well lately.

I believe that I watched them beat Spain and that their B/C team is in the Concacaf final.

You can say the US is "retarded for not liking soccer", but I dont really think that statement has any basis in fact. Its that the MLS is not the best league in the world, and US fans are not going to shell out money to see the equivalent of minor league soccer. As the teams get better as the US national team gets better, things will change, but right now the US is barely a top 10 team in soccer, whereas in most other major US sports they are easily top 5 in the world (Baseball, Basketball, Football, Hockey) with the US leagues generally being considered the top league.

So my question is should every team that doesnt do as well as the US, also be banned from talking about soccer?

Since 1990 the US has made every World Cup, reaching the quarterfinals in 2002. They have won CONCACAF tournaments, they finished 2nd in the Confederations Cup.

So maybe they arent one of the 7 teams to win a World Cup, but if only those 7 countries can talk about soccer, then why are you in this thread?

Your not Brazilian, Italian, German, Argentinian, Uruguian, French or English.

US soccer is growing whether you want to admit it or not. They may not be the best team yet, but they have a good chance of becoming one of the better teams over time.

Only the top leagues can talk about soccer or the people from the countries who won the World Cup? I don't recall ever saying that. I do know, however, that the US is probably the only country on Earth where soccer isn't #1. Sorry, it's my opinion. It has less to do with the actual national team than it does everything else that has to do with soccer in the US.

And Yugoslavia had quite a bit of success in the World Cup and in European championships before all the wars occurred, so I don't get your point. My favorite team won the Champions League in 1991 out of Beograd, so ya.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 06:38 PM)
I just dont get what your argument is.

What does it matter if Soccer isnt the #1 sport in the US?

Since he thinks Americans shouldnt talk about soccer, maybe he shouldnt talk about baseball anymore since he wants to claim Serbia..

Soccer isn't #1 in every other country. Not close. Rugby dominates Australia, New Zealand, that area and a few others. Canada loves their hockey. India loves cricket. The Caribbean prefers baseball. Just to name a few. Get over yourself.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)
Soccer isn't #1 in every other country. Not close. Rugby dominates Australia, New Zealand, that area and a few others. Canada loves their hockey. India loves cricket. The Caribbean prefers baseball. Just to name a few. Get over yourself.

Eh I'd say Rugby's actually thr #3 sport in Australia now (behind Australian Rules Football and Soccer which has exploded down here since the last World Cup when we made the 2nd round).

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 04:05 AM)
I dont think MLS or the fans would really fault Beckham if he hadnt said how much he wants to play in America and how he wants to make soccer more popular here. He said all the things fans wanted to hear and at the first chance, he tries to strong arm the MLS/LA into letting him go to Milan.

It is so obvious Beckham would rather play a full season in Europe instead of being in the MLS. Maybe he shouldve thought things through a little more.

Well I don't know if Beckham thought he would ever get another opportunity with a team like Milan when he said those things.

And he moved to LA pretty much for 2 things. The money and to give his wife a better lifestyle.

Just from an outsider's point of view, the LA fans come out looking like idiots in this, and it probably makes players from Europe like Freddie Ljungberg who come to the US think twice if they are potentially going to be treated like this, which is definitely not what the MLS needs.