Official Soccer Thread

Yay! A soccer/futbol thread! Two thoughts, I love the black and sky blue Man. U uniforms and Chelsea looks tough. They made Arsenal look foolish the other day. Does anybody have the Fox Soccer Channel/Fox Sports World? That's how I keep up. I wished they showed Spanish League games. I'd like to see some Real Madrid or Barcelona games. I think DirecTV charges extra for Setanta.

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 03:39 PM)
Yay! A soccer/futbol thread! Two thoughts, I love the black and sky blue Man. U uniforms and Chelsea looks tough. They made Arsenal look foolish the other day. Does anybody have the Fox Soccer Channel/Fox Sports World? That's how I keep up. I wished they showed Spanish League games. I'd like to see some Real Madrid or Barcelona games. I think DirecTV charges extra for Setanta.

Everyone charges extra for Setanta, it's a premium channel. La Liga is on ESPN now actually and seems to be once a week, but I've only noticed Barcelona games.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 04:46 PM)
Everyone charges extra for Setanta, it's a premium channel. La Liga is on ESPN now actually and seems to be once a week, but I've only noticed Barcelona games.

I might have to look into the cost then.

I wouln't bother with Setenta personally, there's not a whole lot on there unless you're really into EPL.

If you need to watch a game on Setanta, just go to a pub or something, because there's more EPL games on FSC than there is Setanta.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 08:43 PM)
If you need to watch a game on Setanta, just go to a pub or something, because there's more EPL games on FSC than there is Setanta.

This is America. That's not that easy to find, not to mention most of the weekend games are on in the morning. It's not the most convenient set up.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
This is America. That's not that easy to find, not to mention most of the weekend games are on in the morning. It's not the most convenient set up.

Pretty much any British / Irish Pub will have Setanta. I found at least 5-6 in New York / New Jersey, although I'd imagine there's probably not as many in Chicago.

You are right about the conveinence though. I have to put up with watching the game at 2AM down here.

World Cup Draw is today. USA & Mexico get hosed by getting put into a pod with the Asia teams & New Zealand despite their high rankings, which means they wont have any of them in their group. Hopefully they can get South Africa from the top pod, instead of one of the top seven.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 09:01 AM)
World Cup Draw is today. USA & Mexico get hosed by getting put into a pod with the Asia teams & New Zealand despite their high rankings, which means they wont have any of them in their group. Hopefully they can get South Africa from the top pod, instead of one of the top seven.

It's tomorrow. (Dec 4th)

Best case scenario would be to draw South Africa, Algeria/Ghana, Slovenia

Worst case would be Brazil, France/Serbia, Ivory Coast/Cameroon

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 08:39 AM)
It's tomorrow. (Dec 4th)

Oops, thought today was Friday already. Not the best way to start the morning.

A Brazil, France, Ivory Coast, USA group would be a hell of a Group of Death

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 09:39 AM)
It's tomorrow. (Dec 4th)

I don't think you can draw another African team if you get South Africa in your group but that may be wrong

QUOTE (AssHatSoxFan @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 11:32 AM)
I don't think you can draw another African team if you get South Africa in your group but that may be wrong

No you're right. I forgot about that. Then best case would probably be to draw Chile or Uruguay from the CONMEBOL/CAF pool along with South Africa from pool A

Was kind of hoping Australia would face the U.S in the group stages but that won't be happening.

Besides South Africa, I'd love to get either England or the Netherlands out of Pool A.

England I think are susceptible, especially if they keep going with Emile Heskey next to Rooney, while if Robin Van Persie misses with an ankle injury, the Dutch lose their main strike weapon up front.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 08:51 AM)
Was kind of hoping Australia would face the U.S in the group stages but that won't be happening.

Besides South Africa, I'd love to get either England or the Netherlands out of Pool A.

England I think are susceptible, especially if they keep going with Emile Heskey next to Rooney, while if Robin Van Persie misses with an ankle injury, the Dutch lose their main strike weapon up front.

Really? I'd rather draw Argentina, Germany or even Spain before the Dutch.

Serbia gets Germany, Ghana, and Australia. Not an extremely horrible draw, but 3 very tough teams. Don't remember ever seeing Serbia play Australia and Ghana, but the last time we played Germany, we led 1-0 for like 80 minutes, then played all-defense hoping for the win and eventually lost 2-1. That was with a different coach and a less talented team. I like our chances of moving on. Our defense is what got us to the WC and it'll have to strong to move us through into the knockout rounds. Vidic/Subotic/Ivanovic and one of Dragutinovic/Obradovic/Lukovic/Kolarov. I'd expect at least 1 friendly with an African team before the WC to try and size up Ghana a bit.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 03:48 PM)
Serbia gets Germany, Ghana, and Australia. Not an extremely horrible draw, but 3 very tough teams. Don't remember ever seeing Serbia play Australia and Ghana, but the last time we played Germany, we led 1-0 for like 80 minutes, then played all-defense hoping for the win and eventually lost 2-1. That was with a different coach and a less talented team. I like our chances of moving on. Our defense is what got us to the WC and it'll have to strong to move us through into the knockout rounds. Vidic/Subotic/Ivanovic and one of Dragutinovic/Obradovic/Lukovic/Kolarov. I'd expect at least 1 friendly with an African team before the WC to try and size up Ghana a bit.

Ghana's strength is in their midfield. They lack a dangerous striker. Same can be said of Germany. Don't know much about Australia. So if defense is what Serbia is known for they should be in good shape to advance.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 04:19 PM)
Ghana's strength is in their midfield. They lack a dangerous striker. Same can be said of Germany. Don't know much about Australia. So if defense is what Serbia is known for they should be in good shape to advance.

You don't think Klose and Podolski are good forwards?