College Hoops 2K7

E3 06: College Hoops 2K7 Hands-On

Is there such a thing as May Madness? If so, we've got it after checking out 2K Sports' new college basketball game on the floor of E3.

By Brian Ekberg, GameSpot

LOS ANGELES--Though the original debut of 2K Sports' College Hoops on the Xbox 360 came out just a few months ago, the development team behind the game is already hard at work working on the next game in the series, College Hoops 2K7. We had a chance to check out a work-in-progress build of the game on the show floor at the Electronic Entertainment Expo to see how the game has changed since last time.

The biggest change we noticed in 2K7's gameplay was a pretty subtle tweak to the steal mechanics debuted in last year's game. You can still pull off defensive moves by using the right analog stick, but instead of simply swiping the ball to the left or right, you can put a hand up to either the right or left, presumably to get in the way of an attacking player. Alternately, you can go for an actual steal or put a hand up in a shooter's face to try to disrupt his shot. Honestly, although we found it pretty easy to pull off these different moves, it was a bit tough to see how they affected the game on the defensive side of the ball.

Otherwise our game time with 2K7 felt a lot like last year's game--we played a quick match between UConn and Duke, and much like the previous games, it plays like the college game--where smart passing and running set plays usually pay off more than depending on a superstar. We liked seeing the variety of passes found in the game--everything from bounce passes to tosses from the chest were there. Of course, errant passes were routinely picked off by the game's aggressive D, which is a good sign for things to come. Controls seem to be nearly unchanged from last year--you use the left button to call for a pick, the right trigger for sprinting down court, the left trigger for the aggressive modifiers and post play moves, and so on.

Graphically, College Hoops wasn't as flashy or fancy as its NBA cousin, NBA 2K7. Still, we did notice some nice reflections in the hardwood as well as some nice camera angles during free-throw attempts, which we hadn't noticed before--they did a good job of showing off 2K7's next-gen player models, which probably don't match up to NBA's instantly recognizable stars but don't look bad by any stretch. This is a college game, so the players were generally smaller than the pros, which is right in line with the real thing. Better yet, frame rate issues were practically nonexistent in our time with the game.

Considering that last year's dynasty mode was a nice improvement over the previous game, we're hoping that we'll see a similar upgrade this time around, though 2K wasn't ready to talk about much in the way of new features at press time. For the time being, we're happy to report that College Hoops is playing much like you would hope a college basketball game would play. According to game producers, 2K7 is currently 50 percent along in development, so we're certain there will be plenty more in the way of news in the coming weeks and months leading up to the game's fall release. Stay tuned for more.

-GameSpot

Release date is November 1st

screens from College Hoops 2007*

932932_20060505_thumb003.jpg932932_20060804_thumb002.jpg932932_75445.jpg

*screens from X-Box 360

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 04:06 PM)
Aww man, that cover is going to make me puke and have 2nd thoughts of buying the game. :)

He's no Bryan Mullins but I have no compaints. :P Seriously though, the college hoops games are actually my favorite video games around. I get so addicted to this every year when it comes out.

• 2 months later...

Bumpity bump. Game comes out on Monday and I will be getting it on Monday. I honestly can not wait as I absolutely love this franchise. I actually just downloaded all the player rankings so if anyone wants to know any just ask. This is the link I got 'em from http://2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98101 . Problem is that you have to be registered with the other forum to download.

Anyone else excited for this game or am I the only one ? :lol:

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 02:55 PM)
Am I going to have to kick your ass in this game as well? :D

PS Young and Tatum are rated better than every Illini player in the game. :)

Hey man, can I get some ratings for Al Thorton (12), Toney Douglas (23), Jason Rich (25), and Isiah Swann (3)?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 02:03 PM)
What about the Marquette trio? And Lazar Hayward?

Dom is an 83, Mcneal is an 81 and Matthews is a 77. And Hayward is a 70.

Dom is one of the better rated pg's in the whole game. The ratings overall are pretty low as the best players in the game are only 92's(Noah, Big Baby and Fazekas).

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 02:07 PM)
Hey man, can I get some ratings for Al Thorton (12), Toney Douglas (23), Jason Rich (25), and Isiah Swann (3)?

Thorton is an 84, Douglas is an 80, Rich is a 72 and Swann is a 77.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 03:10 PM)
Dom is an 83, Mcneal is an 81 and Matthews is a 77. And Hayward is a 70.

Dom is one of the better rated pg's in the whole game. The ratings overall are pretty low as the best players in the game are only 92's(Noah, Big Baby and Fazekas).

Thorton is an 84, Douglas is an 80, Rich is a 72 and Swann is a 77.

Gracias

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 01:55 PM)
Am I going to have to kick your ass in this game as well? :D

PS Young and Tatum are rated better than every Illini player in the game. :)

that's cause drunk driving isn't a rating on the game.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 01:26 AM)
Row,

Could you give me ratings on some Boston College players? Mainly the returning players:

Jared Dudley, Sean Marshall, Sean Williams, Tyrese Rice, Marquez Haynes, John Oates, Akida McClain.

I'm sitting at the computer lab right now and I have a long day ahead of me(yay ps3's) but when I get back I'll post 'em.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 02:11 AM)
Bumpity bump. Game comes out on Monday and I will be getting it on Monday. I honestly can not wait as I absolutely love this franchise. I actually just downloaded all the player rankings so if anyone wants to know any just ask. This is the link I got 'em from http://2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98101 . Problem is that you have to be registered with the other forum to download.

Anyone else excited for this game or am I the only one ? :lol:

I quickly regiserted, but don't have Microsoft Excel, so I can't view it.

May you please give me Georgetown's rankings?

Edited by Be Good

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 01:26 AM)
Row,

Could you give me ratings on some Boston College players? Mainly the returning players:

Jared Dudley, Sean Marshall, Sean Williams, Tyrese Rice, Marquez Haynes, John Oates, Akida McClain.

Sorry it took me so long but here ya go: Dudley is an 87, Marshall is an 80, Williams is a 73, Rice is a 76, Haynes is a 66, Oates is a 63 and McClain is a 71.

QUOTE(Be Good @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 10:41 PM)
I quickly regiserted, but don't have Microsoft Excel, so I can't view it.

May you please give me Georgetown's rankings?

Jeff Green is an 82, Hibbert is an 87(one of the best rated players in the game), Macklin is a 75, Ewing is a 71 and Summer is a 69. If you want anyone else just ask.

Anyone pick this up yet?

I'm thinking of getting it for X-box, but then again I haven't decided if I'm going to upgrade to the 360 after Christmas.

Any thoughts about the game would be appreciated, I had last year's version and thought it was very solid.

picked it up a few hours ago.

quick thoughts

-alot like last years, except graphical/athmosphere difference. (i'm also playing it on the 360 instead of ps2).

-fast breaks are real smooth, in fact the entire game plays real smooth, i've been impressed.

i simmed through a quick dynasty.

-recruiting and junk is pretty much the same as before (didn't think it needed to be fixed)

i can answer any questions for a few hours.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 12:38 PM)
Anyone pick this up yet?

I'm thinking of getting it for X-box, but then again I haven't decided if I'm going to upgrade to the 360 after Christmas.

Any thoughts about the game would be appreciated, I had last year's version and thought it was very solid.

Well it turns out the PS2 version comes out December 11th :( . The Xbox360 version is the one that is out. I'm also going to get a 360 for Christmas so I'm going to get it with the 360.