I actually want Dave Roberts as our LF

joeynach

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)
There's a difference between an old power hitter and an old speedy leadoff guy.

There's also a difference between one of the best power hitters of the past 25 years and an average to slightly above average lead off hitter.

For example, I see no difference between Kenny Lofton and Jim Thome...both were two of the best within their different aspects of the game, and learned how to adjust their game as their body started to wear down with age.

How about a guy like Danny Tartabull or Matt Williams who both pretty much broke down in their mid-30s? Juan Gonzalez, after being one of the premier power hitters in the AL for nearly 10 years, just fell off the face of the earth(though in his case, it could be due to a lack of steroids). Same song and dance with Albert Belle, and multiple other power hitters out there.

Leadoff hitters rarely lose their ability to make contact with the ball and get on base - they just lose their speed. Power hitters rarely lose their ability to hit the ball with power - they just start doing it much less consistently, and with much less power.

Edited by witesoxfan

"And how many players in the major leagues can actually do that?"

For players with about 400 At-bats, In 2005, I count 8. In 2006, 13.

But the real point to my statement was that there are PLENTY of players out there with an average over .300 and an OBP of about .400 (usually a little less) - something neither Roberts or sPods appears capable of accomplishing. In 2005, I count at least 46 players players with an BA/OPB higher than Roberts or sPods. In 2006, 33.

Maybe a better statement would be...

Your right. Every leadoff hitter SHOULD do that. It's too bad no lead off hitter really came close to that in 2006....

Maybe... but there are plently of better lead off hitters than Roberts or sPods. No where is it carved in stone that your lead off hitter must also be your left fielder - that's a corner KW has painted himself into... I guess everyone thinks that way because the Sox two most glaring needs right now are in LF and at lead off.

Roberts career is less than stellar (even less so than Dye's before he came to the Sox) and filled with a vairety of injuries. Plus, he's old. I can't believe he's even being discussed....

QUOTE(easyw @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 10:15 PM)
For players with about 400 At-bats, In 2005, I count 8. In 2006, 13.

But the real point to my statement was that there are PLENTY of players out there with an average over .300 and an OBP of about .400 (usually a little less) - something neither Roberts or sPods appears capable of accomplishing.

None of which are leadoff hitters.