Official Soccer Thread

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 04:47 PM)
Twice now that Mexico had enough time to have a cigarette before a defender got there, and both resulted in goals.

Typical US bulls***. Bradley goes into bunker mode and prays for the point, instead of taking the attack down the field towards the other end. The minute that US gets a coach who can play attacking football, is the day that they play better. This sit back and let the opposition bombard your goalie never is going to work.

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a team that was desperate to win and a team that played not to lose. But I think we played with more urgency in the 2H when it was still tied.

Really wished there was a better angle on the Davies offside. Was pretty close.

Davies is on his way to being a terror it seems. The guy is very dangerous.

Anyone else notice how often the road team loses if they score an early goal? Seems like the road team just packs it in and hopes to carry that one goal for a win or draw.

Overall congrats to Mexico. They played to win and we didnt for the most part. Hopefully Honduras doesnt win tonight and we can stay a few points off of the 4th place team.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 05:20 PM)
I saw a team that was desperate to win and a team that played not to lose. But I think we played with more urgency in the 2H when it was still tied.

Really wished there was a better angle on the Davies offside. Was pretty close.

Davies is on his way to being a terror it seems. The guy is very dangerous.

Anyone else notice how often the road team loses if they score an early goal? Seems like the road team just packs it in and hopes to carry that one goal for a win or draw.

Overall congrats to Mexico. They played to win and we didnt for the most part. Hopefully Honduras doesnt win tonight and we can stay a few points off of the 4th place team.

This is the typical US football I was talking about. They go into bunker mode and allow the other team to pepper the goal with shots and corners. You can't sit back on your heels and pray that your defense holds up. Especially when your back line is playing with some cards. Not having Altidore out there earlier is a joke as well.

Really looked like after the first goal we were trying to save our legs. I know hindsight is 20/20 but I really wish we would have gone for broke after it was 1-0 instead of bunkering down. If we couldve pushed it to 2-0, I'm sure Mexico wouldve had a huge meltdown. After Mexico tied it, I was just waiting for the 2nd goal to come before the half but was surprised we held it off.

Oh well, I'm not going to get worked up over this one. Once again, both teams held serve in qualifying.

Well Honduras just made Costa Rica their b**** with a 4-0. Thats good enough to take over 2nd place in the group.

w L T GF GA GD PTS

Costa Rica 4-2-0 9 9 0 12

Honduras 3-2-1 10 6 +4 10

USA 3-2-1 11 8 +3 10

Mexico 3-3-0 8 9 -1 9

El Salv. 1-3-2 6 8 -2 5

T&T 1-3-2 7 11 -4 5

September is going to be really interesting.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 05:06 PM)
Who was it defending Mexico's fan's class earlier in the thread? Yeah...

You're prolly mean me...

I'm not condoning asshole fan behavior but there are assholes all over the world,not just Mexican soccer fans.

You're probably just pissed because Mexico kicked the crap out of the Yanks at NYC and came from behind to beat them again in Mexico City...better luck next time.

Like I've said before,not a huge soccer fan,don't hate the sport,will watch it from time to time and I know this much...the USA and Mexico will both by in the WC where they'll most likely make it to the second round (depending on how tough is the group they'll be in) and bow out without much fanfare leaving the usual WC super powers like ITA,BRA,GER,ARG,ENG or FRA to win the whole thing...after all,those are basically the only teams that ever win the WC.

That get's old pretty fast IMO.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 08:25 AM)
This is the typical US football I was talking about. They go into bunker mode and allow the other team to pepper the goal with shots and corners. You can't sit back on your heels and pray that your defense holds up. Especially when your back line is playing with some cards. Not having Altidore out there earlier is a joke as well.

Well with a game in Mexico at a stadium that they've never won at, I can see the logic in wanting to play defensive, and get Mexico on the counter attack.

In other news, Australia beat Ireland 3-0 in Ireland last night, Timmy Cahill getting a double.

Could be our best international result in the past few years, as Ireland had only lost once in 12 games under Trappatoni before hand.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 09:39 AM)
Well with a game in Mexico at a stadium that they've never won at, I can see the logic in wanting to play defensive, and get Mexico on the counter attack.

In other news, Australia beat Ireland 3-0 in Ireland last night, Timmy Cahill getting a double.

Could be our best international result in the past few years, as Ireland had only lost once in 12 games under Trappatoni before hand.

I just want to see Ireland in the WC for once. They keep coming up just short.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 02:10 AM)
I just want to see Ireland in the WC for once. They keep coming up just short.

They've got a crucial qualifier coming up against Cyprus in the next few days IIRC, but I agree that it'd be good to finally see em in a World Cup again.

And they've got some talent in Robbie Keane, Shay Given etc. to possibly do some damage if things go their way.

As for the Aussies, things are looking pretty rosy right now. They play the 4-2-3-1 formation very well, and they're becoming very hard to score against.

As for the USA, you guys have got 3 games at home still right, so you should have no problem qualifying.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 11:16 AM)
They've got a crucial qualifier coming up against Cyprus in the next few days IIRC, but I agree that it'd be good to finally see em in a World Cup again.

And they've got some talent in Robbie Keane, Shay Given etc. to possibly do some damage if things go their way.

As for the Aussies, things are looking pretty rosy right now. They play the 4-2-3-1 formation very well, and they're becoming very hard to score against.

As for the USA, you guys have got 3 games at home still right, so you should have no problem qualifying.

USA has two at home, two on the road

09/05 vs. El Salvador in Salt Lake

09/09 at Trinidad & Tobago

10/10 at Honduras

10/14 vs. Costa Rica in Washington DC

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 11:24 AM)
USA has two at home, two on the road

09/05 vs. El Salvador in Salt Lake

09/09 at Trinidad & Tobago

10/10 at Honduras

10/14 vs. Costa Rica in Washington DC

I'll be pretty shocked if the US doesn't win 3 from that group of games. Not worried.

Landon played the game with swine flu.

Felt a little sick in Miami and got tested. Found out yesterday that it was the swine flu.

Sucks because he might not have gotten blown by during the run that made it 2-1 if he was 100%.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 01:52 AM)
English Premier League kicks off tonight.

I have $100 on Chelsea beating Hull, Man United beating Birmingham and Aston Villa beating Wigan to get back $225.

Well, your first leg made you sweat it out!

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 03:20 AM)
ESPN2 will have that Chelsea/Hull game. They bought out Fox Soccer Channel for Premier League rights on Friday and are showing the game Saturday. They already had the UK deal, but now they are able to show the games in the US.

I was thrilled when my TiVo season pass had EPL Fan Zone set to record this week. One of my favorite shows! I get a good belly laugh at least 3-4 times a show

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 01:10 AM)
Well, your first leg made you sweat it out!

Yep they certainly did, Villa ruined it for me though.

Good start for my Hammers beating Wolves 2-0. Another top 10 finish beckons this season.

LOL at Everton also. Maybe Fabregas can get back to the form of 2 seasons ago.

Sunderland and Chelsea was an entertaining match. Chelsea was sweating it out at the half as Bent put Sunderland ahead early but the re-gained composure and went on to win 3-1.

Wolves also got a 1-0 win at Wigan. Milijas is playing REALLY well so far for Wolves.

Another young Serbian international signs with a big club today as 21 year old Nemanja Matic joins Chelsea. Vidic, Tosic, and Ljajic at ManU, Ivanovic, Rajkovic, and now Matic at Chelsea, Milijas at Wolverhampton, Zigic at Valencia, Dragutinovic at Sevilla, Subotic at Dortmund, Stankovic at Inter, etc....