Sox talking with Baltimore?

YASNY

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 01:03 PM)
I actually wouldn't be surprised if KW just kept him and give him one more shot at it. With that said he would probably look to upgrade at CF somehow to balance out the lineup more. Patterson is intriuging, i wonder what Baltamore would want for him? Would you guys trade Owens for him?

Now that the Cubs have all the talk around town, do you think KW will try to steal some of that energy and aqcuire a big name?? Things have been too quite lately....

I wouldn't be surprised if Pods was back in 2007 as well. Unless there is a huge difference in an upgrade like Crawford, I don't think the Sox are going to pay for a minimal upgrade. With the inflated FA market, the Pods in 2007 scenario is becoming more likely.

If Pods does come back, he needs to come back in awesome shape for ST.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 12:21 PM)
This offseason is a failure if we don't upgrade at the LF/leadoff position. Scott Podsednik is just not a good baseball player.

I really want KW to get creative and somehow turn one of our sp's into Carl Crawford through aquired spects.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 12:03 PM)
I actually wouldn't be surprised if KW just kept him and give him one more shot at it. With that said he would probably look to upgrade at CF somehow to balance out the lineup more. Patterson is intriuging, i wonder what Baltamore would want for him? Would you guys trade Owens for him?

Now that the Cubs have all the talk around town, do you think KW will try to steal some of that energy and aqcuire a big name?? Things have been too quite lately....

KW worries about making the Sox better, not what happens on the other side of town.

Any deal with Baltimore had better begin with Bedard otherwise they have nothing we need.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 01:03 PM)

Actually, if anything KW will wait even longer now so that the whole city can laugh at what the Cubs just did.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 01:40 PM)
KW worries about making the Sox better, not what happens on the other side of town.

Any deal with Baltimore had better begin with Bedard otherwise they have nothing we need.

Agree, but there is no way in hades the Orioles would deal a talent like Erik Bedard. No way...even they can't be that stupid.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 12:49 PM)
Agree, but there is no way in hades the Orioles would deal a talent like Erik Bedard. No way...even they can't be that stupid.

That's why I don't see them as a good fit for a trade. However, KW can work some pretty creative 3 way trades that may involve other teams.

The more I think about it, upgrading center with a guy like Patterson might be a good way to go. Anderson seems out of favor. If the Sox were to get a centerfielder to lead off like Patterson, Pierre, Figgins, or even Crawford (not sure if he can play center), they could keep Podsednik and put him in the mix with Anderson, Sweeney, Owens, Mackowiak, Gload, and Fields for left and let the best player or platoon duo earn the job. A speedy shortstop such as Rollins would work also. If Podsednik returns to form he would at the very least have value to trade. Especially if guys like Pierre and Matthews are really getting 10 mil per year contracts. If he doesn't really return, he can at least be moved with his reasonable contract. Let's keep Scotty but plan on him batting 9th instead of leadoff. It would give Ozzie his team speed.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 01:40 PM)

It'll end there, too. Bedard and Markakis are nearly untouchable. Rightfully so -- Bedard is, by himself, more valuable than any one of our starters.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 01:02 PM)
The more I think about it, upgrading center with a guy like Patterson might be a good way to go. Anderson seems out of favor. If the Sox were to get a centerfielder to lead off like Patterson, Pierre, Figgins, or even Crawford (not sure if he can play center), they could keep Podsednik and put him in the mix with Anderson, Sweeney, Owens, Mackowiak, Gload, and Fields for left and let the best player or platoon duo earn the job. A speedy shortstop such as Rollins would work also. If Podsednik returns to form he would at the very least have value to trade. Especially if guys like Pierre and Matthews are really getting 10 mil per year contracts. If he doesn't really return, he can at least be moved with his reasonable contract. Let's keep Scotty but plan on him batting 9th instead of leadoff. It would give Ozzie his team speed.

Patterson strikes out waaaay too much to be a leadoff hitter. And this team is gonna get a bullpen before they get a new LF/leadoff...unless they come together. So far, the addition by patience method seems to be working compared to what the free agents have been getting.

AND, if the Sox can't get everything they need through trades, I would be ok with the Sox fielding the same team again, but like someone said, Pods better be in damn good shape.