Official Soccer Thread

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 06:33 PM)
Ireland gets screwed in OT. Henry handled the ball (more like palmed) and no call directly leading to the goal. Shocking that Ireland got screwed by the refs there, completely shocking.

Unbelievable. For something like that to determine which team stays home and which team goes to the biggest tournament in the world. Absolutely disgraceful. Bulls*** move by Henry, f***ing pitiful.

Of all the mother f***ing teams to keep the irish out. The f***ing french. Are you kidding me. I would rather lose to Andorra than the f***ing french. I forgot that in OT the rules automatically change to Gaelic Football where you can use your hands. Henry can go to hell. Cheating bastard....

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 12:59 AM)
Henry admitted in a quote that he handled the ball.

I can't get mad at him. It's the ref's job (or sideline official) to make the call. Henry just kept playing. Don't hate him, hate the blown call.

Wait a second. So if a person cheats in a sporting event and the refs don't catch it everything is absolved. I can get mad at Henry. Its not like his arm just accidentally came in contact with the ball. He purposely changed the course of the ball, set it on a tee so he could drive it in from less than a meter out. The blind ref just adds to it. The cheater is still culpable even though the blind ref didn't see it. World class football players don't just happen to palm the ball right in front of the goal mouth.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 06:01 PM)
Anyone planning on heading out to South Africa in 2010?

Possibly, I have a lot of mates in England who are probably going to come down for it, so it'd be cool to do from that perspective.

Wish I could have done Germany 2006, because by all accounts that was an absolute blast, and South Africa isn't the safest country going around either.

As for Ireland, well we had the Hand of God in 1986 with Diego Maradona, and 23 years later, history has repeated itself.

I hope that referee doesn't go to the World Cup, even if he is one of the best in the world, because you just can't make a mistake not that big, and the linesman should have seen it as well.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 02:01 AM)

I really, really want to. But it's been tough finding people who want to go and it's an expensive trip so it's looking like it won't happen. I doubt i'll be going to Brazil in 2014 so it looks like I won't be going to a WC until 2018 wherever it is in Europe.

As for the France-Ireland game, how unfortunate for Ireland to lose like that. I was really rooting for them. At the same time, in the heat of the moment it may have just been a reaction from Henry. The ref or linesman has to make that call. There is no excuse for missing a call that obvious and blatant. The fault completely lies with them.

Also, poor Robbie Keane, he had a golden opportunity to win it in regulation and made a bad decision that cost him.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 01:01 AM)

I have a group of friends that went to Germany and are planning on going to SA, was thinking of going, but one of my best friends is having a destination wedding and I have an opportunity to go to Australia, both trips I will save for over the WC trip at this point

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 01:40 AM)
Wait a second. So if a person cheats in a sporting event and the refs don't catch it everything is absolved. I can get mad at Henry. Its not like his arm just accidentally came in contact with the ball. He purposely changed the course of the ball, set it on a tee so he could drive it in from less than a meter out. The blind ref just adds to it. The cheater is still culpable even though the blind ref didn't see it. World class football players don't just happen to palm the ball right in front of the goal mouth.

I want players to do whatever possible to win. Henry already had the ball hit his arm and the ball was going out. He made a play on the ball to create this opportunity, all you can ask of a player. It's not his job to be a fair player (just don't be dirty), it's the refs jobs to catch him.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 08:58 AM)
I really, really want to. But it's been tough finding people who want to go and it's an expensive trip so it's looking like it won't happen. I doubt i'll be going to Brazil in 2014 so it looks like I won't be going to a WC until 2018 wherever it is in Europe.

As for the France-Ireland game, how unfortunate for Ireland to lose like that. I was really rooting for them. At the same time, in the heat of the moment it may have just been a reaction from Henry. The ref or linesman has to make that call. There is no excuse for missing a call that obvious and blatant. The fault completely lies with them.

Also, poor Robbie Keane, he had a golden opportunity to win it in regulation and made a bad decision that cost him.

Well hopefully the USA gets it in 2018 or 2022. We'll find out in December.

My best friend coached Brad Guzan in high school and remains good friends with him. It looks like Guzan will be the backup in goal for the 2010 WC and possibly take over for the 2014 WC. My friend and I have thought about going (well he wants to go really badly and is trying to get me to go along), especially since we would probably be able to have some kind of exposure to the team and Brad, but I'm just not sure if I can swing it or not.

Has anyone here been to one before? Is it crazy?

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 05:39 PM)
Well hopefully the USA gets it in 2018 or 2022. We'll find out in December.

That'll be very interesting because both England and Australia are going hard for that also.

England's probably gonna get it in 2018 I would say, while Australia's probably a better chance for 2022.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 08:28 PM)
My best friend coached Brad Guzan in high school and remains good friends with him. It looks like Guzan will be the backup in goal for the 2010 WC and possibly take over for the 2014 WC. My friend and I have thought about going (well he wants to go really badly and is trying to get me to go along), especially since we would probably be able to have some kind of exposure to the team and Brad, but I'm just not sure if I can swing it or not.

Has anyone here been to one before? Is it crazy?

Guzan's pretty unlucky that he's stuck behind Brad Friedel at Aston Villa ATM, some Villa fans actually think he is the better goalkeeper, but Friedel's probably been a top 5 keeper in the EPL over the past 5-6 seasons, even though he's about 40 now.

If you can go, especially with the chance to get some close access to the US team, by all means I'd recommend it.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 08:28 AM)
That'll be very interesting because both England and Australia are going hard for that also.

England's probably gonna get it in 2018 I would say, while Australia's probably a better chance for 2022.

Yeah Europe's gotta be getting it in 2018 I'd think. I know Australia is making a push for it, but I think the US has a great chance at the 2022 WC. To this date the WC in 1994 was the most attended and drew the largest revenue and ratings.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 07:30 AM)
Guzan's pretty unlucky that he's stuck behind Brad Friedel at Aston Villa ATM, some Villa fans actually think he is the better goalkeeper, but Friedel's probably been a top 5 keeper in the EPL over the past 5-6 seasons, even though he's about 40 now.

If you can go, especially with the chance to get some close access to the US team, by all means I'd recommend it.

Yeah, he is unlucky, but his time will come.

He got a start a few weeks ago and saved 4 pk's....got a lot of good press out of that.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 11:14 PM)
Tottenham beat Wigan 9-1 today.

Not like Wigan were supposed to win that match, but to lose 9-1, that's pretty bad indeed.

Wigan players are reimbursing any fans who traveled to the Tottenham game, cause they felt so bad they lost by so much

FIFA is such a f***ing joke. They'll "ban" Chile from the World Cup but wont do a replay of the France-Ireland match. Such a crooked organization.

undefined

ASUNCION, Paraguay (AP) -- Chile could be kicked out of the World Cup unless the Chilean club Rangers drops a court case by Dec. 3 contesting its disputed demotion to the second division of the national soccer league.

CONMEBOL, the governing body of South American soccer, said Thursday it was notified by FIFA about the possible sanction.

Rangers were deducted three points for using six foreign players -- the limit is five -- in a league match on Nov. 8. The three points cost them relegation to the second division, and last week they appealed the case to a Chilean court.

FIFA: No ref changes for World Cup

CAPE TOWN, South Africa -- FIFA has rejected the use of extra match officials at next year's World Cup despite the uproar over Thierry Henry's handball that helped France qualify at the expense of Ireland.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter said Wednesday that "there is no change for referees" at the World Cup, which begins June 11, but added there are plans to introduce more officials or technology at a later stage.

Henry handled the ball before setting up an equalizer in last month's 1-1 draw with Ireland in a World Cup playoff that put France through 2-1 on aggregate and eliminated the Irish.

Seriously, how hard would it have been to put an extra official behind each goal? It's not as if this is an important tournament or anything.

FIFA really sucks at fixing things and doing things the right way.