Barons Are going to make an announcment tomorrow

Chisoxfn

I assume the Sox and Barons are going to extend there agreement, but the release I got gave no guarantee of that. I guess we'll all find out tomorrow around 1 when the announcement is made.

I hope the Sox and Barons stay affiliated. The Barons have been a very sucessful team while utilizing players from the organization.

Guest FutureSox.com

Birmingham to announce the future of its affiliation with the White Sox

Press Release from Birmingham Barons

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (July 19, 2006) The Birmingham Barons will hold a press conference on Thursday afternoon, July 20th, to announce the future of the teams affiliation with the 2005 World Champion Chicago White Sox.

http://www.futuresox.com/frontpage/modules...cle&sid=343

I always thought the Barons and Sox had something good going, I wonder why they would split if they are going to at all. On the upside the Sox might be able to land an Eastern League team to continue with getting all their affiliates close together.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 02:12 PM)
That doesn't sound very hopefully, or is it just me?

The announcement was everything will stay the same. www.barons.com has the article.

Edited by bbmom

Yep 4 year extension. The Barons and the Sox have a very good relationship so I would have been shocked had they parted ways.

Great news. I have always wanted to see a game there and see the city. Looks like I have a nice window of time to cross that off my to-do list. It's good to have stable affiliate relationships.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 02:38 PM)
Great news. I have always wanted to see a game there and see the city. Looks like I have a nice window of time to cross that off my to-do list. It's good to have stable affiliate relationships.

I'm sure the Sox are always interested in moving closer to the other affiliates but they got too good of a thing going with the city of Birmingham and the team. And yep, its really nice to have stability. I know if I ever get in the area I definately want to check out the Met and also make a drive to the old stadium that they play in once a year (Rickwood or something).

Considering the Sox World Series trophy will be at the Hoover Met Saturday night, this was simply timing. Wish I saw this thread a day earlier so I could save you boys some worrying. ;-)

JimH, Jason, if you ever get off your arses and get to Birmingham, I'd be happy to show you around. FWIW, the Barons actually play in the city of Hoover, not Birmingham, but that's just being picky. Rickwood Field in Birmingham is also a must see.