Official Soccer Thread

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 11:44 PM)
Depends on your definition of a lot of people. You need to buy the sports package just to get in on Comcast. That's going to eliminate an overwhelming majority of people.

Yes I know it was on Telemundo and Univision, but if you were willing to watch in Spanish without speaking Spanish I don't think you are the type of fan that is going to classify the country as 'pumped' by watching. To say everyone was pumped is reaching. All this coming from the guy who said the US shouldn't play or talk about soccer and they are the only country to not care about it, but everyone was pumped. Those 2 things don't match.

I thought it was fairly clear that "everyone" meant the people who give a s*** about soccer.

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 11:48 PM)
I thought it was fairly clear that "everyone" meant the people who give a s*** about soccer.

It's rare enough to see the national team play that I'm always going to try to watch as long as they aren't playing Grenada or the like. However, I'll speak for myself in saying I watched with interest, but I was far from pumped up. MLS sucks and this team had a lot of those guys and few younger prospects.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 12:40 AM)
It's rare enough to see the national team play that I'm always going to try to watch as long as they aren't playing Grenada or the like. However, I'll speak for myself in saying I watched with interest, but I was far from pumped up. MLS sucks and this team had a lot of those guys and few younger prospects.

Wait, so you wouldn't watch the US National Team play if they were playing Grenada or am I reading that wrong?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 01:01 AM)
Wait, so you wouldn't watch the US National Team play if they were playing Grenada or am I reading that wrong?

They played Grenada in the Gold Cup opener and I had no desire to watch. I don't see why this is relevant, it's like watching the Sox play a AA team.

All it shows is that Mexico has better depth of talent in their ranks than the US at this stage.

And that's the challenge for US Soccer, to improve on not only their star players (to generate more) but to improve on their depth also.

Im not so sure what yesterday's game proves. Sure the US lost in devastating fashion, but some times in soccer once a team goes up 2-0 the score can get out of hand because the other team brings to many people forward. The US defense failed to step up to set the off side trap properly and gave up some good chances to Mexico.

As for the depth argument, I believe that about half the players on that team will be starting for Mexico in Azteca. On the other hand 1-2 may be starting for the US.

The real shame here is that the US did not field a better team. I mean does Altidore and others not need the experience all of a sudden?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 03:58 PM)
The United States should just be banned from talking about or being involved in anything that has to do with soccer. I'm so tired of this s***. That's what they deserve for paying him 250 million thinking he can make it popular in the US. If the Galaxy went out and signed Messi right now, I wouldn't give 2 s***s because the MLS is a joke.

And anyone who is blaming Beckham for "taking up soccer" is ridiculous. What was he supposed to say? That he didn't want to be there and that the United States is retarded for not liking soccer? Give me a break. It was a stupid move by the MLS and by Beckham. But at least Beckham got paid.

What an incredibly ignorant statement.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)
Im not so sure what yesterday's game proves. Sure the US lost in devastating fashion, but some times in soccer once a team goes up 2-0 the score can get out of hand because the other team brings to many people forward. The US defense failed to step up to set the off side trap properly and gave up some good chances to Mexico.

As for the depth argument, I believe that about half the players on that team will be starting for Mexico in Azteca. On the other hand 1-2 may be starting for the US.

The real shame here is that the US did not field a better team. I mean does Altidore and others not need the experience all of a sudden?

I don't know if I buy the depth argument either. Mexico probably has the best young player in the continent but the team we fielded isn't expected to contribute much. A lot of our young players who could have been included (should have been) were not.

It was a disappointing loss, especially in a 5-0 fashion, and it would have been nice to win the tourney, but it really doesn't matter. No country fielded much of a squad (except possibly Costa Rica) so it doesn't really prove or disprove much, regardless of what the outcome was.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)

I dont think any of the guys from yesterday's final will be starting in Azteca barring an injury.

I'm pretty sure Altidore not playing had more to due with him trying to secure a spot with his club team. It'll be more important for his development for him to play a full season at the club level than playing 6 games in the GC and possibly pissing off his club coach and falling behind.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 02:26 PM)
Jozy Altidore is going to be in the Premier League this season on loan to Hull City per his twitter.

Good. His team will be weak but that's probably better since he'll be looked upon to play a key role against world class competition.

Hull missed out on Bobby Zamora and Phil Brown's been desperate for a striker.

Cousin and Boateng are pretty crap by Premier League standards, so I think Altidore should start for Hull if he can perform.