AJ in the 2nd half

BigSqwert

AJ in the 2nd half  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What would you rather see from AJ in the 2nd half if you had a choice?

• The current pace (.320ish hitter with another 5-7 HRs)
    • A .280ish hitter with 15 or more HRs in the 2nd half

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 12:49 PM)
Personally I'm content with the way AJ is hitting. I'd love for him to take more pitches but that's not who he is.

This is how he hit in Minnesota, and for the most part how he hit in SF. I'll take a .300 average with a few big hits and calling a good game anytime. He is such a target, he takes a lot of attention and pressure away from his teammates. The guy is worth his weight in gold, IMO, even at today's inflated gold prices.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 12:52 PM)
This is how he hit in Minnesota, and for the most part how he hit in SF. I'll take a .300 average with a few big hits and calling a good game anytime. He is such a target, he takes a lot of attention and pressure away from his teammates. The guy is worth his weight in gold, IMO, even at today's inflated gold prices.

^^^

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 12:49 PM)
Personally I'm content with the way AJ is hitting. I'd love for him to take more pitches but that's not who he is.

We don't need the higher HR totals from AJ. He gets them at the right time and with all the other pop in the line-up (Thome, Konerko, Dye, Crede), the home run threat is always there. Getting on base at a good clip and continuing or starting rally's is what we need. Sometimes getting a key base hit and knocking in one or two is better than clearing the bases with a HR. Seems like mentally the guys keep try to do something if there is someone on the bags versus them being empty.

.280 with 15 + HRs in half a year? yeah ill take that please

Lets say AJ gets 260 ABs in the second half (about the same as in first half)

a .280 average gives him 73 hits in 260 ABs, .320 gives him 83 hits in 260 ABs.....

So thats about 10 fewer hits, but 10 more HRs. So essentially its trading 10 nights where AJ goes 2-4 with no homers for 10 where he goes 1-4 with a HR. Those extra ten HR are a guaranteed 10 runs minimum, where those extra 10 singles aren't

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 09:41 PM)
.280 with 15 + HRs in half a year? yeah ill take that please

Lets say AJ gets 260 ABs in the second half (about the same as in first half)

a .280 average gives him 73 hits in 260 ABs, .320 gives him 83 hits in 260 ABs.....

So thats about 10 fewer hits, but 10 more HRs. So essentially its trading 10 nights where AJ goes 2-4 with no homers for 10 where he goes 1-4 with a HR. Those extra ten HR are a guaranteed 10 runs minimum, where those extra 10 singles aren't

singles can continue rallies that home runs tend to kill at times since no one is on base and the rally has to basically be started over. it's more a psychological thing than anything. keeping AJ what he is comfortable with.